Dream Off-season

AubTiger14

Here is what I want to happen this off-season

1. Muschamp stays (I don't think he'd go to UGA or anywhere to be a DC like some people are worried. But if South Carolina or somewhere came calling for a HC I'd be a little worried)

2. Garner is moved to TE's coach and Rocker is brought back to coach D-Line (this could happen)

3. Jeremy Johnson and Sean White transfer (I don't want them off the team, especially Sean, but it's what is best for them personally. JFIII is being brought in to be the guy next year if he performs well in practice. I think Sean could be really successful as a QB somewhere else, but Gus is going back to read-option and that's not Sean. I'd feel a little bad for Sean if he stayed and rode the bench).

4. We sign a class with a solid combination of these players: Rashan Gary, Derrick Brown, Landon Dickerson, E.J. Price, Antwuan Jackson, Jamarcus King, Zach McCloud, Kareem Walker, and hold on to the ones we have committed already.

5. Gus fixes the play-calling dynamic (I've heard lots of speculation about offensive staff changes. At the end of the day I don't really care because it's Gus' offense, but the problems this year need to be fixed. I wouldn't mind seeing someone else coaching QBs. I highly doubt the offensive staff is the same next year though.)

6. Everyone comes back that could declare for the draft. (Likely won't happen, but if we could get Lawson back and either Coleman or Young on the OL that would be huge. I think M. Adams is gone, but you never know.)

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some shakeup on the staff at Alabama (aka...Smart leaving to be a HC and Kiffin leaving as well). However, it all depends on how this affects us. Some people think that Smart is South Carolina's first choice, so if Smart goes to UGA then SC could go after Muschamp.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 3 were to happen, we'd have a wild-card Franklin with backups injured Tyler Queen and freshman Woody Barrett. I would throw up, especially if Franklin isn't the "sure thing" he's quickly seeming to become among many. If 3 happens and Franklin isn't Newton-incarnate, Gus should be gone by October, and I'm not one to call for coaches' heads

If 3 were to happen, we'd have a wild-card Franklin with backups injured Tyler Queen and freshman Woody Barrett. I would throw up, especially if Franklin isn't the "sure thing" he's quickly seeming to become among many. If 3 happens and Franklin isn't Newton-incarnate, Gus should be gone by October, and I'm not one to call for coaches' heads

Yes. Agreed

While we're discussing dreams, Steve Spurrier would come riding a white horse with a playbook in his hands, have a jousting match with Lashlee, win, and win the right to be the Offensive Coordinator/QB coach for 2016. I like that dream.

We'd be screwed if 3 happens. Absolutley screwed. It amazes me that people want Rocker so badly. His kids go to UGA, he wasn't all that enthused when he was AU to begin win, he doesn't like recruiting, and he hasn't done much of anything with the surplus amount of talent that he has at UGA... So why?

I want Sean White on the team. It's better for the team to have him. He's a good QB. I'm just saying for him personally it might be better to transfer, because I think there's an 80% he will not be the starter moving forward. Gus is going back to the zone-read. This year was his big experiment (not running the QB and being more balanced), and it failed for various reasons. Gus is not going to risk his job further next year and we are going back to the zone read. That's my opinion. So...my point is I think it's best for all involved for Sean to transfer after the spring once JFIII is named the starter (which I expect to happen).

I want Sean White on the team. It's better for the team to have him. He's a good QB. I'm just saying for him personally it might be better to transfer, because I think there's an 80% he will not be the starter moving forward. Gus is going back to the zone-read. This year was his big experiment (not running the QB and being more balanced), and it failed for various reasons. Gus is not going to risk his job further next year and we are going back to the zone read. That's my opinion. So...my point is I think it's best for all involved for Sean to transfer after the spring once JFIII is named the starter (which I expect to happen).

I get your point, and my post wasn't a knock at you or anything. If neither he nor Jeremy remained at Auburn next year though, even if they end up as backup to someone else, AU would have a starting QB and backup QB with 0 SEC experience. 0. I would drink. Heavily.

We'd be screwed if 3 happens. Absolutley screwed. It amazes me that people want Rocker so badly. His kids go to UGA, he wasn't all that enthused when he was AU to begin win, he doesn't like recruiting, and he hasn't done much of anything with the surplus amount of talent that he has at UGA... So why?

