can anyone explain grayshirting?

aubiefifty

do we do this? is it wrong? do they get any assistance? thanx in advance.

They are asked to delay their enrollment until the following year so that they won't count towards this years class of 25. They would count towards next years class of 25. It's not usually a big deal if the team is upfront about it way in advance. It's usually not a good idea for a kids to stay away from school for a year. They can get into a lot of trouble and probably end up out of shape.

The big deal with this Coe kid is that he committed back in June and shut down his recruitment. They told him this past weekend that they might ask him to greyshirt and would let him know later. Coe was upset because he wasn't getting a straight answer from the coaches.

thank you. yes the coe kid was not done right. i just wanted to know all the facts and that if we do it we are upfront about it. thanks waynes...........

thank you. yes the coe kid was not done right. i just wanted to know all the facts and that if we do it we are upfront about it. thanks waynes...........

No problem. IIRC we had asked a player to greyshirt last year (I think it was Sullivan) about a month before signing day. I think it was because of CWM but it made me feel dirty non the less. It's part of big boy football but it should be made clear earlier in the process so that the kid can find another school who will give him a full ride right away (if that is what he wants)

I agree it should be done way in advance so the kid can find another school. This kind of thing comes back to haunt a school down the road.

It hasn't hurt the turds as of yet. I'm not in favor of it but the reality is it really doesn't seem to hurt the school.

There's nothing wrong with greyshirting as long as the school is upfront with the kid. In this case, a longtime commit suddenly began getting the cold shoulder from the school. When he was finally able to speak with someone, they revealed to him that his offer had been changed to a greyshirt. This seems to be a trend with Saban. A few years ago, he told Darius Philon that his offer was a greyshirt when he was on the way out for his signing day ceremony. The kid literally sat at the table and cried over the way it was handled.

A greyshirt is nothing but the school saying to a kid "We won't sign you now but if you hang around until next January we might could possibly maybe somehow have room for you then". There's nothing binding on either party. The kid is free to go anywhere he chooses and the school is under no legal obligation to sign him later.

As noted above, there's nothing wrong with this if everybody understands how it will be well in advance. A surprise during the closing days of signing periods is dirty, to say the least.

They are asked to delay their enrollment until the following year so that they won't count towards this years class of 25. They would count towards next years class of 25. It's not usually a big deal if the team is upfront about it way in advance. It's usually not a good idea for a kids to stay away from school for a year. They can get into a lot of trouble and probably end up out of shape.

The big deal with this Coe kid is that he committed back in June and shut down his recruitment. They told him this past weekend that they might ask him to greyshirt and would let him know later. Coe was upset because he wasn't getting a straight answer from the coaches.

Greyshirts don't have to wait a year, they only have to wait 4 months as their scholarship would kick in for 2nd semester in January.

I agree it should be done way in advance so the kid can find another school. This kind of thing comes back to haunt a school down the road.

It hasn't hurt the turds as of yet. I'm not in favor of it but the reality is it really doesn't seem to hurt the school.

It hasn't hurt them in the least, in fact it's the way they do buisness over there and based on the product they put on the field every damn year those shady tactics haven't phased that facotry one bit.

Greyshirts don't have to wait a year, they only have to wait 4 months as their scholarship would kick in for 2nd semester in January.

they can enroll on their own dime, I think for the fall semester.

That's assuming that some other "reason"does not turns up and the scholarship is not awarded.

Meanwhile, it's not a bad technique to keep a decent football prospect away from other schools in the area. JMO but in the Philon and Cole cases...that's what was going on....a kid who really, really wanted to go to bama, their dream school...but alas bama was stocked at their position....but fortunately for bama, the kid could be kept dangling past the point that some other SEC rival could pick him up.

That's assuming that some other "reason"does not turns up and the scholarship is not awarded.

Meanwhile, it's not a bad technique to keep a decent football prospect away from other schools in the area. JMO but in the Philon and Cole cases...that's what was going on....a kid who really, really wanted to go to bama, their dream school...but alas bama was stocked at their position....but fortunately for bama, the kid could be kept dangling past the point that some other SEC rival could pick him up.

To my knowledge, if Saban has offered a greyshirt to a kid he hasn't failed to award the GS when the kid arrives on campus.

I just don't see the big deal with this - it's not like this kid was getting heavily recruited by other big time SEC programs. Did Auburn have any interest in him, what about OleMiss or Florida?

I'm kind of surprised he got one from uat. He can either wait a few months and enroll in January, get top shelf coaching, training and development, or he can choose to accept his other offers from SoAla or Wake Forrest. If he and his parents are into him getting a great education then go to Wake and never look back - - - if they are into football then take a few freshmen classes online in the fall at a JrCollege and enroll in January at uat. :dunno:

To my knowledge, if Saban has offered a greyshirt to a kid he hasn't failed to award the GS when the kid arrives on campus.

