Who would you say is the dark horse or sleeper in 2016 class

doc4aday

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"3 star" Malik Miller. Word is the guy has a lights out work ethic. He's tough and has some moves too. Look for him to work his way this year (absent injury or redshirt) into the rotation in a crowded backfield already full of talent.

LOL, we seem to have a whole bunch of 'darkhorses'. Maybe the OP could define the term.

Easy. Guys who are rated lower than 4 *s. A LOT of Auburn fans still think a 3* rating is a bad thing. (Unless he bleeds O&B, in which case he's underrated and the recruiting services are stupid. But if he's on the fence about committing to us, it means he's terrible. But I digress.)

I mentioned in another thread that I'm extremely excited about this year's "supporting cast". I just keep nodding my head at every name mentioned in this thread. Hopefully I didn't jinx them all by saying that.

Off topic: I put a LOT of stock in the fact that, other than a couple very notable exceptions, Gus has been bringing in the right kind of kid since he came back. For the most part our kids are keeping their noses clean, but more than that, a lot of these dudes just seem like awesome human beings. Despite the Ws and Ls, a lot of us agree that it manifested itself on the field this year. I see that theme continuing with the new group. It's exciting for me.

"(But if he's on the fence about committing to us, it means he's terrible.)"

Yeah, not a single soul has said that. Even about Marshall. Let it go and move on.

Yeah, not a single soul has said that. Even about Marshall.

Oh.

(That's one of many examples. It's odd that people keep telling me that nobody said this or that about Marshall when so many people said this or that about Marshall.)

Edit: My bad. Wrong thread to bring it up in. But it's telling and expected that you would focus on that small part of my (typically) much longer post.

Yeah, not a single soul has said that. Even about Marshall.

Oh.

(That's one of many examples. It's odd that people keep telling me that nobody said this or that about Marshall when so many people said this or that about Marshall.)

Sour grapes because he signed elsewhere and sour grapes because he is "on the fence" are two totally different concepts.

Do you want me to list the players that were on the fence this year that eventually signed with Auburn?

I think Tre Threat is probably the most under-rated player we signed yesterday. I think he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and becomes another Daren Bates, For those who fail to remember, DB was a NSD late choice for AU. A three star out of Olive Branch, MS. Started as a freshman at DB, believe he made the SEC Freshman team. Then started the next three years at LB. Has been playing in the NFL since leaving. I am not sure we ever had a guy like him. WDE

I'm gonna go in a different direction and say Landon Rice. He's playing a position where its hard to shine, but he could bring a dimension back to this offense that has been missing for the last few years

My sleeper pick would be Prince if he played defense.. A 6'8 end would have been awesome.

Right now, I guess I'd have to go with Coe.

My sleeper pick would be Prince if he played defense.. A 6'8 end would have been awesome.

We do have a 6'8 Prince who plays defense ;)

"3 star" Malik Miller. Word is the guy has a lights out work ethic. He's tough and has some moves too. Look for him to work his way this year (absent injury or redshirt) into the rotation in a crowded backfield already full of talent.

Work ethic was what I was told by his Uncle. Said Miller plans to be in the RB (not FB) rotation this season.

After Jovon leaves, Miller has a legit chance to own the RB1 spot for 2017.

We do have a 6'8 Prince who plays defense ;)/>

Yes we do. Now imagine if we had two 6'8 princes to bookend our DL. The NCAA would make a rule against it because we would be that badass on the line.

I think Tre Threat is probably the most under-rated player we signed yesterday. I think he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and becomes another Daren Bates, For those who fail to remember, DB was a NSD late choice for AU. A three star out of Olive Branch, MS. Started as a freshman at DB, believe he made the SEC Freshman team. Then started the next three years at LB. Has been playing in the NFL since leaving. I am not sure we ever had a guy like him. WDE

Will Herring. Came in as a 3-star Athlete (#38 ranked Athlete by Rivals). Basically, that "other guy" the staff found while recruiting 4-star TJ Jackson.

