**Official** New Auburn OL coach Herb Hand

doc4aday

CYeY8tMU0AAHJrj.jpg

Auburn's Gus Malzahn hired Herb Hand as his offensive line coach Monday in a move that reunites the two friends who worked together on the No. 1-ranked offense in the country.

Malzahn and Hand once shared the title as co-offensive coordinator at Tulsa, and they molded an offense there that was tops the nation two straight seasons. Now, Malzahn and Hand are together again after Hand agreed to leave Penn State after two years of serving as the offensive line coach and run game coordinator.

Hand is replacing J.B. Grimes, who left to become offensive line coach at Cincinnati.

“My family and I are extremely excited to join the Auburn football family and be a part of a program with such great tradition and history," Hand said in a statement. "We’re especially excited to rejoin Coach Malzahn and work with him again. It was an opportunity that was way too good for us to pass up. I want to thank Coach James Franklin and the Penn State football program for two great years and I wish them nothing but the best moving forward."

Malzahn and Hand worked together at Tulsa in 2007 and 2008. Malzahn called the plays. Hand coached the offensive line.

"I'm excited to be teaming up with Coach Hand again after working together for two years at Tulsa where we were very successful offensively," Malzahn said. "He's a wonderful person and coach, and we’re glad to welcome him to Auburn."

Malzahn has hired four coaches since the end of the season, and all of them with SEC coaching experience. Hand was offensive line coach and run game coordinator at Vanderbilt in 2010-12. Malzahn has also hired SEC veterans Kevin Steele, as his defensive coordinator; Wesley McGriff, as his secondary coach and co-defensive coordinator; and Travis Williams, a former Auburn player, graduate assistant and defensive analyst.

Malzahn wished Grimes well.

"I want to thank J.B. Grimes for his hard work and dedication the last three years at Auburn. He is a true professional and a big-time coach. We wish him and his family nothing but the best with his new job."

Herb Hand's coaching experience

2014-15 - Penn State (run game coordinator/offensive line)

2013 - Vanderbilt (offensive line/run game coordinator)

2010-12 - Vanderbilt (offensive line)

2009 - Tulsa (assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/offensive line)

2007-08 - Tulsa (co-offensive coordinator/offensive line)

2001-06 - West Virginia (tight ends/recruiting coordinator)

1999-2000 - Clemson (offensive graduate assistant)

1997-98 - Concord College (defensive coordinator/special teams)

1994-96 - Glenville State College (defensive coordinator

1991-93 - West Virginia Wesleyan (defensive graduate assistant)

http://www.auburntig.../011116aaa.html

I hated to see Coach Grimes leave, but I know he is doing the right thing and I wish him the absolute best.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he would be fine. One thing that I will do and I think some others will do will be to look at all of the teams that ran a spread offense similar to ours that have had good success and go from there. Is there anything solid that Gus is going to hire Hand, he seems like a good choice for the OL position?

WDE & WDC!!

There seems to be quite a bit of buzz on Herb Hand. How is he received on here? Good hire? Meh hire? Bad hire? A hire only because Gus knows him? Is he a good recruiter?

If he comes to AU, since him and Gus were co-OC's, would their experience help or hinder? Seems like we have 3 heads already working in some capacity doing the OCing with Gus, Lashlee, and Craig. Would that help the cause or just be a symptom of "having too many chefs in the kitchen"?

I know nothing about Herb Hand, other than he worked with Gus @ Tulsa, so forgive my ignorance.

Yep pretty sure it will be Hand but if I were to pick a second option I would probably pick Steve Campbell.

Former GA at AU (not the reason I'm listing him, lol) interviewed for the OL job when Chizik was hired but was passed over for Jeff Grimes. Current HC at Central Arkansas.

Delta University HC: Compiled a 27–8 record over three seasons which is a school record .771 winning percentage. His no-huddle offense shattered 12 Gulf South Conference Records and six NCAA Division II records. DSU also won the 2000 DII National Championship, with Campbell earning National Coach of the Year honors by three different organizations.

Middle Tenn: OC and OL coach. At Middle Tennessee, Campbell's offense produced a 1,000-yard rusher and scored more than 20 points against three of the four SEC teams faced, including a win at in-state rival Vanderbilt.

Was the OL Coach at Miss St. in Sherrill's last year before taking the HC job at MGCCC. Went 87-22 in 10 seasons there. Following the 2013 season he had 15 players sign with D1 schools.

On a side note the guy has never had a losing season as a HC.

