2016 Grad Transfer OT Tyler Catalina (UGA commit. 2/15/16)

ellitor

Started the last 2 full seasons @ LT @ Rhode Island

Started @ RT the full season before that

Will OV AU February 19th-21st

Has other offers from Florida, Mizzou, Iowa St among others

Will have 1 to play 1

No offer yet.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmm......

Yup. Could mean not a good sign w/ Price & Sammons. AU has known from the get go they needed a LT.

Saw something about him a few days ago but didn't know if we were really interested.

If he comes in to play LT, who do we play at RT? Leff, Horton, James, or possibly Braden

Can a starting LT at Rhode Island move to the SEC and stop the likes of a Carl Lawson, and others? Maybe the coaches think he has a better chance than a freshman coming right out of HS. My money is on Leff or one of our other lineman (Braden Smith perhaps) getting the job. It's just a shame that Avery left a year early.

If he comes in to play LT, who do we play at RT? Leff, Horton, James, or possibly Braden

Now it obviously may not happen but Horton is trending to be the RT next season.

hmmm......

Yup. Could mean not a good sign w/ Price & Sammons. AU has known from the get go they needed a LT.

Do you think they are expecting Price or Sammons to start as true FR?

hmmm......

No but you still want a body or 2 for depth. The plan the whole year was to get 2 OTs & now we are struggling to even get 1.

hmmm......

Smith, Leff, Horton and James are all in the mix for the tackle spots, and we might have another candidate or two among the talented 2015 signees who redshirted.

What are they waiting for? Gus needs to put an offer on the table for Tyler. It doesn't matter if he has 1 year left or not. If we sign him, he'll be ready to play as soon as he gets to Auburn.

I can't see a grad transfer coming unless he is all but assured a starting position. He only has one shot. Is Catalina that much better than our other options at tackle?

hmmm......

Smith, Leff, Horton and James are all in the mix for the tackle spots, and we might have another candidate or two among the talented 2015 signees who redshirted.

None of them are true LTs though. I'm not saying TC is for SEC standards. Just that we don't have a true one for 2016 right now. 2017 & Calvin Ashley can't get here soon enough in that respect.

Leff has played left tackle and respected posters on this board have deemed him to be capable at least. Many have also speculated that Smith moving to tackle was pretty much imminent. I personally think he should stay where he is.

Leff has played left tackle and respected posters on this board have deemed him to be capable at least. Many have also speculated that Smith moving to tackle was pretty much imminent. I personally think he should stay where he is.

Braden is more servicanle & LT than Leff. I have seen mixed opinions from trusted people on Leff so I'm not sure what to think there.

Braden is more servicanle & LT than Leff. I have seen mixed opinions from trusted people on Leff so I'm not sure what to think there.

Yeah I guess reviews and opinions vary on both and I'm not saying that either one of those two is a sure thing. But put yourself in the position of Catalina, or any grad transfer for that matter. Is the position wide open enough for you to risk your one chance on it?

if he wants to play at a big boy school, this is about as "open" a shot he will possibly find at the LT position. We don't really have anyone with significant snaps at LT on the roster. Limited RT snaps on the roster that could move over. So does a Rhode Island tackle with 3 years of starting experience and the measurables feel like he can win the job against guys who weren't able to win the job in the past ...

Yeah I guess reviews and opinions vary on both and I'm not saying that either one of those two is a sure thing. But put yourself in the position of Catalina, or any grad transfer for that matter. Is the position wide open enough for you to risk your one chance on it?

Well is it any better than Florida who he just visited. Ivey surely locks up 1 OT spot when healthy.

if he wants to play at a big boy school, this is about as "open" a shot he will possibly find at the LT position. We don't really have anyone with significant snaps at LT on the roster. Limited RT snaps on the roster that could move over. So does a Rhode Island tackle with 3 years of starting experience and the measurables feel like he can win the job against guys who weren't able to win the job in the past ...

Well, in their defense, they weren't able to win the job in the past because it has been manned by 1st round NFL talent. But I do see your point and hope you see mine as well. Personally, I'm cool with it if he is just quality depth but I don't he would be cool with that.

Well is it any better than Florida who he just visited. Ivey surely locks up 1 OT spot when healthy.

Not sure what the position looks like at any of the other schools that he is considering. Just stands to reason that the one with the easiest path to starter would be the favorite.

Although I'd love to scream "It's the frickin Catalina Wine Mixer!!!!!" after every good block, I'm not sure I'm seeing that this helps us much. I dunno, not feeling this one.

Coleman and Young were getting whipped some too. Several blind side sacks but a lot of the blame went to immobile QBs. But why are we even talking about a grad transfer that will likely never set foot on our campus. I'm sure a school losing both starting tackles looks very appealing. But I would be surprised if he would waste time visiting a school with a maybe offer.

Coleman and Young were getting whipped some too. Several blind side sacks but a lot of the blame went to immobile QBs. But why are we even talking about a grad transfer that will likely never set foot on our campus. I'm sure a school losing both starting tackles looks very appealing. But I would be surprised if he would waste time visiting a school with a maybe offer.

He is setting foot on campus...at least for an OV. And if he visits that likely is not a waste of time as he would think an offer is a real possibility. Also the staff would not bring him in for an OV if they were not interested.

Archived