Daily Recruiting News (includes commit times)

ClaytonAU

Just a side note, according to NFL Draft scout.com, Barbers low 40 time was 4.53 Barber was nothing close to fast for a RB. His lack of runs for more than 20 yards shows just that. And replacing the 4.53 Barber, with a 4.71 true freshman, doesn't make much sense, to me at least. That's why I am glad I don't get paid to make these decisions, lol

http://www.nfldrafts...=2018&genpos=RB

I understand but he has said that since he lost the weight he has gotten faster and stronger. I am not sure when his last 40 time was taken so he may be much faster than the 4.71....we will see in the future what he can do...

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a side note, according to NFL Draft scout.com, Barbers low 40 time was 4.53 Barber was nothing close to fast for a RB. His lack of runs for more than 20 yards shows just that. And replacing the 4.53 Barber, with a 4.71 true freshman, doesn't make much sense, to me at least. That's why I am glad I don't get paid to make these decisions, lol

http://www.nfldrafts...=2018&genpos=RB

I understand but he has said that since he lost the weight he has gotten faster and stronger. I am not sure when his last 40 time was taken so he may be much faster than the 4.71....we will see in the future what he can do...

I don't know if it's true, but i know i saw somewhere that he spent most of his SR season hurt. If he lowered his weight, his body may not be able to hold up at the lower weight.

I'm not knocking the kid. I am extremely excited to have him as an Auburn Tiger. I just ultimately see him at FB. Pettway and Cox seem much more athletic than Miller. It just worries me that even if he winds up at RB, that he is the only RB in the class.

According to E, the coaching staff expected to lose a RB, so Barber leaving didn't change their recruiting plans. This makes me seriously question the decision making. I am sure if they expected one to leave it would probably be Roc. And if he (Roc) left, it wouldn't of been many carries lost. Barber leaving is a different story in my opinion. If JR goes down, we will have Roc and/or KJ as RB1. I have complete confidence in KJ, but I just don't know if he is ready to carry the load as RB1 just yet. And I love Roc as much as anyone, but there is a reason he has been 3rd string.

That being said, even if we signed a 3 or 4 star RB, its doubtful he could carry that load as a true freshman anyway.

Its been a long time since I've been as concerned about the RB position as I am at this moment.

I am sure if they expected one to leave it would probably be Roc. And if he (Roc) left

When I say the staff had an idea a RB would be gone after this season, that was going all the way back to when this recruiting period started, and that idea was Jovon would be the 1 to go pro. Until the past couple of months the idea of Roc transferring had not been a blip.
Its been a long time since I've been as concerned about the RB position as I am at this moment.

We will have 4 RBs on roster. It's been in worse shape than that, and recently. We've gone into seasons w/ 3 schollied RBs on roster that turned our well. Sure, you'd like to have 5 but 4 gets the job done most years. I know you want another RB bad a2e but as I said before, this is a very weak RB class. The staff feels this way as well. The only 4 the staff thought were worth taking besides MM were, Feaster, Kareem Walker, Holyfield, & Carlin Fils Amee. I'm sure there are a few RBs around the nation that will prove this next statement untrue but the staff just does not see there being any other viable options that could be quality SEC RBs. In that case, for them, there is no sense wasting a scholly on a body, especially given the already cramped 2016 counter spots w/ other needs higher on the board.

Edit I forgot Devin White & Antonio Williams. Devin was always going to be a tough pull & I can't remember if Antonio was ever a take or not.

I gotcha E. It just concerns me, especially with breaking in at least 2 new starters on the OL. I really hope JR can stay healthy. Seems like me must of really missed with Holyfield. Especially since his brother played for us. But that's a can of worms I won't get into. Great to see you back posting, on both sites E!

Take it for what it's worth but Pettway is no sloutch as a RB and he can fill the Barber role of taking some inside carries off JR to give him a rest. Having said that, I would encourage Kerryon and Roc to get on the weights this off season and pack on the muscle so they will be able to carry the JR #1 RB load, both outside AND inside, if he ever gets injured.

Somebody needs to tell Jerome Bettis he wasn't a running back. Any takers?

I volunteer A4E. Somebody's gotta take one for the team...

Take it for what it's worth but Pettway is no sloutch as a RB and he can fill the Barber role of taking some inside carries off JR to give him a rest. Having said that, I would encourage Kerryon and Roc to get on the weights this off season and pack on the muscle so they will be able to carry the JR #1 RB load, both outside AND inside, if he ever gets injured.

It would be cool if we started handing the rock off the the HB out of the I formation especially on the goal line.

It would be cool if we started handing the rock off the the HB out of the I formation especially on the goal line.

Not to hijack this good thread but man isn't that the truth. If it is one formation we run that I truly hate it is staying in the shotgun down on the goal line. There comes a time when you need to man up, quit the cute crap and ram it down the other team's throats.

Hey RB discussions would be cool in another thread ;)/>

I wish we could lock the thread at the OP and only one or two provide updates.

Hey RB discussions would be cool in another thread ;)/>

Point taken. This is an awesome thread, much appreciated. I'll leave this here for awhile to make sure you see it and then I'll delete it. I'll delete my previous response, too.

Great stuff, Clayton.

Nah you're totally fine Loof. I enjoy your posts. Just trying to keep this thread from getting too cluttered is all!

Not to hijack this good thread but man isn't that the truth. If it is one formation we run that I truly hate it is staying in the shotgun down on the goal line. There comes a time when you need to man up, quit the cute crap and ram it down the other team's throats.

I would love to see Gus having us in the wishbone formation from time to time. Talking about confusing defenses? The wishbone would have a devastating effect on all defenses we will face for the season. I do not think any defense could defend this if it is executed correctly. I think that there is a 99.9% chance that we will never see Gus implement this. What do you think?

I would love to see Gus having us in the wishbone formation from time to time. Talking about confusing defenses? The wishbone would have a devastating effect on all defenses we will face for the season. I do not think any defense could defend this if it is executed correctly. I think that there is a 99.9% chance that we will never see Gus implement this. What do you think?

That's the beauty of having a DTQB. With 2 RBs in the backfield with the QB we can present a "wishbone or power I look". Then one guy goes in motion, and all of a sudden we're in a 4 WR set! Very difficult to defend!

Any word on how Warrior's visit is going? I hate it that he could not have been here last weekend with the other recruits and the basketball game going on.

That's the beauty of having a DTQB. With 2 RBs in the backfield with the QB we can present a "wishbone or power I look". Then one guy goes in motion, and all of a sudden we're in a 4 WR set! Very difficult to defend!

Guys, you are cluttering up Clayton's work space. This thread was really meant as a thread for daily recruiting updates, not discussion. There are plenty other threads out there where pointless and irrelevant discussions can take place.

When I asked about another running back the other day someone on here told me Steven Davis Jr. might be able to fill the roll if needed. ???? What about it guys?

If we could sign him!

Somebody needs to tell Jerome Bettis he wasn't a running back. Any takers?

Or Rudi Johnson for that matter...

Rudy Johnson was much faster than that. Bettis on the other hand, RBs like him are very much the exception and not the rule.

However after doing some of my own research, I couldn't even find the listing of 4.76 anywhere. The only 40 time I could find was from ESPN where he is listed as 4.89. There is no way that is SEC lvl speed. That's FCS lvl speed.

I apologize for bringing this back up, but others keep bringing up names, basically calling me out for having a concern.

Anyway, WDE guys

Archived