2016 Grad Transfer LB T.J. Neal (AU commit 2/16/16)

meh130

Linebacker T.J. Neal to transfer from Illinois

usa-today-8795537.0.jpg

Illinois starting linebacker T.J. Neal will skip his final year of eligibility and transfer to another school, coach Bill Cubit said Tuesday morning.

“He’s graduating, and he was talking about playing closer to home,” Cubit said. “That’s what he’s going to do. He’s a good kid, and I respect his feelings about what he wants to do. I wish him all the luck.”

Neal, a 6-foot-1, 235-pounder, came to Illinois in 2012 after a standout career at McKeesport (Pa.) High School. He redshirted his first season, then played in all 12 games in 2013, making 38 tackles. In 2014, he had 98 tackles to rank 18th in the Big Ten.

As a junior, Neal finished second on the team in tackles with 109 and fifth in the Big Ten.

Only Clayton Fejedelem (140) had more tackles among the Illini, with Neal’s 14 tackles for loss ranking second on the team.

Had he decided to stay at Illinois, Neal would have had an important role with the team. After all, he started every game for the Illini the last two seasons at middle linebacker and leaves Illinois with 245 career tackles.

“He’s a good football player,” Cubit said. “Family is first. I understand.”

Neal, who has a 4-month-old daughter, posted a brief statement on his Twitter account Tuesday afternoon announcing his transfer.

“It has been a blessing to call the University of Illinois my home for the last year (four) years,” Neal wrote. “Thank you to Coach Tim Beckman and the Illinois football program for allowing me to be a part of this prestigious football program. I met a lot of great people and men that will be a part of my life forever. But I have made the decision to continue and finish my college football career elsewhere. I will be transferring to play my (fifth) year of eligibility at another university. This was not an easy decision, but it is God’s plan for me.”

Cubit said he likes the rule that allows graduating players the opportunity to transfer without sitting out a year.

“I think it’s good, Cubit said.

Neal talked to the coaches about transferring “in the last three or four days.”

Cubit said he doesn’t know where Neal will play in 2016.

“I told him I’d help him,” Cubit said. “It’s a player decision, and we’ll move on.”

Neal didn’t like a plan at Illinois to move him outside in 2016, so he decided to take the graduate transfer route.

One of Neal’s friends —Brennan Marion — played receiver for Gus Malzahn at Tulsa. Marion reached out to Malzahn and the Tigers, who liked Neal’s film. That got the proverbial ball rolling.

Neal already knows one Tigers player well. Auburn 2016 signee Paul James, a defensive end from Copiah-Lincoln Community College, was a teammate of Neal at Illinois in 2013 and 2014.

http://auburn.247spo...fer-LB-43733646

"I was in a dream when I was touring the campus and they were saying all the stuff they said about Cam Newton and all the great players that came through here," Neal told AL.com. "You hear about it, but to see it was different. To see how they actually treat the players and talk among each other, it's a different culture. It really meant a lot."

Neal had breakfast with the entire defensive staff and former Auburn coach Pat Dye. Dye spoke highly of the Tigers, of course, and the need to get back to a top-10 defense.

No promises were made, but Neal expects to play immediately and potentially start at middle linebacker.

"I've got to come in and do my part, be in shape, make plays and do what I've been doing that made me so successful," Neal said. "I did my research and there's no one on that depth chart or roster who has the experience and credentials I have. They want me to be the quarterback of the defense."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/02/grad_transfer_tj_neal_wants_to_be_quarterback_of_defense.html

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After all the talk on this site about how few grad transfers there were from linebacker position this came up really fast! That's college football for you!

Great if he decides to come to AU

Please. Please. Please

Article says he's blocked from transferring to any school on Illinois' 2016 schedule so that should help in preventing a Big10 transfer. I know circumstances were different but didn't Prosch come from Illinois too? Would it be against any of the transfer rules to try and get Jay on the phone with TJ?

Also here's the article from 247

Meets all the criteria:

1) solid playing time and experience

2) school with coaching issues ...players bailing out.

3) Looking for a place where he would have a very high probability of starting.

....ding, ding, ding....all the boxes checked.

Sign him up :thumbsup:

He would love playing in the SEC for a season. If he has any NFL aspirations, Auburn would be a great place!

" IIlinois transfer LB visiting Auburn, 'good chance' he becomes a Tiger "

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

2-6-16

"I really like the thought of going to Auburn," Neal said. "That's why I can't wait to get down there. I'm so excited to get down there and visit, get around everyone and get a feel for it.

"If Auburn offers, there's a good chance I'll go there and play football for the Tigers."

https://auburn.n.riv...becomes-a-tiger

He states not happy with the new staff at IL wanting to move his outside from inside LB. Do we have a true LB position in CKS's defense?

To the best of my knowledge both the inside guys in a 4-2-5 are true backers. The "Star" from the 5DBs may be rolled down as another LB in heavier formations (Justin Garrett was who the coaches always touted for this role), but he'd immediately go to the SAM/OLB role leaving the "Mike" and "Will" guys inside. I believe Tre Williams played both the M and W spots last year, so if Neal comes in he could theoretically fill into either of those

Archived