Auburn must scheme to the their playmakers

StatTiger

Coming into this year's Iron Bowl, Auburn's offense has lacked the ability to generate explosive plays, which is not a good sign when facing a stingy Alabama defense. Despite only having 49 offensive touches this season, Roc Thomas is No. 3 in generating plays of 15-yards or more.

Ricardo Louis ............ 16

Peyton Barber ........... 12

Roc Thomas .............. 10

Jovon Robinson ........... 6

Melvin Ray ................... 4

Last season coming into the UAT game, Auburn's top play-makers looked like this...

Cameron Artis-Payne ........... 22

Duke Williams ....................... 19

Nick Marshall ........................ 17 (running)

Sammie Coates .................... 10

Quan Bray ............................. 8

Corey Grant and Melvin Ray both had 7 plays each to tie for No. 6.

Roc Thomas needs to be more involved in the offensive game plan this Saturday with at least 5-7 offensive touches. Placing him in space should be the key to give Auburn another play-maker on the field. The lack of another play-maker at WR will allow UAT to take Ricardo Louis out of the picture. Georgia limited Louis to 6 touches for 36-yards.

The play...

Idaho%20-%20Roc%2056%20TD%20run_zpsskv0raiu.jpg

On this play the Auburn offense has a 1st & 10 from their own 44-yard line. The Tigers will run a speed-sweep with Roc Thomas. The key to success on this is the performance of the H-Backs, Kamryn Pettway and Chandler Cox. Both make key blocks to spring Thomas to the edge and down the side line.

Tony Stevens stands out as well with his blocking at the point of attack and his continued hustle down the field to prevent the safety from running Thomas down behind. Speaking of Stevens, he is the 3rd most targeted receiver since the departure of Duke Williams. Auburn could really use him to step up in the Iron Bowl.

So do our offensive problems this year have anything to do with the fact that all of our top "play makers" from last year are gone?

Somebody explain to me again about how this team was supposed to be Play-off quality team? Well I guess Williams was supposed to be back....but who was supposed to make up for the other losses?

JMO...this team has performed about as well as should have been expected considering the player losses from last year on both sides of the ball. JJ and a few other guys are getting most of the blame...but it is a team issue....on offense and defense.

So do our offensive problems this year have anything to do with the fact that all of our top "play makers" from last year are gone?

Somebody explain to me again about how this team was supposed to be Play-off quality team? Well I guess Williams was supposed to be back....but who was supposed to make up for the other losses?

JMO...this team has performed about as well as should have been expected considering the player losses from last year on both sides of the ball. JJ and a few other guys are getting most of the blame...but it is a team issue....on offense and defense.

In theory, The combination of Jeremy Johnson, Duke Williams and Ricardo Louis was supposed to be the foundation of the pass-offense. There was talent at the RB position to take over for CAP and Grant. The questionable spot was the H-Back position and roles.

In Reality, JJ struggled so the pass-offense took a major hit. Sean White showed spark but was injured resulting in another set back in the passing game. Duke was booted and no other WR has been able to step up, leaving Ricardo to be the only playmaker at WR. Auburn never replaced the impact of Nick Marshall and the H-Back position is still in transition. I do believe Pettway and Cox will become a major strength with more experience. The RB position has been the most consistent on offense. The lack of "offensive punch" really hurts.

2 cents

Stat....agree with the assessment about the future....good young prospects in a number of positions....people just expecting too much from guys who had very little or no real experience. If / when the QB situation is settled, the offense should be more robust. ....hoping next year.

I didn't think this team was a playoff team. Too many unknowns, but you are out of your mind, if you think this team is a 6-5 team on paper.

I bet AU runs this a couple of times to RL and RT, then look for a play action off of it with a pass deep to the Z WR after faking to block. Might be most effective to throw off the play action right off the bat, instead of running the speed sweep first?? I imagine bama is going to be set to get up field the first time it is ran to stop it. CGM and CRL are gonna have to earn that pay check on Saturday!!

I didn't think this team was a playoff team. Too many unknowns, but you are out of your mind, if you think this team is a 6-5 team on paper.

Just about any team without a reliable QB is a 6-5 team (or worse) in the SEC .....in fact, I wonder if we had to play a couple of our "wins" in a do-over whether we would beat TAMU and UK on the road.

This team has a number of major holes / weaknesses....and every opponent knows them and exploits them...thus, IMO, the team's record reflects the abilities of the team....not necessarily the individuals.

Hoping next year will be better.