Rocker doesn't like recruiting, but he does a pretty good job. We also had the best D-line we've had in years when he was here. Garner is a decent recruiter, but hasn't managed to bring in depth and our D-line has not been a strength since he's been here.

Rocker doesn't like recruiting, but he does a pretty good job. We also had the best D-line we've had in years when he was here. Garner is a decent recruiter, but hasn't managed to bring in depth and our D-line has not been a strength since he's been here.

He had Fairley.

I get your point, and my post wasn't a knock at you or anything. If neither he nor Jeremy remained at Auburn next year though, even if they end up as backup to someone else, AU would have a starting QB and backup QB with 0 SEC experience. 0. I would drink. Heavily.

I agree...would be a risk. Coaches will probably try to keep Sean on the team for at least one more year, and give him a fair shot at winning the job. However, I don't expect him to finish is career at Auburn unfortunately, even though I think he's got the potential to be a pro with his intelligence and accuracy.

Also, keep in mind...in 2013 our top 2 QBs had zero starting experience as college QBs (Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson). Only returning QB with experience was Johnathan Wallace.

He had Fairley.

He is a good coach, but no one was screaming that we have to have him until RG was hired. Our defense wasn't very good in 09 or 10, except for Nick and he wasn't very good the first year Rocker was here.

1. Muschamp isn't going anywhere. He has this thing headed back in the right direction.

2. I would go for the Missouri DL coach, Rocker, or Brad Lawing over Garner.

3. This is absolutely crazy. You never know when the light can come on for a kid (Johnson) like it did from 2003 to 2004 with Jason Campbell. Sean White is also a freshman that has shown great promise running this offense. Nobody knows what Franklin or Barrett are going to bring to the table.

4. Recruiting is starting to improve. We need to get our EE's locked down (including Antwuan Jackson) and then position ourselves for a big finish. I expect this class to finish at least in the top 8 if we keep Muschamp.

5. I have confidence that Gus will figure this out. I would like to see us get a QB coach that can actually develop a QB instead of just getting one from JUCO that's already been coached.

6. We definitely need one of the OT's to stay (preferably Coleman). I think Lawson & Adams would greatly improve their draft stock if they came back with a better DL coach. We really need Jovon Robinson to stay and become the focal point of our offense next year.

While I would love to see UAT without Kirby Smart next year, I do not want to see him or Tom Herman at UGA. Smart & Saban would be very tough to recruit against.

He had Fairley.

Fairley was not a beast until Rocker came in. Garner has had Montravious Adams for 3 years and he's just been alright for a 5-star recruit. I'm not saying Rocker is unequivocally better than Garner, but I think having both on the staff is the best case scenario.

That is super duper presumptive, it's insulting to Sean, and it's a bit ignorant of what our problems were this season. Also, this wasn't an experiment. That's nuts. Gus has had wild success elsewhere with pro style QBs.

And for the inevitable "Tulsa ain't the SEC *hock* *spit* " response (from somebody, not necessarily you): Tulsa scored about 13 points more per game in Gus's first season there. It went up another couple points his second season. It dropped back to where it was as soon as he left. He scored over 40 ppg in both seasons there with 2 different "immobile" quarterbacks. Nobody else has done that at Tulsa, so you can't disregard it.

And I agree that the general Rocker infatuation is odd. Mostly agreed with the rest of the OP.

My list in addition to that would be:

-White and Queen get healthy

-Somebody, anybody win the QB job in spring

-No bad news from APD all summer

-Every player signed qualifies and shows up for classes in the fall for the 3rd straight year

-JB Grimes gets/stays healthy and comes back

-We find a better punter

-Stanton Truitt gets healthy

1. Muschamp isn't going anywhere. He has this thing headed back in the right direction.

2. I would go for the Missouri DL coach, Rocker, or Brad Lawing over Garner.

3. This is absolutely crazy. You never know when the light can come on for a kid (Johnson) like it did from 2003 to 2004 with Jason Campbell. Sean White is also a freshman that has shown great promise running this offense. Nobody knows what Franklin or Barrett are going to bring to the table.

