The Jay Jacobs Resume

RunInRed

Maybe it's the poor football season coupled with UAT's successes on the gridiron but for whatever reason, we continue to hear a lot of chatter from the rank and file about Jay. I'm withholding opinions but thought a holistic look at his "resume" may be constructive ...

8007126.jpeg

Jay was hired on December 22, 2004 after serving in a variety of roles throughout the Athletics Department prior, including being in charge of Tigers Unlimited.

Here's how the three major sports have fared during his tenure:

Football (2005 : 2015)

• 79-37 (.681)
  • 5-3 Bowl Record
  • 2 SEC Titles (2010, 2013)
  • 1 National Title (2010)
  • Facilities Improvements:
    • $13.9 million south end zone video board and audio system for JHS
    • $51 million suite-styled South Donahue Residence Hall (house more non-athletes than athletes, but almost the entire football team is there as will many athletes from other sports)
    • $16 million multipurpose 100-yard indoor practice facility
    • $6 million Wellness Kitchen
    • JHS Phase 1C renovation completed in 2006 included new concessions and expanded restroom facilities on the west and east concourses along with plaza on the west side of the stadium; $2.9 million HD video board in south end zone

Basketball (2004-05 : 2014-15)

• 160-188 (.460)
  • No NCAA Tournament Appearances
  • 1 NIT Appearance (Quarterfinals)
  • Facilities Improvements:
    • $86 million Auburn Arena and practice facility including new space for the Auburn University Athletics Ticket Office, the AU Team Shop, the relocated Jonathan B. Lovelace Hall of Honor,food courts and other amenities, including "tailgate suites" facing Jordan-Hare Stadium and rental space available for private functions

Baseball (2005 : 2015)

• 346-293 (.541)
  • 3 post-season appearances:
    • 2005 (2-2): Eliminated by Florida St. in the Tallahassee Regional final.
    • 2010 (3-2): Eliminated by Clemson in the Auburn Regional final.
    • 2015 (1-2): Eliminated by College of Charleston in the Tallahassee Regional semi-final.

[*]Facilities:

• $1 million Team Clubhouse Renovation (Tim Hudson donation)
    • Tiger Tailgate Terrace Area
    • Misc: New home bullpen, batting cages, etc.

Other

• Partnership with Under Armour; $78.1 million over the next nine years at an average of $8.68 million per year, making it the third-largest apparel deal in the country, largest in SEC
  • Equestrian National Champions (2006, 2011, 2013)
  • Men's Swimming and Diving National Champions (2005, 2006, 2007, 2009)
  • Women's Swimming and Diving National Champions (2006, 2007)
  • Women's Outdoor Track and Field National Champions (2006)
  • Women's Basketball SEC Champion (2009)
  • Women's Golf SEC Champion (2005, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2012)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bad..many have done worse and received less scrutiny

True. But Basketball and Baseball have been problems for awhile and Football, very inconsistent - it's literally been BOOM or bust.

I'm not a Jay Jacobs apologist by any means but I think Jay has made enough hires and done enough around Auburn to justify his job and pay grade.

IBA4E

True. But Basketball and Baseball have been problems for awhile and Football, very inconsistent - it's literally been BOOM or bust.

Jay brought in a good Coach in Pearl and built an 86 million dollar arena. And yeah, Pearl was show-cause but that shows Jacob's willingness to take a risk. It's not like Jay is not trying to bring life into the basketball program.

Jay brought in a good Coach in Pearl and built an 86 million dollar arena. And yeah, Pearl was show-cause but that shows Jacob's willingness to take a risk. It's not like Jay is not trying to bein life into the basketball program.

Hopefully Pearl will be around for awhile but recent comments by some posters has me worried he may be gone sooner rather than later.

Well he sure don't mind spending money that's for damn sure. I still want a PROFESSIONAL independent thinking manager. Neither of which does Flat Bed qualify as.

