***2016 National Signing Day - NLI Signature Discussion Thread***

RunInRed

Are we done for the day? Finishing at 21?

That's what I was wondering. That's seems a rather low number

But two guys from last year count in this class (Dean and one other), which makes 23 and we are leaving a couple of spots open for grad transfers.

Grad Transfers do not count towards initial qualifiers I believe, but those open spots can be used next year for early enrollees to count back to this year....the other counting back is James the OT transfer from Texas

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think when you look at our class as a whole, you can see why we did well in certain areas and not others:

1. (DL, WR, QB, RB/ATH to an extent) is because we have long time coaches and recruiters who started with some of these kids (Craig, Garner, Malzahn/Lashlee)

2. (LB, OL, DBs not bad but not great) was because we lost our best recruiters in this area and it is hard to make up ground with new coaches(Steele, McGriff, Williams (promoted), Hand)

I am sure some of it was because we didnt need as many players in certain areas so we went after only the top few in the country (Davis, Warrior, Price,etc..).

As someone said we will finish in the top ten in the country, top 5 in the SEC (but guess who beat us?)...so we did well, hoped we could do great.

A few things to point out. We go after needs.

- OL we are already in good shape having signed 6 or so last year. We were only looking to sign 2 this year and we did. Plus we have the #1 OL in the country committed already for 2017.

- RB This was not a great year for RB's. Next year is supposed to have a more stacked group of RB's. We want 2 next year.

I agree with lots you said.

Best areas by far were DL and WR. Most services have these groups are being the best in the country for these areas.

Needed improvement - LB, I hope Threat can play. I like his size, but we needed more LB's. We are going to have to kill it in the LB area next year. I think we are on top of a few really good ones in the 2017 class.

gallery_46581_199_23641.png

Happened to notice this on 247. Got to give CRG, CDC and the whole coaching staff credit. Say what you want about play calling, meeting expectations etc., but you can't complain about this staff when it comes to the recruiting trail. And I would like to make one very important point: even if Gus never gets the product on the field turned around, we are lucky to have a HC that can recruit at an elite level. As long as you're bringing in top talent you have reason to be optimistic because even if you have to make a coaching change, you know the cupboard is full for the next guy. You're never more than a couple years away from competing for championships again with a good hire. So it's not poor performance on the field that you should be most afraid of, it's poor performance on the recruiting trail.That's how you find yourself in the sort of hole that can take a decade or more to climb out of.

Seems like a grand slam on defense .....and after CWM left with a good part of our staff......which brought Coach Steele as our 3rd in 3 years.....and the only common denominator in that whole circus was CRG....whom some folks have been trying to run out of town for a couple years now.

Just saying.....thank goodness he kept the faith and did the heavy lifting with all those young guys while the world was going crazy around him.

JMO but there should be a little something extra in his next paycheck.

I have a question about recruiting class rankings:

It's my understanding that a class rank is determined by the sum of the rankings of the players signed. The reason various ranking sources vary is because they assign different rankings to individual players.

It's also my understanding that certain new players - like transfers - aren't counted in the recruiting class.

If so, then the class ranking is highly sensitive to the total number of new players signed with rankings. Also, a given class ranking may not reflect the quality of the new class in total, due to transfers.

Correct?

Are we expecting anyone else ? Or are we done at 21 ?

Its my understanding we are done, with the possible exception of Davis Jr. down the road.

Are we expecting anyone else ? Or are we done at 21 ?

Its my understanding we are done, with the possible exception of Davis Jr. down the road.

Phillips, the walk on punter gets one of these also. I haven't run the numbers today, been busy elsewhere but if your 21 is correct then we are done at 22.

We crushed it in Georgia this year. Jackson, Brown, Davis are Top 5 recruits in the state. Also, Awesome DL class overall.

Yep and DC killed it in FLA.

Well, here I am again....totally confused by the numbers......after looking at the team rankings I see schools that have closed out their recruiting with anywhere from 17 to 28 signees.

I can see some variation from one year to the next but Michigan with 28 and Miss State with 17...maybe an indication of how Harbaugh has cleaned house both before and during the recruiting process.

If we're done at 21, how many EE's in 2017 can we count back to this year? And, how many can we sign next year total? And one more, how many total scholarships are we at if all these qualify?

why do the turds seem to have an in in the auburn opelika area? i just wonder why coe did not pick us first.

Are you drinking this morning? Coe is not from the Auburn/Opelika area and we were always first with him. UAT tried a late push for him that he didn't even listen to. ??????

i do not drink. i confused one cole kid with the other cole kid. the one that decommited from bama that was from opelika i believe because they wanted to gray shirt him at the last minute. that better?

why do the turds seem to have an in in the auburn opelika area? i just wonder why coe did not pick us first.

Are you drinking this morning? Coe is not from the Auburn/Opelika area and we were always first with him. UAT tried a late push for him that he didn't even listen to. ??????

i do not drink. i confused one cole kid with the other cole kid. the one that decommited from bama that was from opelika i believe because they wanted to gray shirt him at the last minute. that better?

The Cole kid that decommited from bama is from Oneonta, not Opelika. (You're still confused) :Sing:

If we're done at 21, how many EE's in 2017 can we count back to this year? And, how many can we sign next year total? And one more, how many total scholarships are we at if all these qualify?

We're probably done at 22. The punter, Phillips, is getting a scholarship that will count so he'll be #22. That would leave us with three "countback" slots for EE's next year, resulting in a total of 3+25=28 for 2017. Of course, this signing period isn't over for more than two months, so we could pick up some more before then. Not likely, but we could.

The Cole kid that decommited from bama is from Oneonta, not Opelika. (You're still confused) :Sing:

my meds have my memory messed up.some people just like being jerks i guess.

If you include Jamel Dean in these numbers, that makes 23.

Indeed it does. Then subtract T. Manning, who won't count in this year's class because of his health issue and we're back at 22. (It's been reported that the NCAA has already approved delaying his "count" year just as they did for Shaun Coleman.)

If you include Jamel Dean in these numbers, that makes 23.

Indeed it does. Then subtract T. Manning, who won't count in this year's class because of his health issue and we're back at 22. (It's been reported that the NCAA has already approved delaying his "count" year just as they did for Shaun Coleman.)

"Shaun"...... You serious Clark? (Said with a light-hearted tone.)

We absolutely raided the state of Georgia this year. Three of the top ten players in the 247 composite. Might be the best we've ever done.

Apparently UGA went shopping elsewhere this year since their class is rated above Auburn's by the "experts." Of course not all the "experts" even agree on the top class.

Archived