The Jay Jacobs Resume

RunInRed

It might be more amusing to post his resume that secured him the AD position over a multi million dollar sports operation. Oh, and the resumes of several people we could have gotten.

Check his resume against the two or three guys he followed. That would be informative.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another item to include on the resume would be Women's Softball. Clint Myers is a great hire and last year's team played with lots of grit and spirit. If you haven't had the chance to see a game lately, give it a try this coming season...lots of fun.

Um, yeah. We almost won the National Championship in softball. How is THAT not mentioned.

Also, with soccer: we're seeing the most successful run in Auburn soccer history, and it comes at a time when the conference is the most competitive it's ever been.

How specifically did he run off Coach Marsh? Coach Marsh wanted to be the Olympic Coach, he could not do that while at Auburn. Jay went all out to try to keep him, but he could not attain his dream/goal at a University setting. He did just get named as one of the USA Olympic head coaches for RIO, at a USA Swimming Team of Excellence in Charlotte.

Yes. I've always thought the "run off Marsh" claim needed more info to be seriously considered. After Auburn, Marsh quit coaching college athletics. If he had been "run off," wouldn't he have gone to another school? When a guy leaves the college game altogether, that sounds more like burnout or pursuing other interests to me.

So, since I judge an AD by how successful his sports programs are, why after all of these pretty good to great hires do the teams vary from wildly inconsistent (at best) to miserable (at worst)? Coaches are sent packing in 4 yrs or less. I know AU has done well financially but that is mainly due to the school loyalty factor. If we keep ending up in the bottom half of the SEC in the primary sports, those numbers will start to fizzle. There's something else in play here and I would love to know what it is.

Well he sure don't mind spending money that's for damn sure. I still want a PROFESSIONAL independent thinking manager. Neither of which does Flat Bed qualify as.

An independent thinker would NEVER make it past our BOT, the Administration or the PTB at Auburn and you know it.

I think they are the "rank 'n file" RuninRed is talking about?

An we have a winner. I think you hit the nail on the head, Keesler. Auburn, and the South in general, is stuck in the past and wants nothing to do with independent thinking. Unfortunately, I'm afraid the old guard is going to have to literally die off before things really change at Auburn.

Reviewing the resume, since his last major successes were in 2013, across the board, he could seriously be looking at a "what have you done for me lately" situation if baseball, football, and basketball don't make major strides in 2016.

Again all these so called bad hires are all crap. ChiziK brought us a NC (also brought Gus). Barbee was and is a big name in men's basketball. He might not have been successful, but no one can complain about he was a good hire at the time. Pearl was a great hire but like Barbee only time will tell, and it may be due to AU not having a strong BB background to begin with. The baseball coach also was a big time hire. It did not work out but no one can fault JJ for going after him. Not one hire that he has made, can I fault at the time of hire. Hindsight is a whole lot better, but you can't judge people on things that no one could have known in advance. I will agree with some that the contracts he has done, have not been good for AU. I would be in favor of allowing someone else to negotiate future contracts and look out more for AU's side. WDE

Good post

I've long had a beef with Jacobs over football scheduling, and I won't go into that again.

But, I do think that in terms of hiring the sentiment that Jacobs did the best he could at the time is apologist. I think the best that can be said is some of us were comfortable with a few of the hires, not that we thought they were strokes of genius.

Auburn needs an AD with a national perspective who can think outside the box and will turn Auburn into a flagship program recognized around the country for the values purported in the Auburn creed.

But I know the BOT is never going to let that happen.

Oh my heavens, not another thread on this guy.

That you didn't start is the shock...........

That you didn't start is the shock...........

Maybe it's the poor football season coupled with UAT's successes on the gridiron but for whatever reason, we continue to hear a lot of chatter from the rank and file about Jay.

Who is the "rank and file" chattering about Jay in the wake of UAT's successes?

No one seems to want to answer this question.

I still want to see a list of the top 5 ADs in college football....and it might be nice also to see a brief statement as to why they would change jobs to take the AU position?

Just that I see too many schools dump a coach or an AD and then grope around trying to find someone who actually does better.

So what's this I just read about how people are worried about BP? Are people really worried we might not get to keep him or whatever?

Nope....looks like a failure and another bad JJ hire. Time to cut him loose .....and get stuck with another big buy-out.

:drippingsarcasm7pa: for those who might think this is serious.

This coming from the same troll that uses every chance he gets to start pointless random threads about firing Jacobs. That's rich.

So what's this I just read about how people are worried about BP? Are people really worried we might not get to keep him or whatever?

The hinted issues seem to be related to how tightly the compliance department is watching him and not allowing him to do things that he feel are within the rules.

Jay, or any AD, is only as good as the people he surrounds himself with. Some of them need to go.......can you say Tim Jackson? RIR, maybe you could post the resumes of some of JJ's key staff and their qualifications/experience for the job they are in.

Archived