AUBURN KNOCKS OFF FLORIDA IN MEN'S S&D

augolf1716

Nice win been awhile..........

http://www.auburntig.../012316aaa.html

With the conference meet just under a month away, the Auburn swimming and diving teams went head-to-head with one of their fiercest competitors in Florida on Saturday morning in Gainesville, Fla. The result was a 154.5-145.5 win for the seventh-ranked men over the third-ranked Gators and a 192-108 loss for the ninth-ranked women.

This seasons team of men have a shot! They have built in some depth and their front line is damn good. I think we can win the SEC and compete for a national title.

• 3 weeks later...

gave him almost a month, surprised someone who blasted JJ for the coaching change has not recognized this accomplishment as much of a fan he appeared to be he seems to have forgotten completely about the program, shocker.....

gave him almost a month, surprised someone who blasted JJ for the coaching change has not recognized this accomplishment as much of a fan he appeared to be he seems to have forgotten completely about the program, shocker.....

It could be me your are talking about, I suppose. If not I certainly fit your criteria. Follow the sport long enough and you'll learn that coaches with the top teams look at dual meets as tuneups for the conference and national meets. They also let some less proven swimmers get a chance to compete and so forth. Don't know that's what UF did in this meet, but it's likely. Coach Marsh used to do that routinely, even against bammer.

We've gone from a perennial national contender and 15 or so consecutive SEC championships to getting all excited over winning a dual meet. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won but we're a long, long way from what Auburn used to be in the swimming world. The blame for that lays nowhere but squarely at JJ's feet.

I don't usually wade into these discussions ... unless someone can point it out, I believe Marsh was the most successful coach in Auburn history. I don't recall specifics, but I don't believe he was asking for all that much in the greater scheme of Auburn athletics. JJ rebuffed him ... one more time and he had enough and left. I could miss remember the angst between them ... but Marsh undeniably built a monster of a swim program at Auburn.

I don't usually wade into these discussions ... unless someone can point it out, I believe Marsh was the most successful coach in Auburn history. I don't recall specifics, but I don't believe he was asking for all that much in the greater scheme of Auburn athletics. JJ rebuffed him ... one more time and he had enough and left. I could miss remember the angst between them ... but Marsh undeniably built a monster of a swim program at Auburn.

David Marsh was the most successful coach in Auburn history, in State of Alabama history and one of the most successful in the history of the world. 12 national championships, (seven men, five women) all won in true competition, none won as the result of a popularity contest. His teams won 16 men's and five women's SEC championships.

He was promised some minor improvements in the swimming facilities and then when the time cam, those things were not provided. Twice! So he did what any Auburn man with integrity would have done,,,he left.

Archived