Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

I think Gus has forgot the old saying. "What have you done for me lately?" In my opinion, if Gus doesn't win10 games and the west, his seat won't hot, it will be on fire.

I disagree. Gus needs at least 2 more full seasons to prove he can hack it in this conference. He's either got what it takes or he doesn't. I think we will know for sure at the end of the 2017 season.

Agree..Gus has done at AU the last 3 years what he should have been doing at Arky State or Southern Miss or somewhere like that.......getting real HC experience running a Div i program.

JMO but we hired him too early in his development and we need to let things play out as Keelser notes.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He did not forget how to coach winning football. He just whiffed on the QB position this season, and it cost the team dearly. Unexpected, perplexing, shocking are just a few of the reactions coach had to have had as it became ultimately evident that he could not win non-cupcake games with JJ. The team fought, the D improved, and he never lost control of his players. I believe that going into the offseason he has learned: QB play is THE key to his TEAM, not just offense, performing well. Though there were many head-scratching play calls in games this year, the real problem was the personnel just not effectively executing what was called. Chronic pass drops, poor QB throws/decisions, and lack of offensive leadership doomed the team this season. I look for us to be night-and-day improved next year, with little-to-no preseason expectations.

What do you guys think Malzahn will learn from ruminating on the season's performance?

Gus is still learning how to be the "man". And IMO it's a HUGE red flag that his hand picked QB flopped. And AU did have some player issues that caused problems with team chemistry.

Gus's play calling has to get better. He isn't calling as much motion as he did in 2009 & 2010. He's become lazy in some aspects. And that could be because of what happened in 2015. Over inflated his "ego" in terms of his coaching. He can right this and bringing in Hand will help.

I think Gus has forgot the old saying. "What have you done for me lately?" In my opinion, if Gus doesn't win10 games and the west, his seat won't hot, it will be on fire.

Thank the lord people are more forgiving of you. 10 non bowl wins and dethrone the NC at their house or fire him? Sounds fair, LOL!

He did not forget how to coach winning football. He just whiffed on the QB position this season, and it cost the team dearly. Unexpected, perplexing, shocking are just a few of the reactions coach had to have had as it became ultimately evident that he could not win non-cupcake games with JJ. The team fought, the D improved, and he never lost control of his players. I believe that going into the offseason he has learned: QB play is THE key to his TEAM, not just offense, performing well. Though there were many head-scratching play calls in games this year, the real problem was the personnel just not effectively executing what was called. Chronic pass drops, poor QB throws/decisions, and lack of offensive leadership doomed the team this season. I look for us to be night-and-day improved next year, with little-to-no preseason expectations.

What do you guys think Malzahn will learn from ruminating on the season's performance?

Gus is still learning how to be the "man". And IMO it's a HUGE red flag that his hand picked QB flopped. And AU did have some player issues that caused problems with team chemistry.

Gus's play calling has to get better. He isn't calling as much motion as he did in 2009 & 2010. He's become lazy in some aspects. And that could be because of what happened in 2015. Over inflated his "ego" in terms of his coaching. He can right this and bringing in Hand will help.

Agree that our playcalling suffered greatly last year. Hopefully, RL can keep the coffee coming on those late night strategy sessions.

I hope he knows why he flopped with JJ and addresses it.

Not addressing the hot seat blather but it's naïve to not admit Gus Malzahn was hired as our HC first and foremost because of his offensive talent (read: ability to put up points). 2013 bore out what many expected - a freaky O CAN make up for a mediocre D even in the SEC. Score video game type points again in 2016 and the wins will come (more importantly, much will be overlooked by AD, BOT & AU fans...like when Gus/Rhett put up 44 against the #1 D in the country and realized ole Ellis was a dreamer).

I disagree. Gus needs at least 2 more full seasons to prove he can hack it in this conference. He's either got what it takes or he doesn't. I think we will know for sure at the end of the 2017 season.

Agree..Gus has done at AU the last 3 years what he should have been doing at Arky State or Southern Miss or somewhere like that.......getting real HC experience running a Div i program.

