Bill is Introduced to Make Women Register for the Draft

aujeff11

I do not want the women in my life in the military, in any form or fashion.

Well they already are. Have been in for years.

I'm on the fence about this and for purely selfish reasons. As the father of 3 little girls I don't want them drafted. I know I would feel differently about this were they boys. I get the equality thing though. If women are going to be able to fight in the front lines and hold every position in the armed forces as men, they should have to register with Selective Service.

I was happy to register and wanted to serve but medical conditions kept me out of the military. If my daughters grow up and want to serve in all for it. I just don't want them drafted (should the need ever arise again) if they don't choose to join the military.

I was happy to register and wanted to serve but medical conditions kept me out of the military. If my daughters grow up and want to serve in all for it. I just don't want them drafted (should the need ever arise again) if they don't choose to join the military.

It's not like I wanted to register with Selective Service. Equality...it's a b*tch, ain't it.

Wow. I didn't realize we still registered for a draft. The volunteer service appears to be working very well. Heck most branches turn down more than they accept. This appears to be a bill to make a political point. Great for discussion and I suspect it was the reason for even proposing it.

Actually, given that almost every job (if not all) in the military is now open to males AND females, I'm a little surprised someone (a man or a woman) hasn't already sued in Federal court to demand equal rights/treatment as far as draft registration. There's really no good reason to eliminate half of the population from mandatory military service. Having this bill originate in Congress should at least help mollify those who scream about 'activist' judges legislating.

As Tex4Aub said: It's hard to imagine a crisis so grave we actually need to draft people. But in such a calamity, every gender should do its part.

No one wants to send his/her daughter off to war. But then, very few want to see their sons become cannon fodder either. Women have been part of combat since war was invented, but modern technology has made it possible for persons of lessor size, speed, or strength to contribute on a nearly equal basis. Even those who still see warfare in terms of hand-to-hand personal combat 'in the trenches' and consider women inferior for such duels should recognize that every woman in a non-combat role frees up one more man for those trenches. (And I'm pretty sure a target isn't much concerned about the gender of the person pulling the trigger.)

I don't like it. I have no rational reason other than I'm a traditionalist and I have daughters. I don't apologize for it, but don't plan on changing my mind either.

I don't like it. I have no rational reason other than I'm a traditionalist and I have daughters. I don't apologize for it, but don't plan on changing my mind either.

I told my wife about this introduced bill. I jokingly told her that if she gets drafted, our 21 month old and two WEEK old is going with her. She has the abilities to soothe and nurture our two daughters that I will never have. I generally don't like the idea of ripping mothers away from theIr children. I would make that a key exception to the draft.

I totally get and respect the feelings of those who would worry about their daughters being drafted and sent to war. They have nothing to apologize for.

But I also understand the feelings of someone who might say "Why should your daughter get to stay home while my son is sent off to die?".

Bottom line: No one wants their child to have to go to war. No one should want ANYONE to have to go to war.

But it's sometimes necessary. And in a crisis of such magnitude as to require compulsory military service, it doesn't make much sense to me to handicap our nation by saying only 1/2 of the population will be called upon to fight.

I told my wife about this introduced bill. I jokingly told her that if she gets drafted, our 21 month old and two WEEK old is going with her. She has the abilities to soothe and nurture our two daughters that I will never have. I generally don't like the idea of ripping mothers away from theIr children. I would make that a key exception to the draft.

That's funny even if extremely hypothetical. ;D

Registering women for the draft is all form and no substance. Currently, our military is operating on an all voluntary basis. I dont see where liking this or hating it changes the fact that they'll never get drafted anyway...so whats the point?

I don't really have a big problem with it, and I'm a woman. Now that combat is open for women, I think it makes sense to now have to have them registered.

Slightly off topic, and I know I am in the minority, but I frankly wish we would use the draft more or have mandatory military service for all. Right now we have a very small percentage of our population that is forced to deal with the reality of war. I think many in this country take advantage of our volunteer military and have no problems sending other people's children off to die in decades long conflicts. I think that the burden should be more equally spread out if it is a cause our nation cares that strongly about.

I don't really have a big problem with it, and I'm a woman. Now that combat is open for women, I think it makes sense to now have to have them registered.

Slightly off topic, and I know I am in the minority, but I frankly wish we would use the draft more or have mandatory military service for all. Right now we have a very small percentage of our population that is forced to deal with the reality of war. I think many in this country take advantage of our volunteer military and have no problems sending other people's children off to die in decades long conflicts. I think that the burden should be more equally spread out if it is a cause our nation cares that strongly about.

You mean the American tradition of demonstrating bravery while being out of range.

http://youtu.be/23BfprVu8mQ

I disagree with women being in combat arms period. But if they want equality, they can't also ask for special treatment. Honestly, idk where this push for women being on an equal playing field in the military came from. Most women I know disagree completely with women being in the military. Where's the push for women playoff SEC football?

evidently you are ok with fathers being ripped away? Since combat positions are being opened up, I like the idea for the registration of women. I think it will bring the issues to light and the populace can have an open discussion of opening up combat roles and since that is in our future then I believe that women should also have to register. I don't think it is fair for my sons having to register but women don't have too (given what I have said, I am on serving in my 28th year and my oldest is a combat medic in the guard). I was around during the time that women were to fly combat air off of carriers and saw how that unfolded and there was pressure to lower some standards which have since been worked through. So if we want true equality then have women sign up the same as men and if we are to put women in combat roles i.e. infantry then we should have equal standards of qualifying for that position. because if we lower standards then we jeopardize missions and people. War isn't some game with a reset button as much as some think that what our military does means that most women can fill that same job...not all men and / or women can do that job...

The volunteer service seems to be providing higher quality service personnel throughout the ranks. If the selective service draft becomes an issue, women being a part of the process will not be our biggest worry.

I disagree with women being in combat arms period. But if they want equality, they can't also ask for special treatment. Honestly, idk where this push for women being on an equal playing field in the military came from. Most women I know disagree completely with women being in the military. Where's the push for women playoff SEC football?

Barbra Boxer and Diane Feinstein were big pushers of this in the 90's, thus getting women to be able to fly combat jets...

Archived