Great story on Cam

Eagle Eye 7

http://www.cbsnews.c...ack-cam-newton/

WDE CAM NEWTON. #1

Sorry for the spelling on "better". Saw it after posting but could not seem to change it.

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton's favorite athletes

jbcamnewtongrab2.jpg

CBS

This Sunday is Super Bowl 50. Since it's likely to be an historic matchup of matchless quarterbacks, CBS special correspondent and Super Bowl pregame host James Brown sat down with Panthers quarterback Cam Newton for an interview on "60 minutes sports."

JAMES BROWN: Other North Carolina athletes that-- you have a relationship with, those with North Carolina roots. Michael Jordan.

CAM NEWTON: Right.

BROWN: Stephen Curry.

NEWTON: Right.

BROWN: And others like LeBron James. What one somethin' did you take away from those relationships, those games?

NEWTON: Their professionalism. Here I am, I'm in awe every single time I see -- Michael Jordan. And, you know, Steph Curry's a person that has really embarked upon elite status in NBA history. And I'm not too proud to ask, from LeBron to, you know, Michael Jordan, to Steph Curry or even yourself that I need help. You know what I'm sayin'? I'm not perfect. Anything that you could tell me, anything that anyone else could tell me that may help me in my growth, I wanted to hear it. You know, I think people reach a height in their lives that they realize that 'oh, I'm successful. Oh, I'm this, I'm that.' And I've gotten here because of the things that I've done. But to me, it's complete opposite. I wouldn't be here in this situation today without the help of so many different people. From coaches, from parents, from resilient friends, to people that have helped me along the way that I may have even forgot, but I thank God for them bein' in my life, because I'm here right now.

BROWN: Dave Gettleman said when they signed you to that contract it's because they thought you could get them to the promised land. You're like Moses now. You're at the doorstep. Will you be Joshua to take them into the promised land, is the question.

NEWTON: I'm hoping. I'm hoping. I can't promise anything, but I can tell you this: I'm going to be a person that's out there on Super Bowl Sunday prepared and living the dream.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cam needs all the good publicity he can get right now. The "haters" are out in full force lately. Mid season everyone loved him, now that he's beaten everyone and playing in the Super Bowl, he's become a "thug" and "arrogant".

I saw a video of Gronkowski giving a female reporter a lap dance today. No one bats an eye, "just Gronk being Gronk". Had it been Cam, the amount of negativity would have been astronomical.

The double standard, which I usually chalk up to people being melodramatic, is becoming very real.

Cam needs all the good publicity he can get right now. The "haters" are out in full force lately. Mid season everyone loved him, now that he's beaten everyone and playing in the Super Bowl, he's become a "thug" and "arrogant".

I saw a video of Gronkowski giving a female reporter a lap dance today. No one bats an eye, "just Gronk being Gronk". Had it been Cam, the amount of negativity would have been astronomical.

The double standard, which I usually chalk up to people being melodramatic, is becoming very real.

The language that I've seen in the articles about Manziel has been very telling, also. It seems he's a victim of circumstance and we all need to figure out how to help him so that his troubles don't cost him his career. His dad even voiced concerns about what might happen if "they can't get him some help".

But Cam bought a stolen laptop 7 or 8 years ago and has only disingenuously done a bit of charity work and given a couple footballs away since, soooo...

Man...everybody loved Cam (as the media loves to prop up dominant athletes) right up until the $180k BS came out. Then that changed everything. He became a polarizing figure at that exact moment IMO. And people still hold on to that resentment 6 years after that was proven false. What's funny to me now though is that the "athletes should get some sort of compensation for the millions they are bringing into the school" school of thought has gained lots of steam and yet, people still try to rail on Cam.

Man...everybody loved Cam (as the media loves to prop up dominant athletes) right up until the $180k BS came out. Then that changed everything. He became a polarizing figure at that exact moment IMO. And people still hold on to that resentment 6 years after that was proven false. What's funny to me now though is that the "athletes should get some sort of compensation for the millions they are bringing into the school" school of thought has gained lots of steam and yet, people still try to rail on Cam.