Only other school that offered him was MTSU.

Started at Safety his Freshman, Soph & Junior seasons. Moved to LB in 2006.

Only 2 games he wasn't a starter...his first two games of his Freshman season.

Played 8 seasons in the League.

When he first committed I would have said Nick Coe but as the process went on it became obvious that Nick was a player so I no longer consider him a sleeper. I think there are four Thomas as a last minute add on at Safety, Miller as a hard running workhorse running back,Tre Threat as an underrated LB at a position of need, and T Manning who is only rated a 2 * and is fighting Cancer when he plays the first down for Auburn it will be huge and then he will get better and better as a player.

Will Herring. Came in as a 3-star Athlete (#38 ranked Athlete by Rivals). Basically, that "other guy" the staff found while recruiting 4-star TJ Jackson.

I thought of Will when I read this too. He was quite a ball player. Well, they both are. I'll never forget the interception Darren made his freshman year diving backwards. I don't remember who it was against but it was great.

As to the OP, I believe it is Threat also. Him and Thomas. Those two will be staples on D in a couple years.

Powers

I have known Will since he was in grade school (I am 20 years his senior). Great kid! did everything ever asked of him. Played QB and DB at Opelika, which I believe gave him the smarts to be such a strong defender (his knowledge of offense and the QB position, and ability/instinct to predict tendencies). I was once at the complex collecting bloodwork, when Will came to me and said "I gained 40 pounds!" I laughed, and said "I hope you didn't lose a step". it was 40 pounds of muscle........serious muscle. He voluntarily did this because he knew there was a need for LBs the next season. He did this for his team and their success. he easily could have had a career in the NFL as a DB, but sacrificed himself for the betterment of his team. it all seemed to pay off in the long run, but could have hurt his career. Very high character kid, and always has been. Maybe not the most athletic on the field at all times, but probably the smartest, and one hell of a leader. And if I am not mistaken, he also graduated early with a 4.0 in pre-med, for what it's worth. that's my story, or unknown brush with greatness as it was happening. I am a better person for having met and worked with him. I can only hope he feels the same way about me.

Daniel Thomas. Dude is apparently a STUD from what I've seen. Will be on a mission after AU kind of got him on back-order. Bet he starts within a few years.

Yesterday, I finally did some research on this kid and it came to me that I personally saw this kid play against my old high school team. This kid can fllllyyyyyy!!!!...not overly big, but can really run. He played both ways for his team. On one play I distinctly remember, my high school team punted to him and he made the defenders and his blockers look like they were in slow motion for a 60 yard TD. He was absolutely the fastest player I saw this year and reminded me of Champ Bailey.

Daniel Thomas. Dude is apparently a STUD from what I've seen. Will be on a mission after AU kind of got him on back-order. Bet he starts within a few years.

Yesterday, I finally did some research on this kid and it came to me that I personally saw this kid play against my old high school team. This kid can fllllyyyyyy!!!!...not overly big, but can really run. He played both ways for his team. On one play I distinctly remember, my high school team punted to him and he made the defenders and his blockers look like they were in slow motion for a 60 yard TD. He was absolutely the fastest player I saw this year and reminds me of Champ Bailey.

Work ethic was what I was told by his Uncle. Said Miller plans to be in the RB (not FB) rotation this season.

After Jovon leaves, Miller has a legit chance to own the RB1 spot for 2017.

I kind of see Miller as the type of RB in the mold of Leonard Fournette. A big bruising RB that may not have super speed, but enough speed to break through the first wave of defenders and just flat run over anyone who attempts to tackle him. I would guess his speed is around 4.55-4.6 in the forty. If he can get his speed up a bit and keep his weight in the ballpark, he has a chance to be special no doubt. I see Roc having a breakout season and getting close to a 1000 yards for 2016. I would be great is Roc and Jovon can be 1000 yards or better rushers for 2016. If we get these kind of numbers for each, we will win a lot of games; A LOT OF GAMES!!!!

Archived