Coach Malzahn Outlook

tigeraddikt

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but who exactly is making the offensive calls now? We look distinctly different than 2013, and the changes on offense philosophically seemed to decline as last season went on, culminating with the cluster that we encountered this year. I know Gus was calling in 2013, and what we run now is not the zone read offense we ran then. Also if Bama's QB can run there is no way we don't have one that can run too.

Apparently no one...there is a random play generator that just selects from a playbook without regard to personnel on the field or ability to execute.

I'm just glad the play generator called the quadruple tipped pass for a touchdown today to keep us in it.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm concerned. I've been concerned all year. The SEC trend since last year's A&M loss is awful: 2-9 or 2-10? So lots to be concerned about.

That said, no question he deserves another year. The LSU game really soured the season. Otherwise, Auburn was at least competitive. Most importantly, our team showed tremendous improvement as the season progressed. Could have beaten Arkansas. Could have beaten Georgia. Today was a bridge too far, but a win was slightly possible today.

I can't say I'm optimistic, but I'm hopeful.

In the last 2 years, Malzahn's record is 14-11 overall & 6-10 in conference play.

Yep.

I am not sure what was learned. Not sure that he knows. If you can't see that JR, KJ, JS and Roc are your only big play potential players on the team, and that you need to all of the guys invovled in the game plan. Not sure it will get better.

This. If you can't craft a game plan around your playmakers, you have what we saw today.

This is it.....when the game was on the line; oh, like 3rd and 2 inside their 40; we aired out a deep ball instead of giving the ball to Jovon or Payton; twice if need be. This play did me in.... at this point, I could care less if Gus comes back or not. I'm pretty done with him.

Feel free not to watch next year. He'll be our coach.

Agreed, and he should be. There's so much that happened to this team this year, and the fact that the team never lost the fire is huge. No one is happy about the loss, or the season, but firing coaches every couple of years is just assanine.

Those that keep screaming to fire Gus just prove my point.

He needs another great All-conference DTQB to make him look like a genius.

Newsflash: Coaches need great players to look great. Details at 11.

Brandon Cox could've won this game, and I'm pretty confident a healthy Sean White can be a great QB for us going by decision making alone.

True. I'm just poking at this notion that somehow only Gus is reliant on great players at key positions to look good. Lane Kiffin hasn't exactly been calling plays all these years at USC and Alabama for the likes of Rusty Williams, Clint Moseley and BoBo the Dancing Anteater at WR. Saban hasn't been making national title runs with a bunch of 3-star diamonds in the rough.

Oh , I agree with ya TT. My post was more so directed at the DTQB notion. A pocket passer is more than capable in this offense. The use of misdirection and intermediate pass routes and this offense is deadly. Here's to hoping they tailor more of that to SW's strengths next season.

Count me as one that will be surprised if John Franklin isn't the starter next year.

You usually don't bring in juco player to ride the bench.

Unless it's Gus and Jovon.....

Now that's pretty good there. :)

Brandon Cox could've won this game, and I'm pretty confident a healthy Sean White can be a great QB for us going by decision making alone.

True. I'm just poking at this notion that somehow only Gus is reliant on great players at key positions to look good. Lane Kiffin hasn't exactly been calling plays all these years at USC and Alabama for the likes of Rusty Williams, Clint Moseley and BoBo the Dancing Anteater at WR. Saban hasn't been making national title runs with a bunch of 3-star diamonds in the rough.

Oh , I agree with ya TT. My post was more so directed at the DTQB notion. A pocket passer is more than capable in this offense. The use of misdirection and intermediate pass routes and this offense is deadly. Here's to hoping they tailor more of that to SW's strengths next season.

Count me as one that will be surprised if John Franklin isn't the starter next year.

You usually don't bring in juco player to ride the bench.

Unless it's Gus and Jovon.....

Now that's pretty good there. :)/>

I laughed

What about Tyler Queen. No one seems to mention him as a QB in he mix for next year.

Who knows? Gus was still looking for play makers and having position competitions way into the season. We might have to wait till four or five games into the season to find out. If we make it till next year.

"You don't bring a JUCO player in to ride the bench". I hear this over and over. Newsflash: You don't bring anybody in to ride the bench. You hope they all can play, but just as many JUCO guys end up on the pine as anybody else. Just look at our roster for the past two years. Flowers, Moncrief and so forth.

Barring injury, next season Sean White will have a lot of success throwing to former JUCO QB's Jason Smith and John Franklin.

In the last 2 years, Malzahn's record is 14-11 overall & 6-10 in conference play.

Yep.

I am not sure what was learned. Not sure that he knows. If you can't see that JR, KJ, JS and Roc are your only big play potential players on the team, and that you need to all of the guys invovled in the game plan. Not sure it will get better.

This. If you can't craft a game plan around your playmakers, you have what we saw today.

This is it.....when the game was on the line; oh, like 3rd and 2 inside their 40; we aired out a deep ball instead of giving the ball to Jovon or Payton; twice if need be. This play did me in.... at this point, I could care less if Gus comes back or not. I'm pretty done with him.

If the play you are referring to is the one I am thinking of, I think we went for it on 4th and made it. I too, was miffed, why not run it twice if you were going to go for it on 4th, but you thinking is what most defensive coordinators were probably thinking so Gus went for the gamble to throw deep when the defense was expecting run - had it worked, all would say what a great play call. Not a bad play call, but poor execution. We had several of those (in all games) that led to a poor season.

I am in the camp of giving Gus more time to build a program rather than play the coaching carousel every 3 or 4 years.

"You don't bring a JUCO player in to ride the bench". I hear this over and over. Newsflash: You don't bring anybody in to ride the bench. You hope they all can play, but just as many JUCO guys end up on the pine as anybody else. Just look at our roster for the past two years. Flowers, Moncrief and so forth.

Barring injury, next season Sean White will have a lot of success throwing to former JUCO QB's Jason Smith and John Franklin.

Newsflash: JF III isn't going to be a WR next year.

I still am not sold that JF will actually compete for the qb spot. I'm sure he'll get "a chance" but I feel he is being brought in as our speed guy to do all the McCalleb and Grant runs we've been missing.

Kyle Davis didn't commit to auburn to catch passes from Franklin.

He committed to catch passes. He doesn't care who from.

I stand by what I said.

That's what I was thinking.

One of those times where you choose not to listen to what the coaches say I assume?

Is that right?

SW and Franklin will compete for the starting spot next year. Queen is a wild card depending how he responds to the surgery and rehab. Have no doubts though, Franklin is being brought in to compete for our QB spot.

A second-team JUCO QB is going to beat out Sean White? I'll be surprised if Franklin even gets to waste time trying out for QB.

A second-team JUCO QB is going to beat out Sean White? I'll be surprised if Franklin even gets to waste time trying out for QB.

Get ready to be surprised.

Yep.

Feel free not to watch next year. He'll be our coach.

I don't want Gus gone but that play on 3rd and 2 that close to the redzone did highly piss me off. We had a good drive working with running the ball and you air it out on 3rd and 2. Keep running the dang ball. Even if it was a catch i didn't like that call. And we NEVER throw on 1st down! Gus has some self evaluation to do for sure. I don't know what the deal is with him and Rhett but something is going to have to change in how they go about that partnership...even if Rhett stays.

Get ready to be surprised.

Hope it's a very pleasant surprise.

Archived