Carson Griffis 2016 Walk on Athlete

Newbomb

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cough Kevin Greene

Don't forget Bobby Strickland, outstanding LB and former walkon played in 1970, thereabouts. So, kickers aside that gives AU two great walkon performers in 45 years. There are probably another couple in that interval. Be generous and call it 6 in 45 years. The chances of a walkon becoming a major contributor are quite dismal.

Still, wishing this kid all the luck. Hope he becomes another exception to the norm.

Cough Kevin Greene

Don't forget Bobby Strickland, outstanding LB and former walkon played in 1970, thereabouts. So, kickers aside that gives AU two great walkon performers in 45 years. There are probably another couple in that interval. Be generous and call it 6 in 45 years. The chances of a walkon becoming a major contributor are quite dismal.

Still, wishing this kid all the luck. Hope he becomes another exception to the norm.

If we're talking non-QBs , add Miska, Skutack and Newton.

Yeah. People should never waste time on walk-on, undersized QB. *cough* Baker Mayfield *cough*

Yep.....offers from Rice, Fla Atlantic and Wash State....medium interest, no visits....shown as NR on rivals

Gotta love a guy like this who has the confidence to make his own way with no assurances or sense of entitlement.

Cough Kevin Greene

If we're talking non-QBs , add Miska, Skutack and Newton.

Good ones! Now we're up to five in 45 years, all linebackers. Well, I think Greene played DE at Auburn. Anybody else?

I think it's nice to recognize our walk-ons. Most of these guys have turned down full scholarships at smaller NCAA or NAIA schools in order to walk-on and take a chance at Div 1 football. They're paying their own way for that opportunity.

I think it's nice to recognize our walk-ons. Most of these guys have turned down full scholarships at smaller NCAA or NAIA schools in order to walk-on and take a chance at Div 1 football. They're paying their own way for that opportunity.

Hear, hear.

Texas, Griffis is listed at 6'0" and 180 lbs. You don't think he'll be capable of putting on 25 pounds in three years of weight training? Then, he'd be about the same size as Mayfield.

I am, in no way, saying this kid is Baker Mayfield. I've never seen our new Tiger play. I'm simply saying he's not a lot smaller than Sean White or John Franklin III, and he's basically the same size Mayfield was out of high school (http://247sports.com/Player/Baker-Mayfield-20771?Institution=21248). If he can play, play him. If he isn't good enough, don't play him. I was simply saying that we shouldn't rule him out just because he's a walk-on.

Texas, Griffis is listed at 6'0" and 180 lbs. You don't think he'll be capable of putting on 25 pounds in three years of weight training? Then, he'd be about the same size as Mayfield.

I am, in no way, saying this kid is Baker Mayfield. I've never seen our new Tiger play. I'm simply saying he's not a lot smaller than Sean White or John Franklin III, and he's basically the same size Mayfield was out of high school (http://247sports.com/Player/Baker-Mayfield-20771?Institution=21248). If he can play, play him. If he isn't good enough, don't play him. I was simply saying that we shouldn't rule him out just because he's a walk-on.

If he's 6'0, great. I've seen 6'0, 5'11 and 5'10.

He's only 17 and about 2 inches shorter than his Dad in the photo on his Twitter, so he may not be through growing. I said the kid is tough and a gamer. I'm glad he's coming. Seems like I saw he threw as many ints as tds, but he does have decent speed, elusiveness and can keep a play alive-- qualities Gus needs in a QB to look like a play calling genius.

Read the Kevin Greene walkon story he originally walked on at 202 left came back 3 years later at 232. You know the rest of the story..

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/carson-griffis/q2fA1_ToEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

He punted for his HS team, too. Interesting ... could come in handy on a short yardage situation where the QB could quick punt the ball over the defense.

Here's his baseball profile:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=348283

Primarily an OF but has pitched too. Good contact hitter to all fields.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really glad that we have a guy who has experience making plays with his feet, and we can afford to hit, who can help us get ready to face teams with a dual-threat behind center. I imagine a lot of teams can't say they have that.

Kid can flat out motor. Not sure why some school did not give him a scholly. He could be on the football field sooner than we think. If he is a better BB player, then he should get some type of scholly for that maybe. What is his 40 time? I would bet under 4.5 by the looks of him just flat outrunning folks. If he had a 20-1 record at a big school, he has to be very good. I did not realize the school is Homewood in Texas, not Ala. Regardless folks, another 1-3 inches is possible, and he would be at a good height for QB....However, isn't SW barely touching 6-0? Drew Breese is 5-10.5 and I know this for a fact. My son is a huge Saints fan and has talked to Breese on different occasions and knows for a fact that Drew is at least and inch or more under 6 ft. My son is 6-4 and 205. He was an elite swimmer that had different scholly offers throughout the south and southwest. He had a bad ACL injury playing flag football of all things and decided to give up swimming due to all of the issues he had. He wound up with a full ride to Louisiana Tech and graduated with a 4.0 in Electrical Engineering along with an Economics. He got his MBA from Auburn recently and is working on his PhD. at UTSA. Got his brains from mom and not me!

Great get for sure. I see him getting a scholly a year or 2. What position does he play in BB?

Kid can flat out motor. Not sure why some school did not give him a scholly. He could be on the football field sooner than we think. If he is a better BB player, then he should get some type of scholly for that maybe. What is his 40 time? I would bet under 4.5 by the looks of him just flat outrunning folks. If he had a 20-1 record at a big school, he has to be very good. I did not realize the school is Homewood in Texas, not Ala. Regardless folks, another 1-3 inches is possible, and he would be at a good height for QB....However, isn't SW barely touching 6-0? Drew Breese is 5-10.5 and I know this for a fact. My son is a huge Saints fan and has talked to Breese on different occasions and knows for a fact that Drew is at least and inch or more under 6 ft. My son is 6-4 and 205. He was an elite swimmer that had different scholly offers throughout the south and southwest. He had a bad ACL injury playing flag football of all things and decided to give up swimming due to all of the issues he had. He wound up with a full ride to Louisiana Tech and graduated with a 4.0 in Electrical Engineering along with an Economics. He got his MBA from Auburn recently and is working on his PhD. at UTSA. Got his brains from mom and not me!

