The Jay Jacobs Resume

RunInRed

With the light being shown directly on the Ole Miss football program, I would say that some shady practices are happening in Oxford. I would be the first to say that the same practices are happening all around the college football world. But until that letter comes from the NCAA, you can't that about anyone else. With that said, is he winning games because of this? Or is he doing it the right way and winning because he is a good coach? The issue I have with JJ is the turnover in head coaches throughout the entire program. Anyone that has made as many hires as him should not still have a title as AD.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the light being shown directly on the Ole Miss football program, I would say that some shady practices are happening in Oxford. I would be the first to say that the same practices are happening all around the college football world. But until that letter comes from the NCAA, you can't that about anyone else. With that said, is he winning games because of this? Or is he doing it the right way and winning because he is a good coach? The issue I have with JJ is the turnover in head coaches throughout the entire program. Anyone that has made as many hires as him should not still have a title as AD.

And here we have the exact same argument we have seen over and over again that has zero logical reasoning. Simply amazing that we have some here that think our AD should be able to see into the future. Absolutely ludicrous.

No AD can see into the future. I guess AU has just had some REALLY crappy luck for our AD to rank dead last in the big 3 sports over the last decade?

I'm not a fire JJ fan, but somebody should see that this isn't acceptable in AU athletics. Jacobs is an Auburn Man to his core, of that I have no doubt. But is he anything more than a puppet with no backbone?

How do you mention some of the sports listed and not NOT mention the hire of a huge softball coach. He had the team playing for a NT in just 2 years. Do you know what a big deal it is to make it to Oklahoma City to play in the Women's College World Series? Not only did Auburn make it, they dang near won it. I think of Auburn as more than the 3 big(men) sports. No I do not like how things have went in the FB program, but I don't stop loving Auburn and hope for success in ALL sports, ALL areas of the university. Do you know what it meant to girls and parents of girls, like my daughter, who love Auburn with their whole heart to see that kind of success? Auburn was better than Alabama and many other teams in the SEC, the SEC has taken over college softball. Please do not discredit the hard work that GIRLS put into their sports by not even considering their success. I know how hard they work, I know what it takes to play at that level. An example, football plays 4 quarters for 2-4 hours a week not including practice. My daughter has played 3 -4 (7) inning games, plus 3-4 (7) inning games in ONE day, all in the same week, games lasting between 2-3 hours not counting practice. Sure, not all girls wear equipment, but mine does. She plays in sleet, snow, rain, and 104 degree weather playing AT least 7 months a year. So please consider other sports besides men sports. Jay Jacobs has considered more than just football, he is trying to make AUBURN, successful, not just the 3 big men sports. I am sure he has thought he was making good hires with everyone he has hired and is more disappointed than ANYONE when he made the wrong choice. Just like he is most likely more proud when he has made the right choices, not for himself, but for Auburn. I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread, cause a nerve sure got struck. Thank goodness my daughter doesn't read these boards to see girls like her being unconsidered.

How do you mention some of the sports listed and not NOT mention the hire of a huge softball coach. He had the team playing for a NT in just 2 years. Do you know what a big deal it is to make it to Oklahoma City to play in the Women's College World Series? Not only did Auburn make it, they dang near won it. I think of Auburn as more than the 3 big(men) sports. No I do not like how things have went in the FB program, but I don't stop loving Auburn and hope for success in ALL sports, ALL areas of the university. Do you know what it meant to girls and parents of girls, like my daughter, who love Auburn with their whole heart to see that kind of success? Auburn was better than Alabama and many other teams in the SEC, the SEC has taken over college softball. Please do not discredit the hard work that GIRLS put into their sports by not even considering their success. I know how hard they work, I know what it takes to play at that level. An example, football plays 4 quarters for 2-4 hours a week not including practice. My daughter has played 3 -4 (7) inning games, plus 3-4 (7) inning games in ONE day, all in the same week, games lasting between 2-3 hours not counting practice. Sure, not all girls wear equipment, but mine does. She plays in sleet, snow, rain, and 104 degree weather playing AT least 7 months a year. So please consider other sports besides men sports. Jay Jacobs has considered more than just football, he is trying to make AUBURN, successful, not just the 3 big men sports. I am sure he has thought he was making good hires with everyone he has hired and is more disappointed than ANYONE when he made the wrong choice. Just like he is most likely more proud when he has made the right choices, not for himself, but for Auburn. I wish I hadn't clicked on this thread, cause a nerve sure got struck. Thank goodness my daughter doesn't read these boards to see girls like her being unconsidered.

No disrespect was meant towards women's athletics in any way. We know and recognize how hard ALL of the AU student athletes work and we are proud of their success and improvements. My niece was on 2 AU equestrian National Championships teams ~ my brother-in-law donated many top horses to AU for competition. We are all very proud of the ladies!