4. Recruiting is starting to improve. We need to get our EE's locked down (including Antwuan Jackson) and then position ourselves for a big finish. I expect this class to finish at least in the top 8 if we keep Muschamp.

5. I have confidence that Gus will figure this out. I would like to see us get a QB coach that can actually develop a QB instead of just getting one from JUCO that's already been coached.

6. We definitely need one of the OT's to stay (preferably Coleman). I think Lawson & Adams would greatly improve their draft stock if they came back with a better DL coach. We really need Jovon Robinson to stay and become the focal point of our offense next year.

While I would love to see UAT without Kirby Smart next year, I do not want to see him or Tom Herman at UGA. Smart & Saban would be very tough to recruit against.

I think the light is already on for Sean White. I think he's awesome. But I think we are going back to the zone-read offense and Sean White is going to be the odd man out. I'm just saying that if I were him and possessed NFL level potential, I would transfer given the direction the Auburn offense is headed.

That is super duper presumptive, it's insulting to Sean, and it's a bit ignorant of what our problems were this season. Also, this wasn't an experiment. That's nuts. Gus has had wild success elsewhere with pro style QBs.

And for the inevitable "Tulsa ain't the SEC *hock* *spit* " response (from somebody, not necessarily you): Tulsa scored about 13 points more per game in Gus's first season there. It went up another couple points his second season. It dropped back to where it was as soon as he left. He scored over 40 ppg in both seasons there with 2 different "immobile" quarterbacks. Nobody else has done that at Tulsa, so you can't disregard it.

And I agree that the general Rocker infatuation is odd. Mostly agreed with the rest of the OP.

-Every player signed qualifies and shows up for classes in the fall for the 3rd straight year

-We find a better punter

I'm good with that list.

-We find a better punter

I've been nothing but complimentary to Sean in this thread. If it's so presumptive and ignorant....why did we go out and sign a JUCO dual-threat QB? What exactly were our problems this season on offense? Lack of identity? Lack of rhythm? Play-calling? If these weren't some of the problems please enlighten me on what the problems were.

Maybe Sean plays so well in the spring that the coaches can't keep him off the field. Sean possess tons of talent. It's just my opinion that we are going to back to the style of offense we ran in 2013 and JFIII will be the starting QB next year.

Seems the same people who thought JJ was a Heisman candidate and early NFL draft have now hitched their wagon to a 180 pound part-time Juco QB as our next savior. Is there something in the water there ...or what?

Seems the same people who thought JJ was a Heisman candidate and early NFL draft have now hitched their wagon to a 180 pound part-time Juco QB as our next savior. Is there something in the water there ...or what?

I'm not going to outright say that, because then I get the obligatory "Who here is saying that, we just want to give Player X a chance coming in?..." The thrill of the unknown oft times produces more optimism than the reality of what has already been observed. Most people believe we currently don't have a championship-caliber QB (we don't) so the focus shifts to pumping up the next flavor of the month. I can pass no blame, because I have done it with multiple AU QB candidates in the past, most notably Kodi Burns and Kiehl Frazier. But, now I at least openly know I'm doing it and can realize my own hypocrisies lol.

I've been nothing but complimentary to Sean in this thread.

You can call him a supermodel and future POTUS, and it wouldn't matter one lick if you maintain that he should transfer. That's insulting. There's no way around that.

If it's so presumptive and ignorant....why did we go out and sign a JUCO dual-threat QB?

Because he might be a better QB than the ones we have, and if he's not, then he has the athleticism to be useful elsewhere. We also have Woody Barrett and Lowell Narcisse committed. We're also recruiting Jake Bentley. We're not recruiting Jerod Evans. Joey Gatewood is considered by many to be the #1 QB in 2018 regardless of classification, so we're recruiting him, too.

After our history at quarterback the last 7-8 years, how can anybody make an assumption about quarterbacks? Chris Todd was our starting quarterback in 2009. Kodi Burns was not. Kiehl Frazier left Auburn as a safety. Tyrik Rollison never played a down in orange and blue.

Seriously. What specifically has the JUCO kid shown you that makes you think he will be able to take over this offense from a guy who has an SEC road win under his belt and 3 consecutive 250+ yd games? What are his specific qualities that make him an SEC quarterback? Is he a leader? Is he a hard worker? Can he learn the playbook?

