The Ref Bowl

AUFlyer99

I've referred to last year as the Iron Blow. I've only seen one clip from this years game since I'm stuck south of the border, but what I saw sealed a turd win in my opinion and at the same time compromised the integrity of the SEC on a national stage. Looks to me like our boys played in the ref bowl yesterday.

ESPN down here only shows boxing and soccer. Was that series of events on any of the highlight shows back home?

I agree. I have been attending Auburn-Alabama games for the past 45 years and I have seen my share of bad calls and no calls that always seem to favor Alabama. I was in the stands in Birmingham looking down on the pass to Thom Gossom that went for a touchdown and put Auburn ahead in that game with less than 4 minutes remaining. The ball was placed down at the 3 yard line awaiting the extra point while the refs huddled to figure out how they could reverse Auburn's touchdown. One of the refs working the chains motioned to a ref in the middle of the field to come to the sideline where he told him that Gossom had stepped out of bounds. In fact Gossom was pushed out of bounds by Alabama's cornerback, Washington, while the ball was in the air. But never mind that pass interference should have been called. The refs determined that the penalty should be illegal receiver downfield against Auburn which resulted in a 10 yard penalty and loss of down. Never mind that the guys working the chains have no official capacity as refs and the pass interference was not called. I have seen too many times when the refs inserted themselves into this game to ensure that Alabama won.

It is no different in the game yesterday. Saban was out on the field many times yelling at his players and the refs and no flags against him. The personal foul call was ridiculous as our player was falling out of bounds and was not tackling the Alabama player. Then there is the no call on holding against Lawson on the play that is the reason Gus and Muschamp were on the field talking to the ref with another ref came up and threw the flag. Thirty yards in penalties put Alabama in field goal range and turned the game from a one score game into a two score game with only minutes remaining. They ensured an Alabama victory. I have never heard Stan White and Rod Bramblet so angry or animated over a no call and a series of bad calls. My guess is they will be fined by the SEC office. At 63 years old I have come to hate Alabama and most of their fans. They are all Updykes, it is just a matter of degree.

I agree. I have been attending Auburn-Alabama games for the past 45 years and I have seen my share of bad calls and no calls that always seem to favor Alabama. I was in the stands in Birmingham looking down on the pass to Thom Gossom that went for a touchdown and put Auburn ahead in that game with less than 4 minutes remaining. The ball was placed down at the 3 yard line awaiting the extra point while the refs huddled to figure out how they could reverse Auburn's touchdown. One of the refs working the chains motioned to a ref in the middle of the field to come to the sideline where he told him that Gossom had stepped out of bounds. In fact Gossom was pushed out of bounds by Alabama's cornerback, Washington, while the ball was in the air. But never mind that pass interference should have been called. The refs determined that the penalty should be illegal receiver downfield against Auburn which resulted in a 10 yard penalty and loss of down. Never mind that the guys working the chains have no official capacity as refs and the pass interference was not called. I have seen too many times when the refs inserted themselves into this game to ensure that Alabama won.

It is no different in the game yesterday. Saban was out on the field many times yelling at his players and the refs and no flags against him. The personal foul call was ridiculous as our player was falling out of bounds and was not tackling the Alabama player. Then there is the no call on holding against Lawson on the play that is the reason Gus and Muschamp were on the field talking to the ref with another ref came up and threw the flag. Thirty yards in penalties put Alabama in field goal range and turned the game from a one score game into a two score game with only minutes remaining. They ensured an Alabama victory. I have never heard Stan White and Rod Bramblet so angry or animated over a no call and a series of bad calls. My guess is they will be fined by the SEC office. At 63 years old I have come to hate Alabama and most of their fans. They are all Updykes, it is just a matter of degree.

interesting. I thought it was insane that Gus didn't exercise the foresight of going for two knowing that an extra point does nothing for you and two points keeps it a one possession game in the event alabama scored another fg.. which they did. So, the non review on the bama lateral, a non holding call against bama and the personal foul out of bounds in which the ref slipped and fell on his ass receiving instant karma. idk it wasn't that bad to me but there were some issues i'll concede and i definitely didn't like the out of bounds late hit penalty.

I though the late hit was a call that could have been called. The backwards pass that wasn't reviewed and several down field blocking by receivers while the pass was being thrown were not called. The biggest play of the game was the third down had Coker for a sack and he gets away a scrambles for a nine yard gain. On 4th they go for it and get it. Then the third down pass for td. If number 94 would have had his head up and eyes open he would have sacked Coker, but instead wiffs on the tackle allowing Coker to scramble.

Am I crazy? I thought the officiating was fine. Were there a lot of holds that were not called like in the national championship game vs fsu or what?

No hold calls against a team who has held all year and maybe had two that I know of called. Not that the game hinged on the non calls but there was plenty of momentum at stake should the refs taken their crimson glasses off

Am I crazy? I thought the officiating was fine. Were there a lot of holds that were not called like in the national championship game vs fsu or what?

No hold calls against a team who has held all year and maybe had two that I know of called. Not that the game hinged on the non calls but there was plenty of momentum at stake should the refs taken their crimson glasses off

:nopityA: Enough.....

I have been attending AU/uat games for years and the 30 yards in penalties was to be certain uat went to the SEC championship game. The game was still in question at the time and the refs made sure there would be no comeback. I was also at the game the year Bowden quit and AU clearly had the first down on what would have been the winning drive when the ref looked over at the first down marker and moved the ball back. There have been numerous plays just like this over the years. I know that officiating did not lose the game yesterday but I also know that with Steve Shaw head of officials uat will always get the benefit of the doubt on any calls. Muschamp didn't do anything different yesterday than Saban does every game and I have never seen him penalized. I just would like for it to be called the same for both teams.

Were there some bad/missed calls? Sure there were, on both sides of the ball.

Do the refs have some agenda or predetermined disposition to call the game unfairly? No. And to insinuate that is just absurd.

Were there some bad/missed calls? Sure there were, on both sides of the ball.

Do the refs have some agenda or predetermined disposition to call the game unfairly? No. And to insinuate that is just absurd.

I don't think it is absurd. Lot of money for the conference was riding on that game last night. If Auburn wins then the SEC is out of the playoffs.

As pointed out Saban does the same thing every single game and is untouchable.

I'm a Texas fan and I will tell you the call that against Kansas a few years ago was as Mangino put it a BCS call. So I will point those out for teams I like also.

Archived