NCAA deciding how to fill Bowls

WarTiger

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25385705/with-40-bowls-spots-expected-open-ncaa-to-decide-how-to-fill-slots

With 40 bowls, NCAA to decide Monday how to fill expected vacancies

The need to populate a record 40 bowls is reaching critical mass.

The NCAA Football Oversight Committee will meet Monday by conference call to determine how to move forward if there aren't enough bowl-eligible teams to fill those 80 spots, CBS Sports has learned.

With two weeks left in the season, there are only 71 bowl-eligible teams -- those with at least six wins. The possibility remains that some bowls may have to take sub-.500 teams to fill out the bowl landscape now largely left unregulated by the NCAA.

Depending on how the issue is resolved, the possibility also exists that some bowls may not be played if there aren't enough teams to fill them.

“There's a lot of unknowns as we walk right to the lip of Armageddon and spit in it,” said Wright Waters, executive director of the Football Bowl Association.

Language remains unclear from three-year old legislation that basically took the NCAA out of regulating bowls. When the NCAA backed out, it retained the right to dictate how spots would be filled if there weren't enough bowl-eligible teams.

Those involved generally believe the NCAA will settle on populating bowls with sub-.500 teams based on their rank in the Academic Progress Rate. The 12-year-old metric ranks teams on their graduation rates. Football as a whole historically has the lowest APR among mainstream NCAA sports.

The solution will be “more art than science,” said one person involved in the process. The NCAA and committee waited until this point in the season because the situation is clearer.

Nine teams still have to become bowl-eligible. There are 14 teams nationwide with five wins with one game remaining. South Alabama is 5-5 with two games left.

There are eight other teams in the running with four wins: Texas, Kansas State, Georgia State and Louisiana-Lafayette have two games left; Colorado, Texas-El Paso, Rice and Vanderbilt have one game remaining.

According to a source, there is confusion because the NCAA board of directors' interpretation that only 5-7 teams in the top five of the APR could be eligible. In some years, that number could be zero.

One person close to the process called that interpretation “absurd.” All parties agree the intent is no bowls “go dark” (are not played). In the sometimes-shoestring budget of the bowl landscape, that could be fatal to an up-and-coming postseason game.

Because of deregulation, the number of bowls have skyrocketed in the last two years. Forty bowls means more than 62 percent of FBS teams will go to the postseason.

But how deserving will they be and will the public accept watching a 5-7 team?

“When the legislation was written, there was no language in the legislation that clearly described the practical application of how to use those 5-7 teams,” said Karl Benson, Sun Belt commissioner. “The intent was that a bowl game would not go dark. If that was the intent, what they crafted and what they're interpreting does not guard against that.”

Conferences most impacted at the moment are the Big Ten and Conference USA. Both leagues still have two bowl slots to fill. The ACC, Big 12 and Sun Belt have to fill one slot.

The SEC already has filled 10 of its slots. The Pac-12 has nine bowl-eligible teams, two more than needed for its seven bowls.

Benson presented this scenario the NCAA and committee will have to hash out: “If it's simply in APR order -- and this is the extreme -- if the Miami Beach Bowl needs a 5-7 team and the University of Hawaii has the highest APR and there's another 5-7 team someplace, are you telling me that Hawaii is going to be forced (to go to Miami)?”

Hawaii is not bowl-eligible this year, but in the expanding bowl universe, these are some of the biggest games of Friday and Saturday.

Teams in bold below are on the brink of bowl eligibility

Cincinnati (6-5) at East Carolina (5-6)

Tulsa (5-6) at Tulane (3-8)

Virginia Tech (5-6) at Virginia (4-7)

Iowa (11-0) at Nebraska (5-6)

Indiana (5-6) at Purdue (2-9)

Northwestern (9-2) at Illinois (5-6)

Wisconsin (8-3) at Minnesota (5-6)

Florida Atlantic (2-9) at Old Dominion (5-6)

UMass (2-9) at Buffalo (5-6)

Washington State (8-3) at Washington (5-6)

Louisville (6-5) at Kentucky (5-6)

Missouri (5-6) at Arkansas (6-5)

Boise State (7-4) at San Jose State (5-6)

this is what happens when you're mongry and you just add bowls and don't ever expect down seasons. You have 126 teams, you don't have a real plan in case say 48 of them go down?

I've been saying for years that there are way too many bowls. I think we added 4 this year. I love extra games to watch and I watch most of the bowls regardless of who's playing, but the product is getting seriously diluted and has been for years. Lots of those lower tier bowls are played in half empty stadiums. This kind of situation was bound to happen sooner or later. They really need to scale these back and quit making it a "participation type trophy" for so many teams.

IMO it's pretty clear which are the meaningful bowls from year to year so the waterdown effect is there but not too egregious. College football slut that I am, I'll tune into Army vs Purdue - unless Arsenal is playing Tottenham. An insentive to have these minor "bowls" is of course not so much filling the stadium as TV $ - because of sluts like me. Remember our first bowl game (Bacardi Bowl in Cuba) was a meaningless bowl at the time.

this is what happens when you're mongry and you just add bowls and don't ever expect down seasons. You have 126 teams, you don't have a real plan in case say 48 of them go down?

