***2016 National Signing Day - Malzahn's Presser***

RunInRed

We do have DBs letter of intent? I thought so, but saw something about Gus waiting for his NLI.

Cliff notes ...

--Gus starts by thanking his staff for their hard work, says they put him in touch with "50 juniors" today.

-- "Our defensive line class I really believe is the best in the country. I really believe we're building the foundation for a top-10 defense." Credits defensive line coach Rodney Garner for holding the defensive recruits together amid staff turnover and bringing in new recruits as well.

-- "Our wide receiver class I believe is the top in the country." Credits Dameyune Craig.

-- Calls Marlon Davidson the "top player in the state of Alabama."

-- Cites Derrick Brown and Nate Craig-Myers as the top players in Georgia and Florida in the view of the Auburn staff

-- Malzahn recaps each of the 21 signees, more to come on all these comments.

-- Says Auburn has been recruiting QB Woody Barrett since he and his staff arrived

-- Says Marlon Character stayed loyal amid staff transition, says "those guys" - i.e. Will Muschamp and Travaris Robinson - were still recruiting Character after they left for South Carolina.

-- On this year's class: "The thing that really stand out to me is it's very talented but these are high-character young men with great families."

-- On John Franklin III: "He's going to get the chance to win the job. Our quarterback position is wide open."

-- On the incoming wide receivers: "They'll have a chance to get in the mix right off the bat."

-- Says the WR group was made up of players they wanted going back two years

-- Says support staff hires will be made starting next week

http://www.al.com/au...n_recap_11.html

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on Dameyune Craig's signing day success, wardrobe changes: 'He's got that GQ about him.'

Gus Malzahn said Cam Newton's success has helped Auburn's recruiting. 'Every quarterback wants to be the next Cam Newton.'

Gus Malzahn says signee John Franklin III will 'get a chance to win job' as starting quarterback. 'Our quarterback position is wide open.'

Auburn's Gus Malzahn happy with 'true impact players at impact positions' on signing day

Gus Malzahn said Auburn signee Tashawn Manning will beat cancer. 'We feel like it's going to be a Shon Coleman story again.'

Auburn's Gus Malzahn said his coaches 'did a wonderful job' in recruiting. 'Just this morning they had me on the phone with 50 juniors.'

'The wide receiver class is the tops in the country. Coach (Dameyune) Craig deserves a lot of credit,' says Auburn's Gus Malzahn

Auburn's Gus Malzahn: 'Defensive line class, I really believe, is best in the country. Coach Garner did a wonderful job with that group.'

@AUGoldMine

The last question was about "academic redshirt". Anyone know what the reporter was referring too. It appeared as CGM seamed a little confused on the question.

Thanks, RiR!

A few things really stood out to me:

1. Gus is thrilled with CRG and CDC, especially. He must have mentioned them by name at least 4 times each, and well he should have.

2. I was struck by how much he characterized the offensive recruits as the guys we'd been targeting all along. With the exception of OL, perhaps, it seems we got all the top guys on the board, which is remarkable.

3. Did great in Georgia and kind of rubbed that in a bit (he he).

4. With the D recruits, a couple of key words: impact & loyalty.

5. Interesting that he talked about the kids we already have on the team at LB. I look forward to seeing what TWill can do in terms of developing those guys, as well as Threat.

Overall, I'm really happy with this class. Hope we continue to do at least this well. I know some folks will look at the SEC West and say that Bama, LSU, and Ole Miss finished above us in the rankings, so this must be a bad class. I think that's wrong. It's a great class. We're just competing in the toughest division in CFB.

War Eagle!

Great class,I'm really impressed with the D signees.Coach Garner deserves a lot of credit.I would not have tought we could have finished that well on the D side of the ball after D staff turnover.Of course we did very well on Offense too.Great job Gus and all the coaches.

Great class,I'm really impressed with the D signees.Coach Garner deserves a lot of credit.I would not have tought we could have finished that well on the D side of the ball after D staff turnover.Of course we did very well on Offense too.Great job Gus and all the coaches.

Absolutely! #firecrg

Absolutely! #firecrg

Maybe the D-line he got signed today will silence the fire CRG crowd for now.

Absolutely! #firecrg

Nah, they'll distinguish between his recruiting (good) and his development (bad).

Absolutely! #firecrg

Nah, they'll distinguish between his recruiting (good) and his development (bad).

I'm not in the Fire RG crowd, but those two things should both be required and distinguished between :dunno:

I'll leave that there without comment, FE.

But one other thing that stood out in the presser was Gus's answer to the question about Herb Hand's possible influence as a former OC with Gus.

He answered about Hand's prowess as a recruiter and the role he had in getting the commitments from Sammons and Bro-ham.

Obviously, he didn't want to undermine CRL. But just as obviously, he deflected the question.

Archived