The tough thing there is that I don't really think of Ricardo as a play maker, either. We utilize him that way, but he drops plenty of passes and is as likely to turn a 1 yard screen pass into an 8 yard loss as he is the other way around. He is not the sort of dynamic, high probability that you would normally associate with the moniker "play maker". I don't think that we really have *any* "super star" play makers at WR.

Whats the reason for Jason Smith's lack of involvement in the offense? The coaches have talked him up since he arrived and going into the Idaho game he had 11 touches TOTAL on the season. In an offense desperate for big plays how has he managed to be so invisible?

The tough thing there is that I don't really think of Ricardo as a play maker, either. We utilize him that way, but he drops plenty of passes and is as likely to turn a 1 yard screen pass into an 8 yard loss as he is the other way around. He is not the sort of dynamic, high probability that you would normally associate with the moniker "play maker". I don't think that we really have *any* "super star" play makers at WR.

I think RL makes more positive plays than he does negative. He is definitely one of AU's playmakers. Sure he's had some drops, but he's caught way more than he's dropped.

I think RL makes more positive plays than he does negative. He is definitely one of AU's playmakers. Sure he's had some drops, but he's caught way more than he's dropped.

Agree...RL is as good as we've got....and considering the number of times he get's his hands on the ball, he has knocked off some pretty nice gains....but even with the speed, he's not able to put many points on the board.

The definition of play maker was Amari Cooper last year or the Coleman kid at Baylor......ALWAYS a threat to put up 6 points, no matter where he catches the ball. We just don't have anyone even close to them..but of course that talent is rare.

Auburn really lacks playmakers at WR but another issue is the confidence in QB.

Pct of pass attempts beyond 10-yards of the LOS:

2010: 42.2%

2011: 33.9%

2012: 43.9%

2013: 40.3%

2014: 41.3%

2015: 31.4%

I bet AU runs this a couple of times to RL and RT, then look for a play action off of it with a pass deep to the Z WR after faking to block. Might be most effective to throw off the play action right off the bat, instead of running the speed sweep first?? I imagine bama is going to be set to get up field the first time it is ran to stop it. CGM and CRL are gonna have to earn that pay check on Saturday!!

I was honestly hoping we run a flea flicker first play. Everybody in the universe expects us to run first. So trick them.

Just about any team without a reliable QB is a 6-5 team (or worse) in the SEC .....in fact, I wonder if we had to play a couple of our "wins" in a do-over whether we would beat TAMU and UK on the road.

This team has a number of major holes / weaknesses....and every opponent knows them and exploits them...thus, IMO, the team's record reflects the abilities of the team....not necessarily the individuals.

Hoping next year will be better.

Hmm LSU, Florida, UGA, Arkansas ( 5th-year sr at QB, who might be the most efficient QB in the SEC) and Texas A&M will disagree with you on that statement. It definitely more to it than that. I do agree with stat. WE lack explosive plays. Chalk it up to the inabilities of the QBs, lack of playmakers of the team or bad scheming, but we have drastically decreased our big playmaking ability this year. Oddly enough, I believe we have a crapload of playmakers on this team but injuries, discipline, scheming and execution has decimated this team.

EDIT: We are recruiting very well at the receiver position by actually getting TRUE receivers on the plains. Yes, yes this is splendid.

I was honestly hoping we run a flea flicker first play. Everybody in the universe expects us to run first. So trick them.

lol, might work too. Whatever it takes!!

Would it be fair to say that some of that is the lack of WR's getting open? The QBs have dropped back to throw deep several times but wound up not having anywhere to go. At least, that's what it has seemed like from time to time.

Would it be fair to say that some of that is the lack of WR's getting open? The QBs have dropped back to throw deep several times but wound up not having anywhere to go. At least, that's what it has seemed like from time to time.

Some, but most was that, except for Sean's last 3 games, there weren't a lot of passes called.

Perhaps but it has more to do with the coaches not having confidence in their QB's. The pass-offense began to open up White's last 3 starts but he got hurt. Passing game was aggressive early on with JJ until the 6 picks in his first 3 starts. They have been more careful since JJ has been starting again. Despite all that, JJ will need to let it rip against UAT if he starts.

Maybe it's about WRs not getting open early in the season but during the past last few games, it has been about the passes that have been called by the coaches with safety in mind.

As for JJ, when he drops to throw it deep....he usually throws it deep no matter what...and it worked that way for the first few games. But since SW got hurt, JJ's efforts were mostly quick darts behind or near the LOS to uncovered receivers who were then supposed to create the play by juking a defender...and hoping the WR made a reasonable block on the CB or LB. Mostly they just look like a extension of the running game. I'm afraid that stuff will not work against bama. JMO

Archived