Great get for sure. I see him getting a scholly a year or 2. What position does he play in BB?

I think I saw 4.6 for his forty time-- if true, remember Cam is only 4.56 with longer legs, so that's very good speed for a QB-- the harder things to measure are his quickness and reaction time which appear to be very good.

If he's 6'0, great. I've seen 6'0, 5'11 and 5'10.

He's only 17 and about 2 inches shorter than his Dad in the photo on his Twitter, so he may not be through growing. I said the kid is tough and a gamer. I'm glad he's coming. Seems like I saw he threw as many ints as tds, but he does have decent speed, elusiveness and can keep a play alive-- qualities Gus needs in a QB to look like a play calling genius.

I like what I see and am glad he's coming to Auburn. Just one more thing on the Baker Mayfield comparison: Mayfield was a 3 star recruit. A lot of power 5 schools sign 3 star QBs. Patterson at TCU had some strong things to say about that may explain the relative dearth of offers:

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/jon-solomon/25429031/baker-mayfield-tcu-hung-me-out-to-dry-with-no-scholarship-offer

I just don't understand some posters. Here's a kid who apparently loves AU enough to walk on, go through the hell walkon's go through on the scout team, pay his own way, and yet some posters rip the kid apart because "he's only 6 ft. Only weights 180 lbs.". Come on folks. Lighten up. All schools have stories of walkon's who have become stars. AU, UA, GA. It's not like Gus just wasted a valuable scholarship on him. Apparently the coaches see something they like.

i didn't see much ripping. I am glad to have him. It is what it is. He was not heavily sought by D1. I may be wrong about his offers.

I watched him play the last 2 years as my Daughter is in Homewood's Band which is 380 members strong and expected to grow larger. Anyway, watching this young man on the field was exciting, you want Dual Threat, I think he is going to make some noise in the QB race in the future. A diamond-in-the-rough in my book. Wont be scout team long, I don't believe. Not afraid to take a big hit to complete a play. Made some of the opposing defensive players look silly. Thought for sure he would have been recruited by some decent schools, maybe he got over-looked and maybe he just knew where he wanted to be.

Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth.

I did not realize the school is Homewood in Texas, not Ala.

Doc, this kid was a Homewood Patriot. His high school is right across the street from Samford U in Birmingham. I read a great article about him in the weekly Homewood paper when I was up there visiting my daughter who is a student at Samford. I remember thinking that he sounded like someone that Auburn should be recruiting as a second QB for this class!

Somebody needs to write an article of exactly how hellish walking on can be at this level. I walked on as a kicker when my buddy Al del Greco was doing a nice job (what was I thinking) because I could kick 40 yard field goals with either foot. When the coaches learned I'd never kicked in a football game - just 1000 soccer games - I became a scout team moving tackle pad target.

Somebody needs to write an article of exactly how hellish walking on can be at this level. I walked on as a kicker when my buddy Al del Greco was doing a nice job (what was I thinking) because I could kick 40 yard field goals with either foot. When the coaches learned I'd never kicked in a football game - just 1000 soccer games - I became a scout team moving tackle pad target.

Any video of that? ;)

I've heard that about many college sports. It's OK to walk on as long as you don't think you are actually going to play in a real game.

Fine to be a practice dummy but otherwise I understand that most coaches make it a special point to disabuse any walk-on prospect of his expectation that he could beat out one of the coach's scholarship athletes.

An invited walk-on probably has a special pass from the coaches who realize that the guy might become necessary some day...... better not beat him up to badly as scout team fodder.

I'll go on record as saying he never plays a snap unless it's special teams. Not saying he's not good enough. I think he is. But no walk-on has played significant minutes in years (many years) any position here. (except kicker of course). Different era. Doesn't happen now at Auburn. We've had many QB's over the years similar size, maybe less skilled than Griffis that played well. Schollie QB's like Traylor, Trotman, Philip Gargis, Randy Campbell, and others come to mind, but again different eras. Gus has shown that he can recruit one or two (or more if we had room) 4* QB's every year. Problem has been to sign the right one(s). Realistically no Walk on is going to have a chance to play QB (except maybe scout team) because coaching and developing time must be spent on our investment.

I'll go on record as saying he never plays a snap unless it's special teams. Not saying he's not good enough. I think he is. But no walk-on has played significant minutes in years (many years) any position here. (except kicker of course). Different era. Doesn't happen now at Auburn. We've had many QB's over the years similar size, maybe less skilled than Griffis that played well. Schollie QB's like Traylor, Trotman, Philip Gargis, Randy Campbell, and others come to mind, but again different eras. Gus has shown that he can recruit one or two (or more if we had room) 4* QB's every year. Problem has been to sign the right one(s). Realistically no Walk on is going to have a chance to play QB (except maybe scout team) because coaching and developing time must be spent on our investment.

Not true. Rod Smith, Trent Fisher, Rod Hood, Jeremy Ingle, Alex Lincoln, Willie Whitehead, in addition to those already mentioned from earlier days. Granted, the only QB walk on I can remember getting meaningful snaps was Mike Mann in the early 80s, and playing QB at this level as a walk-on is a steep climb, but who knows? If Gus is now committed to DT QB's and we get some injuries, a al Ohio State, it could happen. There have been years we have gone through a lot of QBs looking for a spark.

Archived