JMO but we hired him too early in his development and we need to let things play out as Keelser notes.

I agree with this line of thinking as well

I agree with this line of thinking as well

I think this is a very accurate point

Has anyone ever played a stronger schedule than Auburn plays in 2016? Agree that things need to play out and let the program/coaches mature which is tough in our knee-jerk world.

Has anyone ever played a stronger schedule than Auburn plays in 2016? Agree that things need to play out and let the program/coaches mature which is tough in our knee-jerk world.

On the upside, we get to spend a lot of time in friendly territory before hitting the road to face the gauntlet. I'm sure someone, sometime has had it worse, but not much. At least we drew Vandy this year instead of some of the other options.

Some people seem to put a lot of stock in one of the incoming dual threat QBs (JF3 or Woody) becoming the starter for 2016. I'm of the opinion that Sean or JJ both have a decided advantage since they have been in the offense for awhile and that one of them will most likely be the starter against Clemson. I also think that the addition of Herb Hand will add some new dynamics to the offense and our play calling won't be quite so predictable. That said, with our closed practices and the vanilla A-Day game, we'll probably just to have to wait for the season to start to have even a reasonable idea of what the 2016 AU offense will look like.

The offensive staff is recruiting these receivers with the talk that SW will be the man next year.

Some people seem to put a lot of stock in one of the incoming dual threat QBs (JF3 or Woody) becoming the starter for 2016. I'm of the opinion that Sean or JJ both have a decided advantage since they have been in the offense for awhile and that one of them will most likely be the starter against Clemson. I also think that the addition of Herb Hand will add some new dynamics to the offense and our play calling won't be quite so predictable. That said, with our closed practices and the vanilla A-Day game, we'll probably just to have to wait for the season to start to have even a reasonable idea of what the 2016 AU offense will look like.

The offensive staff is recruiting these receivers with the talk that SW will be the man next year.

Have you heard anything about his injuries, like if he is going to require any surgery or when he will be 100%?

Have you heard anything about his injuries, like if he is going to require any surgery or when he will be 100%?

He's either 100% now or will be when Spring Ball starts per reports. I can't remember which. No surgery though.

Smart recruiting move IMO. You can't recruit top WR talent by dangling unproven QBs like JF3 or Woody in front of them.

In the last 2 years, Malzahn's record is 14-11 overall & 6-10 in conference play.

And the first year of that was with DTQB Nick Marshall...interesting.

Safe to say they probably lost one of those 5 games based on offense

Offense was severely inconsistent granted, but that defense was an embarrassment

In the last 2 years, Malzahn's record is 14-11 overall & 6-10 in conference play.

Offense was severely inconsistent granted, but that defense was an embarrassment

No question ......but then again, Gus was the coach of the entire team....seems unfair to give him a pass on the Defensive effort as if he had nothing to do with it.

Gus was not just the OC.....he had responsibility for results on both sides of the ball. Sometimes it seemed as if he still had the OC viewpoint.....and just ran his offense without any concern about how his offensive scheme was impacting the defense.

JMO but there was probably some middle ground where we could have scored fewer points and allowed fewer points to the overall benefit of the TEAM.

Hoping he has recognized that now.

No question ......but then again, Gus was the coach of the entire team....seems unfair to give him a pass on the Defensive effort as if he had nothing to do with it.

Gus was not just the OC.....he had responsibility for results on both sides of the ball. Sometimes it seemed as if he still had the OC viewpoint.....and just ran his offense without any concern about how his offensive scheme was impacting the defense.

JMO but there was probably some middle ground where we could have scored fewer points and allowed fewer points to the overall benefit of the TEAM.

Sorry, don't see the logic in scoring fewer points and it benefiting the team. Please enlighten.

I think it just all depends on how we look. If we see real Auburn football next season most will be ok with another year. Poor execution and disjointed play calling and that would change.

Sorry, don't see the logic in scoring fewer points and it benefiting the team. Please enlighten.

I am also clueless.

If you dig back through (sorta) old threads, however, such thoughts may have led to (sorta) recent coaching changes?

Archived