that 3rd and 2

DyeCampAlum

I was quite impressed with the overall playcalling yesterday. Given that the coaches clearly don't trust Johnson to pass effectively, they managed to keep Bama honest. Let's face it: Bama has just smothered some people. It wasn't pretty on offense, but they kept us in the game. So I'm just grousing about the one play, not making too much of it.

That said, my annoyance isn't that we threw deep on 3rd and 2. I just believe that if you're willing to go deep with that down and distance on the other team's side of the field, you better have your fourth and 2 play ready. No kicks. I've seen us get cute on 3rd and short too many times this year, followed by kicks.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gus has perpetually gotten cute with his play calling, with out reason or much success.

Drives me nuts.

Well there were 4 plays that if we would have executed them it would have changed the dynamic of the game. The play you are talking about. Louis was open for the TD. We underthrow and miss FG. Countess dropped INT which should have been pick six. Our inability to get the sack in 3 and 15. They go on to score TD. And missing a wide open Louis down the sideline. He probably doesn't score but big gainer.

Again not saying we would have won but would have been a big diff. It is the plays you have to make to beat s good team.

I would assume gus' thought process is that a first down play for two yards is what everyone expects. We haven't been good in the red zone so let's steal a big one here. Hell it works if the throw is there. I liked it. We were 14 point underdogs playing a smash mouth team. You need some big plays to beat them.

I would assume gus' thought process is that a first down play for two yards is what everyone expects. We haven't been good in the red zone so let's steal a big one here. Hell it works if the throw is there. I liked it. We were 14 point underdogs playing a smash mouth team. You need some big plays to beat them.

Exactly. This is what confuses me about some of these "experts" on this board. The play was set up nice. Everyone in the country would've expected us to run and try for the first. Bammer stacked the box for the run. RL had the DB beat by 2-3yds. The play was there, JJ missed the throw. Chances had to be taken to win that game and that was a perfect chance to take. Like it or not this game is on JJ and the WRs. Zero execution. IMO the OL did a pretty damn good job against one of the better front 7's bammer has had in a while.

JMO but it's hard (and maybe unfair) to quibble over any one call. Folks want to see trick plays or gambles...and complain when they do not work. I think AU had to try some unexpected things to win the game.

And again, just an opinion but I expect the coaches were really frustrated trying to put together a game plan against a stout bama defensive line when they could not have had much confidence in the QB....just hoping he would make some plays but knowing that most of their playbook was "off limits".

They are bound to be realists...have seen enough of our offense by now to know what plays have a chance of success and which don't but they can't just run the same stuff over and over. What seems like questionable play calling is probably their attempt to deal with the limits or our quarterbacking situation. Just sayin' that with a healthy SW available, we would have seen a very different game plan....JMO.

Well there were 4 plays that if we would have executed them it would have changed the dynamic of the game. The play you are talking about. Louis was open for the TD. We underthrow and miss FG. Countess dropped INT which should have been pick six. Our inability to get the sack in 3 and 15. They go on to score TD. And missing a wide open Louis down the sideline. He probably doesn't score but big gainer.

Again not saying we would have won but would have been a big diff. It is the plays you have to make to beat s good team.

A competent pass / catching game this year, and AU easily wins 2, maybe 3 more games. Nothing spectacular, just hitting more wide open passes than not. We didn't do that. Sean was better, at the intermediate stuff, but of course, he wasn't on the field the whole season.

What if...

A competent pass / catching game this year, and AU easily wins 2, maybe 3 more games. Nothing spectacular, just hitting more wide open passes than not. We didn't do that. Sean was better, at the intermediate stuff, but of course, he wasn't on the field the whole season.

What if...

Maybe more than 2-3. Arkansas and UGA for sure. Quite possibly both Mississippi schools as well. There's the 9-10 win season we want.

What you said.... The difference in the game was our inability to hit the timely pass play at critical times. In the first half, when we were having some success running the ball, we had them set up for some big play-action passes that would have really put them on their heels. ahhh well, it is what it is I guess, but to me that is what killed our chances.

You think we look like a 10 game team? Smh.

Shake it 'til it rattles if you like....but with any kind of decent quarterbacking AU was a ten win team....

The only thing I was disappointed in during that series of plays was Gus seemed to be satisfied with the field goal if we didn't hit the pass to Ricardo. In those type situations, Gus has leaned toward the safe call and not being aggressive when the game is on the line. If we go for it on 4th and 2 and make it (a big IF) we run more plays, possibly get a TD and keep Henry and our defense on the sidelines a little bit longer. It would also pump up the offense knowing that Gus has faith in our guys that they can get 2 yards when needed.

A little more aggressive coaching, like we had in the 2010 Iron Bowl and during all of 2013 would be nice to see. I guess Gus just doesn't have the confidence in his players to execute this year, unfortunately it shows in his play calling. It will be interesting to see the changes to the staff during the off season, if any.

Shake it 'til it rattles if you like....but with any kind of decent quarterbacking AU was a ten win team....