If the mods want to merge this with the old post about coaching hires, than that will be fine. If not, lets start the poker hand of who holds the best hand and figuring out who the next OL coach will be. I hated to see Coach Grimes leave, but I know he is doing the right thing and I wish him the absolute best.

I see what you did there.

Yep pretty sure it will be Hand but if I were to pick a second option I would probably pick Steve Campbell.

Former GA at AU (not the reason I'm listing him, lol) interviewed for the OL job when Chizik was hired but was passed over for Jeff Grimes. Current HC at Central Arkansas.

Delta University HC: Compiled a 27–8 record over three seasons which is a school record .771 winning percentage. His no-huddle offense shattered 12 Gulf South Conference Records and six NCAA Division II records. DSU also won the 2000 DII National Championship, with Campbell earning National Coach of the Year honors by three different organizations.

Middle Tenn: OC and OL coach. At Middle Tennessee, Campbell's offense produced a 1,000-yard rusher and scored more than 20 points against three of the four SEC teams faced, including a win at in-state rival Vanderbilt.

Was the OL Coach at Miss St. in Sherrill's last year before taking the HC job at MGCCC. Went 87-22 in 10 seasons there. Following the 2013 season he had 15 players sign with D1 schools.

Do folks think he'd be up for moving from a successful stint as HC to become an OL coach, even if it's a step up in schools?

Do folks think he'd be up for moving from a successful stint as HC to become an OL coach, even if it's a step up in schools?

He's making 185k I believe as HC at central Arkansas. He's applied for the OL job before while he was HC at MGCCC. Not to mention he got he his MA degree from AU. Like many I believe it'll be hand but I do think Campbell would be a solid option.

I see hand as as more than a line coach. He worked as co- coordinator with Gus at Tulsa. Gus gave him credit for many ideas in the running game his first year here

If Young comes back (and no injuries, discipline issues, etc.) the new OL coach could have a lot to work with. Four returning starters--three seniors and two juniors.

He's making 185k I believe as HC at central Arkansas. He's applied for the OL job before while he was HC at MGCCC. Not to mention he got he his MA degree from AU. Like many I believe it'll be hand but I do think Campbell would be a solid option.

Thanks, Mav.

Hand talk is all over Twitter this afternoon. The Penn State folks are acknowledging it as well.

I see hand as as more than a line coach. He worked as co- coordinator with Gus at Tulsa. Gus gave him credit for many ideas in the running game his first year here

Yeah, I think he would contribute a lot to the O, more than just the standard OL coaching responsibilities.

Hand talk is all over Twitter this afternoon. The Penn State folks are acknowledging it as well.

Can you give a specific source of the PSU fans? I bet they are up in arms about losing Shoop. I really did not think Shoop would ever leave Coach Franklin. UT is a step down from PSU in my opinion. Who knows folks? I do not see any support for getting Jeff Grimes to come as OL, so I guess he is out of the equation. I am sure Gus will hire who he thinks is the best OL coach for his offense. Hand does seem to know a lot about Gus' Spread/Zone Read etc. This could be a huge asset with hiring CHH from PSU.

Josh Norris
Retweeted

1p29-ev__bigger.jpg

@
DanWolken
23m23 minutes ago

Hearing more staff attrition from Penn State coming: OL coach Herb Hand headed toward a deal with Auburn, per person with knowledge.

19 retweets
4 likes

Josh Norris
Retweeted

1p29-ev__bigger.jpg

‏
@
DanWolken
23m23 minutes ago

Hearing more staff attrition from Penn State coming: OL coach Herb Hand headed toward a deal with Auburn, per person with knowledge.

19 retweets
4 likes

Sorry for the double post. My fingers get a bit giddy on me from time to time. This chemo stuff makes my hands jump on their own. It is a weird sensation indeed. I am confident of going into remission after this round of chemo is over. My markers are looking better and better.

Thanks for the Twitter link. I have tried to get set up with twitter, but each time I hit a brick wall. Maybe it is not meant for me to have twitter!

Josh Norris
Retweeted

1p29-ev__bigger.jpg

‏
@
DanWolken
23m23 minutes ago

19 retweets
4 likes

Sorry for the double post. My fingers get a bit giddy on me from time to time. This chemo stuff makes my hands jump on their own. It is a weird sensation indeed. I am confident of going into remission after this round of chemo is over. My markers are looking better and better.

Thanks for the Twitter link. I have tried to get set up with twitter, but each time I hit a brick wall. Maybe it is not meant for me to have twitter!

Good luck, doc!

Archived