Don't forget, he went to Auburn and the sports media is primarily bama faithful. You aren't going to see full love for Cam until that changes. Just like how they posted a picture of him in his Florida uniform as an example of him in college. The bama grad media will do whatever they can to erase anything positive that Auburn has accomplished.

He's a great athlete having a great year. Not sure I understand the need the current culture seems to have with wanting to proclaim "the greatest". I am certain Cam is doing great things for Auburn, but guys like Pat Sullivan, Frank Thomas or Tim Hudson certainly come to my mind when I think of outstanding representatives for Auburn University. What about Dameyune Craig who is molding what it is to live Auburn into twenty-somethings every day. Cam's a baller and seems to be a pretty good dude, especially in light of his Heisman Trophy winning QB contemporaries. None better? I'll give that a few years.

Here's another one. Lots of really interesting stuff, not the least of which is Cecil confirming what I've thought all along: he fell on the sword. All he admitted to the NCAA was basically, "Yeah, I talked to Kenny Rogers." That's the narrative that was allowed to become "Cecil Newton shopped his son." I don't know how they can stand it.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-house-that-built-cam

Here's another one. Lots of really interesting stuff, not the least of which is Cecil confirming what I've thought all along: he fell on the sword. All he admitted to the NCAA was basically, "Yeah, I talked to Kenny Rogers." That's the narrative that was allowed to become "Cecil Newton shopped his son." I don't know how they can stand it.

https://sports.vice....-that-built-cam

Cool read, thanks for sharing.

The thing I always think about with Cam is how he joins Bo and Barkley in a trio of three of the most transformative athletes ever. Add in "the Big Hurt" Frank Thomas and its a bunch of nickname or one name guys that the whole country knows and who are always out there repping Auburn. We have been blessed to see some truly awesome ballplayers as Auburn fans. Look forward to the next one.

I surely did not mean to Imply that Cam was better than Bo, Pat or many others that have came from Auburn. But too take all the crap that is handed out to him and still do things right is a lot about what AU is. I can't think of any others that have had the whole world of media clowns attack their ability, intelligence and even their family as Cam has had to endure. Most of it is because he kicked the great lil nicks rear and the updykes will never get over it. They will be thinking about him in their nightmares the rest of their lives. WDE CAM.

This was excellent.

It should called "the house that built Cam"

Great story. Incredibly human. Cecil went through hell. Glad to have him in the family

Well, all of this got washed away quickly. Back to being the hated. Too bad for him.

Yep. Gave 'em what they wanted. It's a shame. Amazing guy but I'm not sure people will ever get over their hangups and realize it.

Cam had an AUsome year and I'm very proud of him. I realize the chances are very slim, I'd really wish there was a way to meet Cam in person.

He's still a class act. Could care less what anyone else thinks....they hated him regardless.

He's still a class act. Could care less what anyone else thinks....they hated him regardless.

Don't know who the "they" is...but if you have a kid and he screws up, you don't love him less....but you can't just act like it didn't happen either. It's not a matter of hate....in this case it was a matter of doing his job....which was to represent himself and the team in a difficult situation.... and do it like a professional.

If he is going to do his job as a team leader, he's gotta handle stuff like this in a better way. Surely you can't disagree with that.

Don't know who the "they" is...but if you have a kid and he screws up, you don't love him less....but you can't just act like it didn't happen either. It's not a matter of hate....in this case it was a matter of doing his job....which was to represent himself and the team in a difficult situation.... and do it like a professional.

If he is going to do his job as a team leader, he's gotta handle stuff like this in a better way. Surely you can't disagree with that.

If you were an Auburn fan in 2010 or have followed the Carolina Panthers at all the last 5 years, then you should know that Cam Newton is one of the greatest team leaders in the game today. Don't project your opinions on to the people who he just carried to a Super Bowl.

Yup.

He deserves criticism for what happened last night. He acted like a petilent child who had his toys taken away. I love Cam and understand he is a very emotional player, but you can't dance and "dab" all over the field, take selfies on the sideline DURING games that you are winning, then act like THAT when you get your ass kicked. The questions the media were asking weren't unfair at all. He's a team captain. He's the MVP. He's got to be better than that. Cam should go on YouTube and watch Russell Wilson's presser from last year.

Archived