Kirby to South Carolina?

Randman5000

FWIW:

http://collegefootba...dc-kirby-smart/

Gamecocks may be focusing coach search on Tide DC Kirby Smart

A pair of signs that developed Wednesday are pointing to Nick Saban possibly needing to replace his long-time defensive boss this offseason.

According to Yahoo Sports‘ Pat Forde, current Houston head coach Tom Herman, who has a significant raise on the table from his current employer, is no longer a candidate for the same job at South Carolina as he’s withdrawn his name from consideration. Forde writes that “Herman had been the school’s top choice to replace Steve Spurrier, sources said, and third-party discussions had been extensive.”

Nearly simultaneously, Bruce Feldman of FOXSports.com reported that ‘Bama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart “has emerged as the frontrunner for the South Carolina head coaching vacancy.” Forde also mentioned that Smart could be the Gamecocks’ Plan B, while ESPN.com wrote that the 39-year-old “has emerged as one of the leading candidates” for the vacancy in Columbia.

Smart has had a handful of opportunities to leave Saban’s staff since joining it in 2007, but has thus far chosen to remain in Tuscaloosa.

If Smart is indeed USC’s top candidate, a fellow SEC East rival could throw a wrench in those plans. Should Georgia and Mark Richt decide to part ways, Smart, who played his college football at UGA, would be a likely candidate to replace the long-time head coach. In addition to playing for the Bulldogs, Smart began his career as an administrative assistant at his alma mater and coached running backs there in 2005 before joining Saban with the Miami Dolphins and, ultimately, the Tide.

Good, good. The sooner Saban and his lackeys disperse from T-town the sooner the NCAA will no longer have any holds on laying the banhammer on uat

That would be a win for everyone.....well except for USCe. Take an unproven coach to fight the SEC wars.....generally that has not worked all that well lately. JMO but I think that experience as a winning HC is under-rated.

Would Saban try to pry Mushchamp from us if Smart leaves Bama?

I was about to post the same thing!! Did Will have his fill of working with saban after the Dolphins?

I don't think this is something to be concerned about.

I've seen more people (lsu fans of course) saying that muschamp follows Jimbo to LSU more than I've heard that.

I've seen more people (lsu fans of course) saying that muschamp follows Jimbo to LSU more than I've heard that.

People surprise you sometimes...but I'm wondering why CWM would take the same job at another SEC school? Hard to believe that LSU or any other school would match his AU salary....and why pull his family up after just a year here?

Anyone suggesting a Muschamp departure ought to also explain why he would make a move.

People surprise you sometimes...but I'm wondering why CWM would take the same job at another SEC school? Hard to believe that LSU or any other school would match his AU salary....and why pull his family up after just a year here?

Anyone suggesting a Muschamp departure ought to also explain why he would make a move.

Exactly what I said. You have the "done deal" crew and people beleving it so you know how that goes lol.

Only way it would make any sense is if there was major personality clash on staff or something

Personality clash or not confident in the direction of the program and the culture he alluded to that needed changing would be the only reasons I can see him leaving. Just was wondering if anybody heard anything because of their previous working relationship

Well they will be disappointed on 2 fronts. Muschamp is not doing any laterals and Jimbo will only move for 2 jobs. One is across the state and the other is in Austin.

Well they will be disappointed on 2 fronts. Muschamp is not doing any laterals and Jimbo will only move for 2 jobs. One is across the state and the other is in Austin.

This.

Archived