Well he sure don't mind spending money that's for damn sure. I still want a PROFESSIONAL independent thinking manager. Neither of which does Flat Bed qualify as.

An independent thinker would NEVER make it past our BOT, the Administration or the PTB at Auburn and you know it.

I think they are the "rank 'n file" RuninRed is talking about?

Again all these so called bad hires are all crap. ChiziK brought us a NC (also brought Gus). Barbee was and is a big name in men's basketball. He might not have been successful, but no one can complain about he was a good hire at the time. Pearl was a great hire but like Barbee only time will tell, and it may be due to AU not having a strong BB background to begin with. The baseball coach also was a big time hire. It did not work out but no one can fault JJ for going after him. Not one hire that he has made, can I fault at the time of hire. Hindsight is a whole lot better, but you can't judge people on things that no one could have known in advance. I will agree with some that the contracts he has done, have not been good for AU. I would be in favor of allowing someone else to negotiate future contracts and look out more for AU's side. WDE

How specifically did he run off Coach Marsh? Coach Marsh wanted to be the Olympic Coach, he could not do that while at Auburn. Jay went all out to try to keep him, but he could not attain his dream/goal at a University setting. He did just get named as one of the USA Olympic head coaches for RIO, at a USA Swimming Team of Excellence in Charlotte.

Some good things, some bad, but the stadium is a real sore spot for me, sorry.

When it comes to our beloved Jordan Hare stadium, the symbol of the Auburn football program and Auburn gameday, it all comes down to this. In 2006, JJ put in some restrooms, some concessions, a plaza and a new video board. In 2015, 9 years later, he tore that video board down and put in a bigger video board. In a decade that's it. But he studied and talked about it a lot, now that he did.

In that decade he had a master plan completed which was touted as the vision of JH, said it was designed so it could be completed in phases, kept pushing the concept back and finally scrapped it. Then he had a new concept drawn up for the North EZ, sent it back for revisions in May '15, a new version was completed in Nov/Dec, that version sent to season ticket holders for, you guessed it, yet another "study". Meanwhile we wait and "hope" that something will be started at the end of next year.

Some good things, some bad, but the following is a real sore spot for me, sorry.

When it comes to our beloved Jordan Hare stadium, the symbol of the football program and Auburn gameday, it comes down like this. In 2006, JJ put in some restrooms, some concessions, a plaza and a new video board. Then 9 years later in 2015, he tore that video board down and put in a bigger video board. That's it in a decade. Oh but he studied and talked about it a lot, he sure did.

Yes, in that decade he had a master plan completed which was touted as the vision of JH, said it was designed so it could be completed in phases, kept pushing the concept back and then he finally scrapped it. Then he had a new concept drawn up for the North EZ, sent it back for revisions in May, a new version completed in Nov/Dec, that version sent to season ticket holders for "study" and we wait. Meanwhile, we "hope" that something will be started at the end of next year.

We are being strung out and sucked into believing it's about to happen.

It's good that he is a religious man, because it seems that two miracle seasons in football have kept him in his job. He hired Gene Chizik and somehow (Cam says hello) came out of it with a NC. Then hired a novice coach who rode two miraculous plays (if you don't count the msu td as #3) to a SEC title.

With that being said we could end up in great shape IF Gus turns it around, we can keep BP around, and Thompson pans out.

I do think it's a shame they didn't hire someone with skills for the AD position.

It might be more amusing to post his resume that secured him the AD position over a multi million dollar sports operation. Oh, and the resumes of several people we could have gotten.

I would love to see Marsh win a ton of gold in Rio, and decide it is time to come back to Auburn and pick up where he left things. In a few years, we will dominate the college world of swimming.

Some good things, some bad, but the following is a real sore spot for me, sorry.

When it comes to our beloved Jordan Hare stadium, the symbol of the Auburn football program and Auburn gameday, it comes down to this. In 2006, JJ put in some restrooms, some concessions, a plaza and a new video board. Then 9 years later in 2015, he tore that video board down and put in a bigger video board. That's it in a decade. Oh but he studied and talked about it a lot, he sure did.

