Ole Miss starts construction on NEZ project @ VHS

RunInRed

Bowling in the stadium ...

Day 2 of VHS north end zone project. Moving fast!

CUmUdFwUwAAf_9F.jpg

CUmUdFvUkAAEBT5.jpg

CUmUdFwUEAAOj9y.jpg

@RossBjorkAD

Background:

The master plan also includes two phases of renovation and expansion that will have Vaught-Hemingway Stadium completed by the start of the 2016 football season, bringing the seating capacity to 64,038.

The first phase will be a renovation and expansion of the south end zone, scheduled to start on January 7, 2015 and be finished for the first game of the 2015 season. As part of this phase, 30 luxury suites and 770 club level seats will be added. All 30 luxury suites have already been sold, and 60 percent of the club level seats have been sold.

“We chose the south end zone for the expansion of premium seating because it allows for us to capitalize on the efficiencies of using the same infrastructure already in place, such as a kitchen, elevators, concourse and access to parking,” Bjork said. “In addition to the premium seating, the south end zone’s main concourse will be expanded by 2,500 square feet to accommodate more walking space, as well as the addition of 43 new toilets and 32 concession points of sale.”

The second phase will be a renovation and expansion of the north end zone that will include the completion of the stadium seating bowl with a new brick and stone exterior that matches campus architecture.

Other additions include the installation of a 104-foot-wide and 49-foot-tall video board into the existing structure in the north end zone and the installation of two new 30-foot by 50-foot video boards flanking the sound end zone tower.

As part of the overall expansion in capacity and an effort to further integrate the student body into Ole Miss athletics, the student section will also see an increase in capacity and a move to the north end zone for the 2016 season.

“The student section will grow from 8,200 seats to just over 10,000 seats, but more importantly, the north end zone keeps more students closer to Hollingsworth Field where they can create the home-field advantage we know the Vaught must have to compete for championships,” Bjork said.

With the renovation and expansion, Ole Miss will be able to accommodate 5,500 more Rebel fans, once the stadium reaches a full capacity of 64,038 for the 2016 season. It will also include the addition of 185 new toilets and 56 concession points of sale in the stadium.

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121514aab.html

Renderings:

10627420.jpeg

10627421.jpeg

10627416.jpeg

10627418.jpeg

10627417.jpeg

10627413.jpeg

10627438.jpeg

Everybody keeps adding more seats to their stadium but us. Sooner or later, Vandy and Kentucky will pass us.

If you read the article, even with the expansion, their seating will still be 23,000 LESS than AUburn.

Everybody keeps adding more seats to their stadium but us. Sooner or later, Vandy and Kentucky will pass us.

Yep I hear Vandy is going to add 58,000 seats my 2018 just so they can pass Auburn

We'd better add some orange face masks too.

Yeah. But they don't have that big ol' TV we've got.

If you read the article, even with the expansion, their seating will still be 23,000 LESS than AUburn.

:lol: Him? Actually read anything? Sorry, but you are asking for way too much here. He never actually reads anything.

:lol: Him? Actually read anything? Sorry, but you are asking for way too much here. He never actually reads anything.

WT, come on, we all know that A4E is your alternate troll account. At least, for my own amusement, I imagine it that way. :tease:

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure expansions and upgrades are on hold for us.

May be 20k seats less but that is nice

Good for ole miss.

Wonder if you will still have to piss on the floor in the concrete trough under the stands when their finished? lol. In all seriousness I have always enjoyed my trips to Oxford and this will tie the stadium together nicely. Now if they will just do something about the damn cannon that scares the hell out of me the first couple of scores at that end.

I understand they are taking the artificial turf out and putting in grass? That alone is a huge upgrade. Being a little farther north, I guess they still will go with Bermuda grass?

Somebody is driving sheet piles. Not my company. Wondering who got the job. Sheet piles look to be crooked :rolleyes:

We've laid the foundation for many of the SEC expansions and are in the running for the new expansion at AU. Somehow this one slipped by me. I have heard brief mention of it around the office so we may have some caissons or piles we are doing. If so, I'll try and put out some feelers and see what I can dig up.

I understand the built in limitations, and I am happy for them, but compare this to the two phase expansion/renovation at Kyle Field. In one of the pictures it looks like contractors are just fabricating "bleachers" right there in the parking lot. Reminds me of my time at Plainsman Park in the 80's. That stadium looks like an erector set.

As mentioned, they are killing it in recruiting and this part of their facilities doesn't seem to be holding them back at all.

I understand the built in limitations, and I am happy for them, but compare this to the two phase expansion/renovation at Kyle Field. In one of the pictures it looks like contractors are just fabricating "bleachers" right there in the parking lot. Reminds me of my time at Plainsman Park in the 80's. That stadium looks like an erector set.

As mentioned, they are killing it in recruiting and this part of their facilities doesn't seem to be holding them back at all.

Those bleachers are the ones coming down, not going up.

Archived