I just don't see the big deal with this - it's not like this kid was getting heavily recruited by other big time SEC programs. Did Auburn have any interest in him, what about OleMiss or Florida?

I'm kind of surprised he got one from uat. He can either wait a few months and enroll in January, get top shelf coaching, training and development, or he can choose to accept his other offers from SoAla or Wake Forrest. If he and his parents are into him getting a great education then go to Wake and never look back - - - if they are into football then take a few freshmen classes online in the fall at a JrCollege and enroll in January at uat. :dunno:

Or he could sign with bama and finish his career at North Alabama or Jax State.

I'm kind of surprised he got one from uat. He can either wait a few months and enroll in January, get top shelf coaching, training and development, or he can choose to accept his other offers from SoAla or Wake Forrest. If he and his parents are into him getting a great education then go to Wake and never look back - - - if they are into football then take a few freshmen classes online in the fall at a JrCollege and enroll in January at uat. :dunno:/>

you would be correct except once he committed he shut recruiting down like Saban sometimes requires. He might have gotten interest or offers from other sec or P5 teams had he been on the market.

I'm kind of surprised he got one from uat. He can either wait a few months and enroll in January, get top shelf coaching, training and development, or he can choose to accept his other offers from SoAla or Wake Forrest. If he and his parents are into him getting a great education then go to Wake and never look back - - - if they are into football then take a few freshmen classes online in the fall at a JrCollege and enroll in January at uat. :dunno:/>

+1. ?

you would be correct except once he committed he shut recruiting down like Saban sometimes requires. He might have gotten interest or offers from other sec or P5 teams had he been on the market.

So other teams couldn't contact him, extend visits, etc. if he shut his recruiting down? I know very little about the situation other than who the kid had offers from.

Then Wake Forrest should be the hands down decision. He's taking a huge chance going to uat, but every recruit that signs with them knows that.

If you accept an offer from them you better be damn confident in your abilities because you are guaranteed to be standing side by side with the best talent in the country. Some kids and more importantly their parents are okay with that and they go into that situation with their eyes wide open.

So other teams couldn't contact him, extend visits, etc. if he shut his recruiting down? I know very little about the situation other than who the kid had offers from.

i believe contact has to be initiated through his hs coach or principle. If they tell them he is committed to bammer and wants no attention then the school has no choice but to leave him alone. I am partially speculating this was the case.

i believe contact has to be initiated through his hs coach or principle. If they tell them he is committed to bammer and wants no attention then the school has no choice but to leave him alone. I am partially speculating this was the case.

How do the 7 on 7 coaches involvement with their players affect the recruiting process? It's getting to the point where HS coaches are getting edged out of the process. This kid isn't a top talent recruit, so maybe the 7 on 7 involvement wont pertain to him. IDK

Alabama has not failed one time to honor the "greyshirt". Many feel that with Riley Cole, he was more than likely told up front, but in his mind, all he heard was scholarship. When he came on his OV, it was mentioned again. He then went home and got pissed about the possibility. Kids often hear only what they want. We all know that. I hate that the kid signed elsewhere.

As for the process, I think it helps a kid that may be recovering from an injury, needs more weight, needs to mature more, and to eliminate a more than likely redshirt should he enroll on time.

Alabama has not failed one time to honor the "greyshirt". Many feel that with Riley Cole, he was more than likely told up front, but in his mind, all he heard was scholarship. When he came on his OV, it was mentioned again. He then went home and got pissed about the possibility. Kids often hear only what they want. We all know that. I hate that the kid signed elsewhere.

As for the process, I think it helps a kid that may be recovering from an injury, needs more weight, needs to mature more, and to eliminate a more than likely redshirt should he enroll on time.

in his mind huh

Really?

Wasn't this guy one of Bama's first commits in the class? You're telling me that during that whole time, he was just ignoring the fact that his offer was for a grayshirt?

Face it, dude. He was the guy until something better came along, then he got tossed to the side. Bama's done it before.

“Oneonta (Ala.) three-star linebacker Riley Cole committed to the Alabama Crimson Tide moments after it offered in June and he's been ignoring other college programs ever since because of how sure he was about being a scholarship addition to the national champions in a few months. “[emphases in the original]

http://www.scout.com/college/alabama/story/1638015-riley-cole-backs-off-of-bama-pledge

In contrast, and with notable straightforwardness,

‘Auburn's class was "full" Monday, Thomas said, but Warrior's decision changed all that and an offer was made at the 11th hour.’

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/defensive_back_daniel_thomas_s.html

Archived