Gimel President to transfer

RunInRed

-12316b5dc7a1f16b.JPG

Auburn's depth at defensive end is set to take a hit in 2016.

Rising senior Gimel President has decided to leave the program as a graduate transfer, his family confirmed Wednesday to AL.com. He will be eligible to play one more season.

President (6-4, 263 pounds) recorded 12 tackles, including two sacks, in 10 appearances in 2015. He was the second-leading producer of sacks among defensive linemen.

President was a three-star recruit out of Mount Pleasant, South Carolina and was named to the Parade All-American team in 2012. He finishes his Auburn career with 45 tackles, including seven for losses, in 25 games. He had a career-high 30 tackles, including five for losses, in 2014.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/defensive_end_transferring_fro.html

Not that hard to understand.....yet another DC for him to adjust to....and might as well give it a try elsewhere....and get a starting job perhaps. Hope he does well.

So as a rising senior he, the coaches or both see Cowart, Kennion & co. as being immovable depth chart forces, and/or the true frosh incoming talent as trumping President's experience, and/or Lawson and/or Holland moving to full time DE from Buck and/or Lambert being the only DE sr as okay? Serious question and no, I don't see "so he can start somewhere" as the obvious single answer.

Hint: it's announced on NSD...

So as a rising senior he, the coaches or both see Cowart, Kennion & co. as being immovable depth chart forces, and/or the true frosh incoming talent as trumping President's experience, and/or Lawson and/or Holland moving to full time DE from Buck and/or Lambert being the only DE sr as okay? Serious question and no, I don't see "so he can start somewhere" as the obvious single answer.

Hint: it's announced on NSD...

Consider that we are talking about getting a gradT to fill a LB spot. President is exactly the kind of guy we will be looking for....same background, etc.

Our constant coaching turnover costs us in many ways and this one of them where a solid player...not a star...but a guy who plays in every game figures he might be better off going elsewhere than working under his 3 or 4th DC.

Good time to announce it ....let some schools know he is available .....some who might take him instead of signing a 3* or 2* DE that they are not particularly excited about.

He's getting a new DC whether he stays or leaves. :-\

Steele has frequently stated he wants to run both a 4-3 AND 3-4...with our LB crop. He's dreaming if he thinks we have LB talent/depth to bounce back & forth so part of my mystification is Gimel not seeing the reality of 2016 as shuttling lots of DE's in & out - all game, every game. He's needed IMO.

He's getting a new DC whether he stays or leaves. :-\

Steele has frequently stated he wants to run both a 4-3 AND 3-4...with our LB crop. He's dreaming if he thinks we have LB talent/depth to bounce back & forth so part of my mystification is Gimel not seeing the reality of 2016 as shuttling lots of DE's in & out - all game, every game. He's needed IMO.

New DC but perhaps considers that he would end up where his is wanted and needed....I expect he knows much more reality about where he stands at AU than we do....and probably knows what to expect if he stayed at AU next year.

Thanks for your play at Auburn. I wish you the absolute best and hope you can find a school where you can be happy.

...why now?

Well, I mean, it IS an election year.

He's got my vote. I mean, sure he doesn't meet the age qualification but then again we have a lot of candidates with questionable qualifications...

Thank you, Mr. President! I could see him at College of Charleston or East Carolina....maybe even Georgia Tech (Closer to home).

No, if he wants to play this fall. I think he can go to another conference and play right away but just not in the SEC. I think that is right.

I don't think there are restrictions.

No, if he wants to play this fall. I think he can go to another conference and play right away but just not in the SEC. I think that is right.

Theoretical it is where he would be looking for a graduate major not taught at Auburn....but could be they dropped that rule. But if he wants to get closer to Charleston ......there are several schools where he could make a difference.

President thanked Malzahn, defensive line coach Rodney Garner, athletics director Jay Jacobs and Auburn University in a letter. The family shared President's letter to AL.com.

"I would like to thank Auburn for the past four years of being a student-athlete," President wrote. "Over this time I have grown into a better young man than what I was in 2012."

"Thank you for your love and support," President continued in the letter. He signed the letter with a "War Eagle," writing it "will always be my battle cry."

Jacksonville State has shown interest in recruiting President, according to a source.

President is scheduled to graduate from Auburn in May.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/gimel_president_leaves_auburn.html

The rising senior informed Gus Malzahn of his intention to transfer last week and his family confirmed Wednesday to AL.com he had been granted a release.

The graduate transfer will be eligible to play immediately as a senior, but he will not be allowed to play for an SEC school or a non-conference team on Auburn's schedule in 2016 (Clemson, Arkansas State, ULM and Alabama A&M).

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/gimel_president_leaves_auburn.html

Archived