I've been saying for years that there are way too many bowls. I think we added 4 this year. I love extra games to watch and I watch most of the bowls regardless of who's playing, but the product is getting seriously diluted and has been for years. Lots of those lower tier bowls are played in half empty stadiums. This kind of situation was bound to happen sooner or later. They really need to scale these back and quit making it a "participation type trophy" for so many teams.

To say they are playing in half empty stadiums is pretty generous, i understand your point and agree.

The upside of the glut in bowls is, even when we have a down year, we get another paycheck to help cover the mounting costs of our program... and they pay no matter how empty the stadium.

I don't think there's too many bows. If i did, i wouldn't watch, problem solved. I do pray we somehow squeeze auburn into the music city bowl. Two years in a row i will freeze my nads off at that game. Please make it worthwhile.

The upside of the glut in bowls is, even when we have a down year, we get another paycheck to help cover the mounting costs of our program... and they pay no matter how empty the stadium.

Not so fast. We can lose money on a bowl if we don't travel well. Remember the school guarantees tickets.

+1

the only bowls that "mean anything" anymore are the two semifinals and the championship game, so I say let them all play and just enjoy the extra month of football the fans get to watch. no matter how awful they may be.

If the NCAA is having a hard time filling bowls might I suggest the following: Guacamole, tortilla chips, skittles, rotel... hunch punch is always a crowd pleaser.

I like the all the bowl games. They let you see some teams that otherwise you would bearly ever get to see. Please let us get a belk bowl invite! War Eagle!

That's the issue....and of course there is the view among city fathers (or mothers) that you are not a real or important city unless you can host a post-season football bowl....good publicity for the community and includes a few patronage jobs for friends and relatives.....and usually brings in a few visitors during the non-tourist season.

Even with the move to the 4 game playoff....I don't think the NCAA is going to get rid of the minor bowl games.

The reason is that no one really loses from the current system......players get to play another game which is fine with most of them I expect, towns get some publicity...... and those who are total football junkies (like me) sometimes get to watch entertaining games between a couple 6-6 teams.

As for the participants....that extra 15 days of practice is like gold....especially since the NCAA cutback on practice days and hours during the season and off-season practices.

So ...don't be a grouch about this....just exercise your right to hit the "off" button on the remote control....or find the TV Land channel and watch some old Andy Griffin re-runs.

Even with the move to the 4 game playoff....I don't think the NCAA is going to get rid of the minor bowl games.

The reason is that no one really loses from the current system......players get to play another game which is fine with most of them I expect, towns get some publicity...... and those who are total football junkies (like me) sometimes get to watch entertaining games between a couple 6-6 teams.

Indeed, they are a win for everyone. Towns get publicity and tourist revenue. Teams get extra practice and a chance to play an opponent they may have never played otherwise, and a chance to play a game where both teams have nothing to lose. For some of the minor conference teams, it could also be one of their few chances to play in a nationally-televised game.

Not so fast. We can lose money on a bowl if we don't travel well. Remember the school guarantees tickets.

Fortunately Auburn travels better than most teams.

this is just a prime example of how dumb people really are. did they really assume that no bowl will go dark if they keep adding bowl games and don't do anything else. what did they think will happen?? so when there are 74 bowl games what will they do.

however can a team not turn down a bowl given the invite nowadays? I am referring to the example about Hawaii going to Miami beach bowl they give.

But there are way too many games already and thats obvious.

It is not unprecedented for teams to turn down bowl games...Notre Dame has done it a couple of times (1996 and 2009), both times after coaches resigned/were fired.

Just by looking at that schedule with teams that could become bowl eligible, a fair number of them could get to 6.

I have to admit that I don't watch a lot of the 6-6 vs 6-6 type bowl games, especially if there is a quality college basketball game at the same time.

I'd say a fair compromise would be to limit the number of bowl games to 1/4 of the number of teams in FBS...that'd be about 32 now. Still enough to keep the hard-core bowl watcher satisfied while avoiding this potential "losing team in a bowl game" nonsense.

Playing football games in baseball parks is proof there are too many bowl games.

Like the Notre Dame vs Boston College game in Fenway last Saturday....a sacrilege ....and by two Catholic schools too.......

Too many bowl games? Blasphemy! It's more football! As long as there are cities/stadiums to host them and sponsors willing to pay for them, I say have at it. Run out of D-1 schools? Invite 1-AA. I don't care, it's football. We live in a country that packs out stadiums for spring scrimmages, for pete's sake. One time several years ago, Coach Tuberville figured out a way to have a "JV" game in the middle of the week against, I think, Georgia Military. I was there and several thousand more were as well. Sorry to rant, but I just don't see how more football is a bad thing.

Not sure you understand how the bowls work, or the fact that the universities involved are typically on the hook for any unsold tickets. But the bottom line is that going to a bowl is typically either a money losing proposition or turns a very small profit at best. AU doesn't have any concerns over "mounting costs." Anyway, the "they pay no matter how empty the stadium" is a very, very incomplete picture. The bowl system as it stands now is a scam. It may have always been a scam, but whether it was always a scam or not, it sure is now.

Archived