Purifoy- Finally some closure, Updated (02-16-16)

aujeff11

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta wonder what that means for next year. Too bad for him....seems he has given it a good try and I am assuming he his a full time student and trying to get his grades to a satisfactory level.

I'm wondering if this affects his standing as a student at AU...not just as regards his athletic standing.

I think at this point most folks had conceded he wouldn't be playing this year.

Like I said, closure.

No he will be fine for next year. I think PEarl mentioned today he will be a RSFR, and will be able to play, just not this year with his ACT score discrepancy...

Well, that's not too bad then if he'll be able to play next season. Getting a redshirt year under his belt will only help

Well who knows if he even stays around for next year. Worth the risk I suppose, but man we sure could have used his potential spot on another center. I hope he plays for us next year but I'm not convinced he hangs around. Figured he was done for this year once he wasn't cleared by January.

Well who knows if he even stays around for next year. Worth the risk I suppose, but man we sure could have used his potential spot on another center. I hope he plays for us next year but I'm not convinced he hangs around. Figured he was done for this year once he wasn't cleared by January.

He'd be wise to stay.

This year's draft class isn't that great but if he was really looking at a 2016 NBA Draft entry he would've been better off going overseas for a year and getting some game film against good competition then tried his hand at the draft knowing that there was a good chance he wouldn't have been eligible this year. There's no way to know what pulls his decision one way or another but if all things being equal he should stay. But, rarely are all things equal.

I'm certainly rooting for him to give us a RS-FR year next season and become a 1st rd pick! I haven't seen him play at all other than some HS highlights so IDK about his pro potential at this point but I do know every D1 basketball player looked great in their HS highlights.

All quotes from Tom Green's Twitter:

"Pearl: "On the recruiting show yesterday I probably slipped and said Purifoy would be a redshirt freshman next year."

"Bruce Pearl re: Purifoy comments yesterday: "The reality is we don't have the final word from the NCAA. We're still going through processes"

"Daniel Purifoy is up to 230 pounds now and "is physically going to be even more ready now when the time comes," Pearl says.

Pearl: "If (Purifoy) was a 4-year player where there would never be a consideration for leaving early, I absolutely wouldn't play him (now)

From @EvanMcCullers

"Pearl says there's a chance they wouldn't redshirt Purifoy if he was cleared because he is a player who could jump to pros in 2-3 years."

I don't get the whole notion that Purifoy might not play here next year. Is not like he was the #1 player in last year's class. I think the guy's gonna be very good but why would an NBA team sign an unproven guy basically out of high school?

I don't get the whole notion that Purifoy might not play here next year. Is not like he was the #1 player in last year's class. I think the guy's gonna be very good but why would an NBA team sign an unproven guy basically out of high school?

Purifoy needs at least one good year at Auburn imo.

Unfortunately for us, you don't need to show much, in terms of production, for the NBA to make you a lottery pick. Skal Labissierre hasn't been doing crap and is looked at as a lottery pick. He's like averaging 7 ppg and 2 rebounds. TWO REBOUNDS FOR A 6'11 GUY. The NBA's assessment is maybe 85% based on potential and 15% of how good they are now. If Purifoy plays one season and shows he has the basic skills that can grow into an NBA player (he's already got the body and frame) that will be enough for him to make the jump. It also depends on what the draft class looks like next season. We definitely could've used someone like Danjel guarding Ben Simmons a few days ago!

Unfortunately for us, you don't need to show much, in terms of production, for the NBA to make you a lottery pick. Skal Labissierre hasn't been doing crap and is looked at as a lottery pick. He's like averaging 7 ppg and 2 rebounds. TWO REBOUNDS FOR A 6'11 GUY. The NBA's assessment is maybe 85% based on potential and 15% of how good they are now. If Purifoy plays one season and shows he has the basic skills that can grow into an NBA player (he's already got the body and frame) that will be enough for him to make the jump. It also depends on what the draft class looks like next season. We definitely could've used someone like Danjel guarding Ben Simmons a few days ago!

Are there leagues where college players are allowed to participate during the summer. If so, no reason for DP not to give one of them a try and let the NBA see his new body and jump shot.

I mean sure, the NBA definitely does put a good bit more emphasis on raw potential than refinement, particularly for big men, but I really don't think that translates into an early departure for Purifoy. For starters, he's not some gigantic 7' can't miss physical specimen. A lot of his value does come from his skillset which obviously has yet to be put on full display. Also, I think a lot of folks seem to forget how small the NBA draft is. Only 60 players get drafted every year, and most of the bottom 30 are rarely heard from again. Purifoy would really need to be one of the best 30 NBA prospects in the country to justify bolting, and he would need, at minimum, one stellar year at Auburn for anyone to put him there.

No guarding Simmons lol

Not saying we would've stopped him at all but having another long athletic body to make him work for his buckets would've been better for us overall.

I mean sure, the NBA definitely does put a good bit more emphasis on raw potential than refinement, particularly for big men, but I really don't think that translates into an early departure for Purifoy. For starters, he's not some gigantic 7' can't miss physical specimen. A lot of his value does come from his skillset which obviously has yet to be put on full display. Also, I think a lot of folks seem to forget how small the NBA draft is. Only 60 players get drafted every year, and most of the bottom 30 are rarely heard from again. Purifoy would really need to be one of the best 30 NBA prospects in the country to justify bolting, and he would need, at minimum, one stellar year at Auburn for anyone to put him there.

I don't disagree with any of this, and I don't know how he would look in an SEC game. But I was just saying, based on what BP and others have said about his ability, that with his 1 year redshirting and then if he proves to be a big time baller in 1 season, or shows significant flashes, it could be enough based on some other factors like draft class strength etc.

I'd just like to see him suit up for us period, any length of time will do. The remainder of this year, a whole season next year, whatever. Alright, someone one with a little lead in the pants that's got some pull, make this happen. :)

I'd just like to see him suit up for us period, any length of time will do. The remainder of this year, a whole season next year, whatever. Alright, someone one with a little lead in the pants that's got some pull, make this happen. :)

What kind of pull is there that can overcome a determination of "ineligible"? It's going to be up to Purifoy himself to get academically eligible for next season, this year is out of the question unless the posts over these past few days are simply false.

No guarding Simmons lol

Not saying we would've stopped him at all but having another long athletic body to make him work for his buckets would've been better for us overall.

I understand, I'm probably the first person on here who mentioned where he actually would help us out the most on the team would be defensive versatility, went through it in detail before the season ever started. But that's mostly for guards, that's what makes Simmons so special is that you'd need power forward to guard him....he's an asterisk. Take a special forward like batum for Charlotte, or the young star that plays for Milwaukee to guard him. Probably just about 5 or 6 guys in the NBA that will be able to match up....DP would have been just as much of a mismatch. Harris was our biggest hope

Yup thats what makes Simmons so special. His level of coordination, skill, and bball IQ is very rare for someone his size

I'd just like to see him suit up for us period, any length of time will do. The remainder of this year, a whole season next year, whatever. Alright, someone one with a little lead in the pants that's got some pull, make this happen. :)/>

What kind of pull is there that can overcome a determination of "ineligible"? It's going to be up to Purifoy himself to get academically eligible for next season, this year is out of the question unless the posts over these past few days are simply false.

I hear that the REC can do anything, from putting a man on the moon to determining what color Skittles are produced. We need an AU version of that. Surely this wouldn't be a big deal for them if that's the case.

Archived