That doesn't change the fact that college athletics is ruled by the sports that generate the most revenue and spend the most money and in the SEC that's Football/Basketball/Baseball. Jay Jacobs is an AUBURN first kind of man - he is AU right down to his liver and has worked to do everything in his power to make AU Athletics the best. The fact is, AU is last in the Big 3 sports in the last decade, that's is just shocking and sad to me.

It is not the point that the AD have a crystal ball. When or where is the line that he can not hire the right person? What company or organization keeps the person in charge of hiring this many chances to get it right? One of my biggest problems was letting David Marsh go. He should have opened the bank to keep the best swimming coach in the country, coaching at auburn.

.... Jacobs is an Auburn Man to his core, of that I have no doubt. But is he anything more than a puppet with no backbone?

...When or where is the line that he can not hire the right person? What company or organization keeps the person in charge of hiring this many chances to get it right?...

Who is holding the strings?

Just asking.

It is not the point that the AD have a crystal ball. When or where is the line that he can not hire the right person? What company or organization keeps the person in charge of hiring this many chances to get it right? One of my biggest problems was letting David Marsh go. He should have opened the bank to keep the best swimming coach in the country, coaching at auburn.

Unless you were in on those meetings, its incredibly unfair to assume he "let David Marsh go". How do you know he didn't open the bank to keep him? Answer, you don't. Nobody here knows. This is the exact same perspective on this situation everybody in the "fire jacobs" crowd parrots day after day without really knowing any facts surrounding the situation. Massive Assumption, zero proof. Nobody even remotely considers the idea that David Marsh decided on his own that he needed to move on to advance his career and that he had other goals he wanted to achieve.

Unless you were in on those meetings, its incredibly unfair to assume he "let David Marsh go". How do you know he didn't open the bank to keep him? Answer, you don't. Nobody here knows. This is the exact same perspective on this situation everybody in the "fire jacobs" crowd parrots day after day without really knowing any facts surrounding the situation. Massive Assumption, zero proof. Nobody even remotely considers the idea that David Marsh decided on his own that he needed to move on to advance his career and that he had other goals he wanted to achieve.

David Marsh aside WT, what company/corportation chooses to allow the Director of a division of that company to continue to remain in charge of their division when over a decade of evidence shows that the division is last among it's competitors?

Jay Jacobs has done his best to make AU the best in this conference, he is an Auburn Man and I think a good person. But that doesn't change the fact that AU Athletics is last in the big 3 men's sports over the last decade. Someone in power in the Auburn Administration has so see that this isn't even close to good enough. Someone has to see that a change has to be made, we can't get any worse than last so why not take a chance and shake things up and see what happens? The change may NOT need to be made to fire Jacobs, but simply move him to another area of the company (fundraising/ticket office/development planning) and try a new Athletic Director and see if they have better results that what we've currently seen.

I am not in the "Fire JJ" group, but am very disappointed in how many coaching hires of his have failed at Auburn. On paper, most all of them seem to be good hires, but then don't work out or produce despite being very successful at their previous universities. Can't help but wonder if there is something in the DNA or structure of the AU Athletic Dept that is the root cause of this long list of coaching failures.

He owns those hires, regardless of what some want to think. The right hires win needed games more often than not. The wrong ones don't and are left with a handful of excuses. He could pull a rabbit out..... with the big 3 hires he has now. Hopefully, he's learned from his errors and we take off from here.

Marsh entertained going to Stanford as their swim coach before he eventually did leave because of Jay Jacobs. That is a fact. If you don't know who Chris Davis is at SwimAtlanta please google him. Chris Davis told his elite swimmers that Marsh was leaving AU before it was officially announced. He informed the parents of those elite swimmers who were wanting to go to AU that Marsh told him that Marsh's working relationship with Jay Jacobs was broken and Marsh was leaving. Eric Shanteau also spoke about the differences between Marsh and Jacobs.

So Marsh did decide "on his own" (which only a fool will take that literally) to leave AU.

wde

Women's softball is awesome, and everyone is loving their hard work and success. I would rather watch it than baseball. No one was disrepecting them by not discussing the more in this thread. It was a really good hire!

However, it wouldn't save JJ's job if fb goes in the toilet again (I don't think that will happen.). Hopefully, we can get consistently better in fb as they have in softball. Same for both the bballs as well.

Marsh entertained going to Stanford as their swim coach before he eventually did leave because of Jay Jacobs. That is a fact. If you don't know who Chris Davis is at SwimAtlanta please google him. Chris Davis told his elite swimmers that Marsh was leaving AU before it was officially announced. He informed the parents of those elite swimmers who were wanting to go to AU that Marsh told him that Marsh's working relationship with Jay Jacobs was broken and Marsh was leaving. Eric Shanteau also spoke about the differences between Marsh and Jacobs.

So Marsh did decide "on his own" (which only a fool will take that literally) to leave AU.

wde

Interesting tidbit that finally puts the whole Marsh thing to rest once and for all for me.

Archived