The fact that you say it further strengthens how ridiculous this statement really is

Well, competent receiver and qb play combined would have gotten us 2 more wins, at the very least. Arky and uga, no question. Dunno about which other two games.

Add the zone read bubble option

I think we were gouging them with the off tackle all night, but that play was all on JJ. It was a terrible throw. If thrown correctly it was six. But we should have run the ball.

With 6 wins and absolutely nothing to lose, I thought we should have went for it on a couple more 4th and shorts. Bama was going to field goal us to death anyways, they only scored on a crazy pass and a time expiring 4th and 1.

We simply were not going to win with the QB play this season. JJ has much potential but it will not be realized. I think the coaches did about as good as can be expected. They were just trying to keep it close and hope by some miracle we would find a way to score on a tipped pass, fumble, interception, etc. Next year will be the same unless we find a QB.

and if we knock the hell out of Mullany 9 yards deep in the end zone on the confused kickoff return there is two points and good field position. Then the lateral bammer got away with as a incomplete pass that saved them 5 yards and extended the drive.

and if we knock the hell out of Mullany 9 yards deep in the end zone on the confused kickoff return there is two points and good field position.

That's not true. While the ball was touched by uat in the field of play and then went into the endzone, it's still a kicked ball. Had we knocked him out of bounds in the back of the endzone OR tackled him in the endzone it would have been a TOUCHBACK and come out to the 25. It would NOT have been a safety there. The reason the white hat was giving the deflection signal was to indicate it was touched and still a live ball. Had we recovered it in the endzone it would have been a touchdown for us. Had it gone out of the back of the endzone, it would have been a TOUCHBACK. The reason it wasn't blown dead was because it was touched in the field of play. Had uat not touched it in the field of play it would have been blown dead when it reached the endzone and be an automatic touchback. Here's the rule on it:

c. Any free kick or scrimmage kick continues to be a kick until it is caught or

recovered by a player or becomes dead.

Ball Dead in End Zone

ARTICLE 7. a. When a free kick untouched by Team B touches the ground on

or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to Team B.

Initial Impetus

ARTICLE 2. a. The impetus imparted by a player who kicks, passes, snaps

or fumbles the ball shall be considered responsible for the ball’s progress in

any direction even though its course is deflected or reversed after striking the

ground or after touching an official or a player of either team.

(No possession = still a kick)

SECTION 6. Touchback

When Declared

ARTICLE 1. It is a touchback when:

a. The ball becomes dead out of bounds behind a goal line, except from an

incomplete forward pass, or becomes dead in the possession of a player on,

above or behind his own goal line and the attacking team is responsible for

the ball being there (Rules 7-2-4-c) (A.R. 7-2-4-I, A.R. 8-6-1-I-III).

b. A kick becomes dead by rule behind the defending team’s goal line and the

attacking team is responsible for the ball being there

Then the lateral backward pass bammer got away with as a incomplete pass that saved them 5 yards and extended the drive.

It was obviously a backwards pass and I'm still wondering why that play wasn't reviewed. The replay official had plenty of time to see it and buzz down to stop the next play and didn't.

and if we knock the hell out of Mullany 9 yards deep in the end zone on the confused kickoff return there is two points and good field position.
Then the lateral backward pass bammer got away with as a incomplete pass that saved them 5 yards and extended the drive.

It was obviously a backwards pass and I'm still wondering why that play wasn't reviewed. The replay official had plenty of time to see it and buzz down to stop the next play and didn't.

That definitely turned out to be a big non review.

Ray dropped the ball on the same play 3 times. Twice in the same series. And all 3 would have been for a first down. Now I will say the 1st was a little behind him but he did get his hands on it. And I was always told by my receivers coach no matter how bad the QB throws the ball if you get your hands on it and drop it the its you fault.

I was quite impressed with the overall playcalling yesterday. Given that the coaches clearly don't trust Johnson to pass effectively, they managed to keep Bama honest. Let's face it: Bama has just smothered some people. It wasn't pretty on offense, but they kept us in the game. So I'm just grousing about the one play, not making too much of it.

That said, my annoyance isn't that we threw deep on 3rd and 2. I just believe that if you're willing to go deep with that down and distance on the other team's side of the field, you better have your fourth and 2 play ready. No kicks. I've seen us get cute on 3rd and short too many times this year, followed by kicks.

Dumb call. Gave them the ball back with 2 minutes. Should have kept driving on the ground and if we couldn't get in the end zone have a shorter FG with little time on the clock.

No, Auburn did not 'look' like a 10 game winning team. But In all Auburn's losses. but for the lsu game, a couple of individual plays could very well have resulted in victories rather than losses.

What I can't seem to understand is that people can't see that if ever there was a year to win 10 games, this was the year to do it. The sec was way down and with slightly above average qb play and receiving play, we win those games. You will be hard pressed to find a worse GA team, Arkansas, miss. St. and ole miss were very beatable this year.

Next year, we will start the year off playing the number one team in the country. Bama will be a top five and lsu will be top ten. MSU, OM and ARK will be about the same as this years teams. aTm will be the wild card team. If JJ is the starting qb, I see a 7-5 or 8-4 team next year.

Archived