Guessing We Will Need....

Malcolm_FleX48

I hate to sound like Mickey Jr. on this one, but unless there are graduate transfers or some late low-star Signees, I'm guessing we'd better be looking into converting some more safeties and or DEs into LBs. Depth isn't looking too bright for a "High Casualty" position of the season. That's disconcerting....

I think we will move Holland. We have Tre who is awesome. Also the kid from hoover that redshirted last year, Cam Toney, a few others...

But yes - linebacker depth is a huge issue and has been for a long time. That is the one area that has been consistently behind in recruiting. It is what it is...

True, though at the same time, you've only got enough for about a 3 deep with not enough subs to keep that 3 deep populated and no room to redshirt. That doesn't speak good for the here and now nor the future. Start pulling DBs and they'll push back against it because they might want to remain DBs and then you won't get bigger DBs to commit because they feel like they'll be moved to LB.

Has there been any new news on this front (anyone leave, get hurt, suspended, etc.)?

Regardless, I think this is why we need to stick with a 4-2-5. <Knocks on every block of wood in the vicinity> we seem to have enough depth at the defensive line and defensive backs. Heck, I wouldn't rule out a 5-1-5 (hey it could work, right?)

Has there been any new news on this front (anyone leave, get hurt, suspended, etc.)?

Regardless, I think this is why we need to stick with a 4-2-5. <Knocks on every block of wood in the vicinity> we seem to have enough depth at the defensive line and defensive backs. Heck, I wouldn't rule out a 5-1-5 (hey it could work, right?)

Stick with a 4-2-5 and every team we play will ram it down our throats.

Stick with a 4-2-5 and every team we play will ram it down our throats.

Especially when missing a large DB to actually enforce things. Just a specialty base D, especially when you're still missing LBs if they bring in heavy packages. Teams will adjust their offense to 2-3 back multiple TE sets and dare us to beat them at the point of attack. Lose an LB and depth goes to hell so it's checkmate.

I've come to the sad conclussion that there's room for only one top shelf defense in this State, and it ain't AU. Now, if Gus can get the Bus back to scoring 50+ppg we may do better than mediocre in this conference. My hopes and dreams for a killer defense at AU are long gone.

We need to sign 4-5 LB's in the 2017 Class. A combination of JUCO (2) and High School (3) would be nice.

We need to sign 4-5 LB's in the 2017 Class. A combination of JUCO (2) and High School (3) would be nice.

A stouter defensive line might take some of the pressure off the LBs and CBs if we can find a pass rush and cut down on the gaping holes in the line.

A stouter defensive line might take some of the pressure off the LBs and CBs if we can find a pass rush and cut down on the gaping holes in the line.

Yes, you could have the best LBs in the world and they would be useless getting caught in the wash every play. Great LBs shine when the other team has to double at least 2 DL every play.

Overall great recruiting class! However, can't understand why Auburn, with a lack of depth at LB, can only sign one 3-4 star while Bama, with an abundance of depth at LB, can sign three 5 stars.

Overall great recruiting class! However, can't understand why Auburn, with a lack of depth at LB, can only sign one 3-4 star while Bama, with an abundance of depth at LB, can sign three 5 stars.

They only signed two. Missed on the Cali linebacker

FWIW, Paul James III (JUCO DE) is currently listed as a LB by the Auburn Twitter account. Link is in his thread on the Recruiting forum. He's currently 6'4" 258 lbs, so he's either going to be a hybrid player or he's going to have to lose some weight come playing time.

FWIW, Paul James III (JUCO DE) is currently listed as a LB by the Auburn Twitter account. Link is in his thread on the Recruiting forum. He's currently 6'4" 258 lbs, so he's either going to be a hybrid player or he's going to have to lose some weight come playing time.

Maybe we're going to have a buck but call him a linebacker? I know a lot of guys in the NFL play OLB in a 3-4 with jersey numbers in the 90s...

Holland might fit this role, too. And Cowart was supposed to, but he didn't look the part last year IMO.

I hate to sound like Mickey Jr. on this one, but unless there are graduate transfers or some late low-star Signees, I'm guessing we'd better be looking into converting some more safeties and or DEs into LBs. Depth isn't looking too bright for a "High Casualty" position of the season. That's disconcerting....

Maybe Stephen Davis JR. does well and signs in this class. That would make two linebackers for this class I suppose.

For some reason, Gus doesn't go after a lot of linebackers & defensive ends I guess he's never noticed much linebackers & defensive ends means to a defense.

Any "leftovers" (transfers, etc) still on the vine that could provide depth? Did that kid that refused to greyshirt at Bama sign with anyone?

Yeah. South Alabama.

Any "leftovers" (transfers, etc) still on the vine that could provide depth? Did that kid that refused to greyshirt at Bama sign with anyone?

Yeah. South Alabama.

Interesting...had a couple better offers.....but stayed close to home....still will be wearing red...guess that was important.

But now that the dust has settled from recruiting, I guess we can let the world (and young dissatisfied GradT linebackers) know via social media that we still might have a place for them....though I'm wondering if maybe we now have a full house and no room for a gradT or late Juco. ....unless it would be the slot that has Davis penciled in.

Mikey or someone....do we have room for a GradT ?

Archived