Musicians thread

We seem to have several musicians on this forum. This is the place to discuss everything involved in playing music-- gear, song selection, techniques, new ideas, questions, advice, etc.

I'll start by listing my gear.

Fender Strat (early 2000 mexistrat)

2ue09j6.jpg

Seagull Entourage Rustic (love this guitar)

b67zuq.jpg

John Leies & Son Chicago Cabinet Grand (1918)

md1u7d.jpg

1fvc6v.jpg

Pedals

Digitech RP300A , Boss Distortion, Boss Compression

30maj9v.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play a little of everything. The Mustang is my dad's that he used in his band in the late 60's. He was the rhythm guitar in his band, but he would take lead on "House of the Rising Sun". It's kind of funny, but that guitar was at my grandparents house for 30 years and we found it in their garage when they moved in 2001. It was in bad shape but we took it to a music store and had them clean it up. As we walked out of the store with it, we were offered $3K for it. My dad would have killed us if we sold it. Everything is original on it.

Now this is what I am talking about! You have some super instruments my friend. I am a bass player of 45 years and would love to get in a band again one day.

I will try to send some pics of my gear. I have a 2006 Music Man Sterling 4 string bass made in the USA. I bought it a few years back in that I have wanted one of these for years. I had some Fender basses over the years, and they were nice no doubt. The Music Man has a sound that I had looked for years. Dual kicker pickups that give the active electronics a bright but deep sound with the special strings I had put on it that set me back some $$$, but was worth it (Thomasstic I think this is the spelling) My best friend when I first started playing in a band had a Mustang with the racing stripes on it. I offered to buy it way back in the day (1970) for $300.00 and he turned me down. He needed the money bad, but would not sell it. I loaned him some $$$ though.

I have a 200 watt GK Bass amp that has the best Emminence speaker out their with a Piazo tweeter. I have had amps with more wattage that does not come close to the sound I get with my amp. I bought it for a cheap price and juiced it up. Do you live in North Carolina? If so, maybe we can get together one day.

Take Care!

Doc

Can't speak for SG, but I'm in Bham.

I've played for years, but never an official band. I travel a bit for work and never felt comfortable having others rely on me when I may not show up. I have played along with some great musicians though. Have a friend I used to work with (lives in Mississippi and also travels for work) that is good enough to make it big. His dad used to play with Ted Nugent and other similar musicians. I still talk to him weekly.

I mostly play blues and rock. I'm a big fan of Warren Haynes, SRV, Allman Bros, Hendrix, Buddy Guy etc. my go to is minor blues, but I love also dabbling in major pentatonic rock and blending the two.

I'm in B'ham also. I love the Black Crowes. Old Crow Medicine Show is another favy. But then I bust out the SG and go all AC/DC. I don't discriminate. I also have a Washburn acoustic and for the money, it has the deepest country sound that you could ask for.

My brother played bass in a local B'ham alt/rock band for a few years in the mid 2000's.

I'm in B'ham also. I love the Black Crowes. Old Crow Medicine Show is another favy. But then I bust out the SG and go all AC/DC. I don't discriminate. I also have a Washburn acoustic and for the money, it has the deepest country sound that you could ask for.

My brother played bass in a local B'ham alt/rock band for a few years in the mid 2000's.

I also enjoy the Black Crowes but it seems they play in alternate tuning a lot so unless I just happen to be tuned open D or E, I don't find myself playing much of them. More of my song list includes Ozzy (Mama I'm coming home and Road to Nowhere), Drivin N Cryin (Honeysuckle Blue and Straight to Hell) Pearl Jam (Yellow Ledbetter) Guns n Roses (patience and Knockin on Heavens Door), Zakk Wylde (Spoke in the Wheel) and then some older ones like Otis Redding (I've got Dreams), the Eagles (Hotel California and Wasted Time), Marshall Tucker (Can't you See), Blackfoot (Diary of a Working Man), Neil Young (Cortez the Killer), Allman Brother (Soulshine and Sweet Melissa) and The Band (The Weight). There are many others as well, those are my most commonly played.

You guitar enthusiast might enjoy. Essential Steve Morse. A review of equipment and some lessons to boot.

You're right. You have to be willing to re-tune if you want to play Black Crowes. "Twice as Hard" is in open G and uses a slide. Cool song though and very easy to play. "She Talks to Angels" in open E. Awesome song.

Acoustic version of "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots is also a "go to". RIP Scott Weiland.

I play a little of everything. The Mustang is my dad's that he used in his band in the late 60's. He was the rhythm guitar in his band, but he would take lead on "House of the Rising Sun". It's kind of funny, but that guitar was at my grandparents house for 30 years and we found it in their garage when they moved in 2001. It was in bad shape but we took it to a music store and had them clean it up. As we walked out of the store with it, we were offered $3K for it. My dad would have killed us if we sold it. Everything is original on it.

Well, I will ask, did your Dad play with The Animals?

I have been in the beginning stages of learning to play guitar for the last two years. Luckily, my youngest son is now pushing me to keep it up because he wants to learn as well. I have a starter acoustic Fender CD 60 and a Fender(mim) Strat Roadhouse Deluxe in sonic blue.

