John Franklin III

RunInRed

"The quarterback position, it had its ups and downs," Franklin said Sunday after his official visit to Auburn for the Iron Bowl. "They had good success and there were times where they haven't done so well. It's a team game, but the quarterback runs will show. I feel like those guys are good, but I feel like coming in the opportunity for me to be the guy right away is very big and I look forward to taking on that role."

"As far as athletic wise, they're comparing me to a lot of the things Nick (Marshall) did," Franklin said. "That's what they want to do with me. They say I throw the ball a little better than Nick did and have a little bit of an advantage over him. The way they want to run the offense is similar to the way did when they had Nick here."

"Coach Lashlee, we got a chance to sit down and talk a lot of ball," Franklin said. "They said, 'That's what we've been missing -- explosiveness.' I feel like I can bring that to the team. I'm looking forward to getting here and getting started. and hopefully turning our season around next year to what Auburn's supposed to be like. I'm hoping to win the starting job before we go into fall camp, that's my goal."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/11/quarterback_john_franklin_iii.html

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for him starting if he process to be the better quarterback. And I agree, a competitive nature is always good and can make the team better. I'm just tired of everyone anointing him as the savior of Auburn football by virtue of him being a runner.

The selfish fan in me wish he would participate in bowl practice, but the logical reasoning in me says go enjoy time with the family.

Is JF III the same QB that isn't even starting for his JUCO team? This is an honest question.

EMCC had a starter in 2014 who played very well and returned for 2015. JFIII was a backup QB at FSU in 2014 and this was his first and only year at EMCC. Yes he was the backup. No, it's not because he wasn't talented enough to be a starter. He just chose to go somewhere nearby since he only planned to be there a year before getting back to FBS level.

At 6'1" and 183lbs I worry about his durability throughout a season in the SEC.

No reason he can't put on some weight once he gets here in the winter and spring

The selfish fan in me wish he would participate in bowl practice, but the logical reasoning in me says go enjoy time with the family.

Well, he'd lose a year in eligibility if he did that. Will he even be enrolled before the bowl game anyway?

I'm all for him starting if he process to be the better quarterback. And I agree, a competitive nature is always good and can make the team

better. I'm just tired of everyone anointing him as the savior of Auburn football by virtue of him being a runner.

What I have seen on this board is whether he was being recruited as a QB or an athlete. I believe there is no doubt he is coming as a QB. I believe this offense runs better with a running DT QB. We currently do not have one of those. Will he be the QB next year? I don't know, he will have to earn it in practice.

Well, he'd lose a year in eligibility if he did that. Will he even be enrolled before the bowl game anyway?

He is enrolling in January and according to the article AU offered him the chance to practice with the team but he declined.

I'm all for him starting if he process to be the better quarterback. And I agree, a competitive nature is always good and can make the team better. I'm just tired of everyone anointing him as the savior of Auburn football by virtue of him being a runner.

I don't think anyone is annointing him as the savior as such. What we, or at least I, have said, is that he is the type of quarterback that really makes the offense special and almost unstoppable. Whether he is good enough to be the quarterback next year remains to be seen. That will all be worked out in spring drills and likely into the start of fall camp as well.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the running quarterback / zone read offense. We were lucky that Cam and NM never got seriously injured but with this kind of offense, the team is one injury away from being back to square one.

So glad to find this forum and WDE!

He is enrolling in January and according to the article AU offered him the chance to practice with the team but he declined.

That's strange. I was certain if he participated in bowl practice it would count toward this year's eligibility. Must be if only played in the actual game.

Would've been nice, but practices are fairly limited for bowls if I'm not mistaken, so he might not have gained all that much from it anyway. Probably a good decision on his part.

^A lot of others have absolutely said that he's our starting QB for 2016 because he can run. Never mind the countless other skills required to be a good quarterback. Some folks are a little desperate and leaping to faulty conclusions as a result.

Is JF III the same QB that isn't even starting for his JUCO team? This is an honest question.

EMCC had a starter in 2014 who played very well and returned for 2015. JFIII was a backup QB at FSU in 2014 and this was his first and only year at EMCC. Yes he was the backup. No, it's not because he wasn't talented enough to be a starter. He just chose to go somewhere nearby since he only planned to be there a year before getting back to FBS level.

So his mindset wasn't "I'll compete and do everything I can to win the starting job, put up great numbers and get big time programs come knocking on my door to be their DT QB?"

I'm not saying you're wrong, it just surprises me he wouldn't try to compete and show FSU what they missed out on and what other big time programs to reap the rewards of.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the running quarterback / zone read offense. We were lucky that Cam and NM never got seriously injured but with this kind of offense, the team is one injury away from being back to square one.

So glad to find this forum and WDE!

It's not the fact that he is a running qb but rather his size. If you have a guy behind him that can step in and go, then you're fine. We've lacked that regardless.

^A lot of others have absolutely said that he's our starting QB for 2016 because he can run. Never mind the countless other skills required to be a good quarterback. Some folks are a little desperate and leaping to faulty conclusions as a result.

After the hype we got this year, you'd hope we'd learn to temper our expectations.

So his mindset wasn't "I'll compete and do everything I can to win the starting job, put up great numbers and get big time programs come knocking on my door to be their DT QB?"

I'm not saying you're we in it just surprises me he wouldn't try to compete and show FSU what they missed out on and what other big time programs to reap the rewards of.

Who said he didn't compete? They knew he'd only be there a year so they let the other guy keep playing.

After the hype we got this year, you'd hope we'd learn to temper our expectations.

And when it happens again we'll blame the coaches and the media.

Archived