King Drive-In Russellville, Al.

augolf1716

My Uncle Lee started this drive in theater in 1949. I worked there as kid handling the pony rides and concessions. Had great times there as a kid back in the hey day of drive in's. Oh the memories

https://www.google.c...bmVCQ0QoioIczAK

The King Drive-In is a historic drive-in theater located in Russellville, Alabama. It is the oldest continually operating drive-in theater in the state of Alabama.

The King Drive-In began showing films in 1949 when it was originally owned by namesake A.L. King. King's son, Morgan, took over operations in 1974. Traditionally, the theater screened films throughout the summer at this time when local children and teenagers were out of school. In more recent years, the drive in has opened earlier during the Spring and also remained open into the Fall.

The King Drive-In remains among the last currently operating drive-in theater in North Alabama. It has survived for more than 60 years in Franklin County, despite the additions of digital screens in Florence, Alabama, as well as the attraction of area high school football games during the fall months. It has upgraded its facilities to include the transmission of sound through FM radio, as well as an upgraded screen and projector.

Currently, the King Drive-In plays a double and sometimes triple features on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Trailers for upcoming films are played in between films to give customers time for concessions or a restroom break. The location is known as a gathering point for area youths and family on summer weekend nights.

I have been there many times. Took my gf there the first day I received my license as a matter of fact in my grandfathers truck. I love that place.

That's nice to hear jeff

Use to have the best hamburgers. When the wife and I would go back to visit my parents we always went to the drive in for the burgers. Of course being that we got them free didn't hurt.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I grew up in Russellville. We moved there in 1981, wasn't much happening with the drive in by the time I got to be a teenager though.

Wow! I grew up in Russellville. We moved there in 1981, wasn't much happening with the drive in by the time I got to be a teenager though.

How? I still remember the date. Me and a chick watched two movies, one of them being white chicks and that was only a decade ago. When were you a teenager?

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't been back to R'ville since my parents and brother passed away many years ago. To let you know back in the day all the land behind the parking lot of the drive-in use to be a horse ranch that my Uncle had with about 200 horses. He raised quarter horses for racing as well as owning the drive in. He would pay me $10.00 a horse to break. Amazing I never got any broken bones with the number of times I was thrown off.

Archived