I am pounding away. Don't know much yet other than some basic chords. Gotta start somewhere though.

I have been in the beginning stages of learning to play guitar for the last two years. Luckily, my youngest son is now pushing me to keep it up because he wants to learn as well. I have a starter acoustic Fender CD 60 and a Fender(mim) Strat Roadhouse Deluxe in sonic blue.

I am pounding away. Don't know much yet other than some basic chords. Gotta start somewhere though.

It may sound silly, but YOUTUBE!! You can learn a TON about guitar on YouTube. Start with learning chord shapes...E, A and D are the most helpful as they can moved up the neck to make different chords using he same basic shapes. Obviously G and C are required for a lot of songs as well, but don't get used in other places as often. Once you get A-G down, learn how to make them minor chords. Then how to move them up the neck. Once you've mastered that, learn a scale. For blues/rock learn the Minor Pentatonic....for rock/country learn the Major/Major Pentstonic. The sky is the limit. Feel free to ask any questions. I really enjoy helping new players progress. I still remember when I was learning with no help. Much tougher alone :)

It may sound silly, but YOUTUBE!! You can learn a TON about guitar on YouTube. Start with learning chord shapes...E, A and D are the most helpful as they can moved up the neck to make different chords using he same basic shapes. Obviously G and C are required for a lot of songs as well, but don't get used in other places as often. Once you get A-G down, learn how to make them minor chords. Then how to move them up the neck. Once you've mastered that, learn a scale. For blues/rock learn the Minor Pentatonic....for rock/country learn the Major/Major Pentstonic. The sky is the limit. Feel free to ask any questions. I really enjoy helping new players progress. I still remember when I was learning with no help. Much tougher alone :)/>

Thanks for the advice! I'll take all that I can get. I've got E,A,C,D and G down. I have a nice cd set from Gibson that I am following now (Learn and Master guitar) so that we have a bit of "structure" to go by. I am getting a bit itchy to learn some songs though. I want to play some songs.

Really, I'll take any advice given.

It may sound silly, but YOUTUBE!! You can learn a TON about guitar on YouTube. Start with learning chord shapes...E, A and D are the most helpful as they can moved up the neck to make different chords using he same basic shapes. Obviously G and C are required for a lot of songs as well, but don't get used in other places as often. Once you get A-G down, learn how to make them minor chords. Then how to move them up the neck. Once you've mastered that, learn a scale. For blues/rock learn the Minor Pentatonic....for rock/country learn the Major/Major Pentstonic. The sky is the limit. Feel free to ask any questions. I really enjoy helping new players progress. I still remember when I was learning with no help. Much tougher alone :)/>

Thanks for the advice! I'll take all that I can get. I've got E,A,C,D and G down. I have a nice cd set from Gibson that I am following now (Learn and Master guitar) so that we have a bit of "structure" to go by. I am getting a bit itchy to learn some songs though. I want to play some songs.

Really, I'll take any advice given.

Learn to do the E chord with your middle ring and pinkie fingers leaving your pointer finger open. Also practice barring with your pointer finger (using 1 finger to press all the strings on the same fret). When you can do both, move the E up 1 fret (to the 2cnd and 3rd) and barre the 1st fret with your first finger. There you have F.

While practicing this, make the chords and pluck each string in the chord separately. That's how you can tell if you are doing it right. If a string sounds muted, you're likely not pushing the string all the way to the fret board. Work on those til you get each string sounding right.

As far as songs, there are a TON of G C D songs or similar. What music do you like? I can likely recommend some easy ones.

You guitar enthusiast might enjoy. Essential Steve Morse. A review of equipment and some lessons to boot.

A fellow Dixie Dregs fan?

Indeed. They were awesome.

Learn to do the E chord with your middle ring and pinkie fingers leaving your pointer finger open. Also practice barring with your pointer finger (using 1 finger to press all the strings on the same fret). When you can do both, move the E up 1 fret (to the 2cnd and 3rd) and barre the 1st fret with your first finger. There you have F.

While practicing this, make the chords and pluck each string in the chord separately. That's how you can tell if you are doing it right. If a string sounds muted, you're likely not pushing the string all the way to the fret board. Work on those til you get each string sounding right.

As far as songs, there are a TON of G C D songs or similar. What music do you like? I can likely recommend some easy ones.

See, that's the kind of stuff I need advice on.

I am all over the map on my musical tastes. Seriously. From "classic" rock to metal to grunge to pop to old school country to blues. Just about the only thing I don't listen to is the newer "country" radio. My favorites? STP, PJ, Sturgill, just getting into some Muddy Waters too.

Here ya go. Learn these versions of G and C, mix with D and you have a bunch of easy songs.

1113sjo.png

fjfbrl.png

In these chords variations, your ring finger stays in the same place for all chords. Use it as your "anchor" and leave it down. To change from G to C or C to G, just move your first and second finger. Get G C D down and your off and running.

If you like any old school country song, most are played in GDC. Some Pearl Jam and STP also. AC/DC even has those roots on "You Shook Me All Night Long". "Wagon Wheel" is also GDC with an E minor stuck in there.

Archived