Softball building towards opener

http://www.auburntig.../013016aaa.html

Jan. 30, 2016

11650799.jpeg

Clint Myers said Saturday he likes the progress of his Auburn softball team

By Charles Goldberg

AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. ― Auburn softball coach Clint Myers had just completed a scrimmage Saturday and was already thinking about another, the one in which he'll give his freshmen a chance to shine in a practice game with umpires and the public address system going full blast.

"The only thing we would lack," he said, "are the fans in the stands."

Maybe not. Myers made a call for Auburn fans to show up next Saturday at noon for pregame work and then a two-hour practice game. He said he'd like a 1,000 fans to be at Jane B. Moore Field so his younger players can get accustomed to playing in front of a crowd.

Myers figures their reaction will go something like this:

"'Wow, there are a lot of people here.'"

His reply? "You haven't seen anything yet."

Auburn has added permanent bleachers down the first base and third base lines to raise seating to just under 2,000 for Myers' third season. That's an acknowledgement of the interest he has helped create in the softball program. Auburn made its first College World Series appearance last season and returns many of the starters from last year's team that won a school-record 56 games.

Saturday he looked up at the new bleachers and was pleased, but "we need more seats. We're already sold out."

There are standing room only tickets left for all games that will raise capacity even more. But season tickets and single-game general admission for all games are sold out. Some reserved seats are still available.

What will the fans see? Myers said a team that is progressing toward its season-opener against Appalachian State on Feb. 11.

"We're getting better, and that's the key thing," he said Saturday. "We're a lot better than when we started Jan. 8.

"The toughest is on the freshmen, the newbies, they're trying to figure, one, the game out; and, two, figure us out. Overall, I'm pleased where we are. It's going to be interesting to see where we end up because potentially, this could be an outstanding team."

Last year's team made Auburn history by going to the World Series.

"What it has done is to understand the expectations are a lot more obtainable than before," Myers said. "Before, it was never been done. Now that it has happened, they can believe they can do this every year. We're not hoping to get to Oklahoma City. We're expecting to get to Oklahoma City. We're expecting to go out there and play for the national championship. They also understand that with expectations come a lot of hard work and a commitment. It's got to be done between the lines. It's got to be done at practices. Great teams have to be great all the time. You can't turn greatness on and off. These are the things they now know. They've tasted the Oklahoma City fever, and that's where every team in the country wants to be. I like what we're doing right now to get there."

So who will be in the starting lineup to begin with besides the same starters from last year? Any freshmen that might crack the lineup?

I still thinks it funny we are calling softball girls freshmen..and not freshwomen...lol.what happened to women libbers? ))

As far as I know, there will be two new outfielders and initially a new short stop. In center field and right field Morgan Estell and Brandy Melaro have graduated and replaced by two redshirt sophomores, Madi Gipson and Victoria Draper. Our starting short stop from last year and her back up (Haley Fagan and Kelsey Bogards) are both currently rehabbing from ACL surgery. I believe they are expected to able to play later in the year. The position is currently being handled by a sophomore, Whitney Jordan who saw some action last year in the outfield. There are a couple of good new pitchers joining the rotation we had last year.

As far as I know, there will be two new outfielders and initially a new short stop. In center field and right field Morgan Estell and Brandy Melaro have graduated and replaced by two redshirt sophomores, Madi Gipson and Victoria Draper. Our starting short stop from last year and her back up (Haley Fagan and Kelsey Bogards) are both currently rehabbing from ACL surgery. I believe they are expected to able to play later in the year. The position is currently being handled by a sophomore, Whitney Jordan who saw some action last year in the outfield. There are a couple of good new pitchers joining the rotation we had last year.

thanks so much for the update. I had forgotten that 2 of our SS had knee surgeries too. Looks like it will be a mix of seniors and sophs this year.

It all comes down to pitching so it will be interesting...

I went to the scrimmage Saturday. Not the number of fans coach had hoped for but it was good (free) entertainment. Pretty much everyone played and it appears we are developing some quality depth. We may have a bit more base speed this season as there appeared to be more steal attempts in the scrimmage. The addition of 2 new quality pitchers should give us some additional strength in that area. Makayla Martin a freshman from California and Kayle Carlson also from California who is a sophomore transfer in from North Carolina. Our other 3 primary pitchers are seniors although Jenna Abbott (junior) has pitched some on rare occasions. Season starts Thursday. I have tickets for Satruday

I can't wait till thursday when we get our first look at this team. It's going to be a fun year. Games thursday, Friday, 2 saturday and 1 sunday. Lots of softball coming...

Our family will be going to Knoxville the end of April, first of May for AU softball @ UT. My daughter plays softball so she is super excited to see them live!!

So who will be in the starting lineup to begin with besides the same starters from last year? Any freshmen that might crack the lineup?

I still thinks it funny we are calling softball girls freshmen..and not freshwomen...lol.what happened to women libbers? ))

LF - Tiffany Howard

2B - Emily Carosone

3B - Kasey Cooper

DP - Jenna Abbott

C - Carlee Wallace

1B - Jade Rhodes

SS - Whitney Jordan (will move back to RF when Haley Fagan returns)

RF - Madi Gipson

CF - Victoria Draper

P - Marcy Harper

Archived