What exactly were our problems this season on offense? Lack of identity? Lack of rhythm? Play-calling? If these weren't some of the problems please enlighten me on what the problems were.

These were all symptoms. The problem was a lack of experienced, competent personnel. First year center, until he got hurt and we had to use a backup, and then another backup. First year starters at QB. Injuries at almost every position, all over the OL and RB groups in particular. Oh, no RBs who had started a season in D1. Duke Williams. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE (and no meaningful talent at the latter position).

Maybe Sean plays so well in the spring that the coaches can't keep him off the field. Sean possess tons of talent. It's just my opinion that we are going to back to the style of offense we ran in 2013 and JFIII will be the starting QB next year.

That's a lot more palatable than having our most talented and experienced returning QB transfer as part of your "Dream Off-season".

I've been nothing but complimentary to Sean in this thread.

You can call him a supermodel and future POTUS, and it wouldn't matter one lick if you maintain that he should transfer. That's insulting. There's no way around that.

If it's so presumptive and ignorant....why did we go out and sign a JUCO dual-threat QB?

Because he might be a better QB than the ones we have, and if he's not, then he has the athleticism to be useful elsewhere. We also have Woody Barrett and Lowell Narcisse committed. We're also recruiting Jake Bentley. We're not recruiting Jerod Evans. Joey Gatewood is considered by many to be the #1 QB in 2018 regardless of classification, so we're recruiting him, too.

After our history at quarterback the last 7-8 years, how can anybody make an assumption about quarterbacks? Chris Todd was our starting quarterback in 2009. Kodi Burns was not. Kiehl Frazier left Auburn as a safety. Tyrik Rollison never played a down in orange and blue.

Seriously. What specifically has the JUCO kid shown you that makes you think he will be able to take over this offense from a guy who has an SEC road win under his belt and 3 consecutive 250+ yd games? What are his specific qualities that make him an SEC quarterback? Is he a leader? Is he a hard worker? Can he learn the playbook?

What exactly were our problems this season on offense? Lack of identity? Lack of rhythm? Play-calling? If these weren't some of the problems please enlighten me on what the problems were.

These were all symptoms. The problem was a lack of experienced, competent personnel. First year center, until he got hurt and we had to use a backup, and then another backup. First year starters at QB. Injuries at almost every position, all over the OL and RB groups in particular. Oh, no RBs who had started a season in D1. Duke Williams. Nothing but freshmen at HB and TE (and no meaningful talent at the latter position).

That's a lot more palatable than having our most talented and experienced returning QB transfer as part of your "Dream Off-season".

I clearly stated in the OP I do not want Sean off the team. I have repeatedly stated that I think Gus is going back to read-option next year, and so I feel it's in Sean's best interest personally to transfer. That's the amount of respect I have for Sean White. I want him to succeed and I don't think Auburn is going to be the best situation for his skill set moving forward, and that's why I said I want him to transfer. Yes, it would help our depth next year to have him, but he's too good of a pocket passer to be sitting on our bench. My opinion is that JFIII is going to be the starter next year. This happens to be the opinion of a lot of people who follow Auburn closely. He was brought in to be the starting QB, because he is athletic and has shown he can run the read option, and that's the direction the offense is heading from everything I am hearing.

Lack of experience is not an excuse. In 2013 we had a first year staff and QB who had never taken a college snap at QB. We had a decent level of experience this year on offense considering how much a college football roster changes from year to year. The problem was Gus got away from the read-option and completely adjusted the offense. He put all his stock this year in Jeremy Johnson being able to operate the adjusted offense, and he was a complete bust. After that we scrambled for answers and found none to completely turn things back around. Sean was a bright spot, but he wasn't ready to win consistently and then he got hurt. At the end of the day we finished 6-6 and Gus knows he will likely not be Auburn's coach in a year unless there is a lot of improvement. It's just my strong opinion that his plan to right the ship is to go back to the 2013 formula and that's where JFIII comes in. I don't have any personal knowledge on his leadership abilities, but I assume the coaches do because they scouted him and offered him and told him he can come in and win the starting QB job. CDC also has some experience with him from FSU.

Archived