Yes, in that decade he had a master plan completed which was touted as the vision of JH, said it was designed so it could be completed in phases, kept pushing the concept back and then he finally scrapped it. Then he had a new concept drawn up for the North EZ, sent it back for revisions in May, a new version completed in Nov/Dec, that version sent to season ticket holders for, yes you guessed it, another "study". Meanwhile we wait and "hope" that something will be started at the end of next year.

We are being strung out and sucked into believing it's about to happen.

Unfortunately, the historical record indicates that could very well be the case. Let us just hope this time is the one time it's different.

How specifically did he run off Coach Marsh? Coach Marsh wanted to be the Olympic Coach, he could not do that while at Auburn. Jay went all out to try to keep him, but he could not attain his dream/goal at a University setting. He did just get named as one of the USA Olympic head coaches for RIO, at a USA Swimming Team of Excellence in Charlotte.

Plenty of US Olympic coaches are university coaches. If fact, I'm betting that the majority of Olympic coaches have come from universities. Dave has been on the Olympic coaching staff for 20years. Quite often Olympic swimming programs are based out of the university setting. Rowdy followed Richard Quick to Texas after his collegiate time was up and Phelps followed Bowman to Michigan as a club swimmer since he was ineligible for college due to his professional status. Dave defaulted to Charlotte when he became frustrated enough and finally was unable to work with Jay.

Looking at his resume, Jay looks to have performed darn well from a financial standpoint, which is THE bottom line.

I just got that one really sore spot.

Again all these so called bad hires are all crap. ChiziK brought us a NC (also brought Gus). Barbee was and is a big name in men's basketball. He might not have been successful, but no one can complain about he was a good hire at the time. Pearl was a great hire but like Barbee only time will tell, and it may be due to AU not having a strong BB background to begin with. The baseball coach also was a big time hire. It did not work out but no one can fault JJ for going after him. Not one hire that he has made, can I fault at the time of hire. Hindsight is a whole lot better, but you can't judge people on things that no one could have known in advance. I will agree with some that the contracts he has done, have not been good for AU. I would be in favor of allowing someone else to negotiate future contracts and look out more for AU's side. WDE

With all due respect, are you twelve? "all these", that's about the only correct statement in this whole stemwinder. Barbee was never a "big name" in basketball, he was associated with a big name who has gotten multiple programs sideways with the NCAA. Pearl and Myers were handed to Jacobs on a platter. He had to assemble a blue ribbon panel to hire Malzahn (who could not have been an easier choice under the circumstances). Pawlowski was a huge reach and most Sooner baseball people were relieved to have Golloway out of Norman. Your statement about not judging people on things that you couldn't know in advance is indeed a defense for someone you know should be fired. Jay Jacobs was one of the greatest foot soldiers Auburn has ever created. An unbelievable fund raiser for the athletic department in his role leading TUF. But just because a guy is a great salesman doesn't mean he is a great manager. Jacobs is a pharisee of the highest order, look into how tickets were distributed before light was shed on the scheme. And what will happen to Davis's lawsuit? What about how Golloway was fired and what about his suit? Look into the facts of how former player/GA Trent Mummy was summarily dismissed without explanation. And yep, he threw Chizik under the bus...and only paid him and his assistants $8.78 Million of somebody else's money so he could keep his job. Jay Jacobs is a whitewashed tomb.

I would love to see Marsh win a ton of gold in Rio, and decide it is time to come back to Auburn and pick up where he left things. In a few years, we will dominate the college world of swimming.

I agree.

However unlikely.

The truth is a funny thing. Even though true, some refuse to accept it. That's what happens when people have agendas and make up their minds based on something someone else said. It would be such a better world if people would actually take a minute to look into things before deciding who to blame. Thanks monster for doing just that. It's refreshing (and I agree with everything you said...namely because it's the truth)

Archived