Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

He did not forget how to coach winning football. He just whiffed on the QB position this season, and it cost the team dearly. Unexpected, perplexing, shocking are just a few of the reactions coach had to have had as it became ultimately evident that he could not win non-cupcake games with JJ. The team fought, the D improved, and he never lost control of his players. I believe that going into the offseason he has learned: QB play is THE key to his TEAM, not just offense, performing well. Though there were many head-scratching play calls in games this year, the real problem was the personnel just not effectively executing what was called. Chronic pass drops, poor QB throws/decisions, and lack of offensive leadership doomed the team this season. I look for us to be night-and-day improved next year, with little-to-no preseason expectations.

What do you guys think Malzahn will learn from ruminating on the season's performance?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, but you know what they say "There's nothing like a bought lesson" and he bought this one.

Hope his has learned to evaluate talent and prepare the team better.

I am not sure what was learned. Not sure that he knows. If you can't see that JR, KJ, JS and Roc are your only big play potential players on the team, and that you need to all of the guys invovled in the game plan. Not sure it will get better.

Simply put: You can't win in the SEC West without a QB.

It would help to have D linemen and LB's that can wrap-up Coker and hold the turds

to under 200 yards rushing, but we can't do that either, so we lose!

I am not sure what was learned. Not sure that he knows. If you can't see that JR, KJ, JS and Roc are your only big play potential players on the team, and that you need to all of the guys invovled in the game plan. Not sure it will get better.

This. If you can't craft a game plan around your playmakers, you have what we saw today.

The play of JJ obviously crippled the offense to a large degree. That being said the inability of the offensive staff to find ways to involve Jason Smith and Jovon Robinson(among others) is a huge problem. I can't tell who calls what or decides what but it was a massive collective failure this season. Feel good about the defense and their future if Muschamp stays. If not I have little hope for next season.

He needs another great All-conference DTQB to make him look like a genius.

Hope we can find one quickly.

Newsflash: Coaches need great players to look great. Details at 11.

Brandon Cox could've won this game, and I'm pretty confident a healthy Sean White can be a great QB for us going by decision making alone.

Brandon Cox could've won this game, and I'm pretty confident a healthy Sean White can be a great QB for us going by decision making alone.

True. I'm just poking at this notion that somehow only Gus is reliant on great players at key positions to look good. Lane Kiffin hasn't exactly been calling plays all these years at USC and Alabama for the likes of Rusty Williams, Clint Moseley and BoBo the Dancing Anteater at WR. Saban hasn't been making national title runs with a bunch of 3-star diamonds in the rough.

If we have consistently above average QB play next season we win a lot of games. Schedule sets up nicely for us. Defense is head and shoulders improved. The improvements made this season were evident, and I expect next year to be better.

True. I'm just poking at this notion that somehow only Gus is reliant on great players at key positions to look good. Lane Kiffin hasn't exactly been calling plays all these years at USC and Alabama for the likes of Rusty Williams, Clint Moseley and BoBo the Dancing Anteater at WR. Saban hasn't been making national title runs with a bunch of 3-star diamonds in the rough.

Oh , I agree with ya TT. My post was more so directed at the DTQB notion. A pocket passer is more than capable in this offense. The use of misdirection and intermediate pass routes and this offense is deadly. Here's to hoping they tailor more of that to SW's strengths next season.

So what does it take for Malzahn to stay after next season? I don't think 8-5 will cut it unless he beats the turds. 9-4? 10-3?

For that matter, why isn't Jay Jacobs on the hot seat?

In the last 2 years, Malzahn's record is 14-11 overall & 6-10 in conference play.

Yep.

This. If you can't craft a game plan around your playmakers, you have what we saw today.

This is it.....when the game was on the line; oh, like 3rd and 2 inside their 40; we aired out a deep ball instead of giving the ball to Jovon or Payton; twice if need be. This play did me in.... at this point, I could care less if Gus comes back or not. I'm pretty done with him.

If we have consistently above average QB play next season we win a lot of games. Schedule sets up nicely for us. Defense is head and shoulders improved. The improvements made this season were evident, and I expect next year to be better.

It's passion and fire, and CWM brings that high level intensity to his guys. I loved how fired up he got today. That carries over to those players. It's been evident all season on the D side. Looking forward to next years D squad.

In the last 2 years, Malzahn's record is 14-11 overall & 6-10 in conference play.

Yep.

This is it.....when the game was on the line; oh, like 3rd and 2 inside their 40; we aired out a deep ball instead of giving the ball to Jovon or Payton; twice if need be. This play did me in.... at this point, I could care less if Gus comes back or not. I'm pretty done with him.

Feel free not to watch next year. He'll be our coach.

Oh , I agree with ya TT. My post was more so directed at the DTQB notion. A pocket passer is more than capable in this offense. The use of misdirection and intermediate pass routes and this offense is deadly. Here's to hoping they tailor more of that to SW's strengths next season.

Count me as one that will be surprised if John Franklin isn't the starter next year.

Count me as one that will be surprised if John Franklin isn't the starter next year.

You usually don't bring in juco player to ride the bench.

Unless it's Gus and Jovon.....

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but who exactly is making the offensive calls now? We look distinctly different than 2013, and the changes on offense philosophically seemed to decline as last season went on, culminating with the cluster that we encountered this year. I know Gus was calling in 2013, and what we run now is not the zone read offense we ran then. Also if Bama's QB can run there is no way we don't have one that can run too.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but who exactly is making the offensive calls now? We look distinctly different than 2013, and the changes on offense philosophically seemed to decline as last season went on, culminating with the cluster that we encountered this year. I know Gus was calling in 2013, and what we run now is not the zone read offense we ran then. Also if Bama's QB can run there is no way we don't have one that can run too.

Apparently no one...there is a random play generator that just selects from a playbook without regard to personnel on the field or ability to execute.

Archived