Canty suspended indefinitely

WarTiger

And it may extend past this game today...

Canty suspended for UGA, possibly longer

AUBURN | Kareem Canty, the Tigers' starting point guard and leading scorer, has been suspended for Auburn's game at Georgia today.

Sources have told AuburnSports.com that the mercurial junior got into a verbal altercation Thursday afternoon with a member of the coaching staff and was asked to leave the practice area. Coach Bruce Pearl later elected to remove Canty from the lineup altogether for today's game in Athens, though the suspension may extend much longer.

Canty has started all 21 games this season and averages 18.3 points, 5.3 assists and three rebounds per game. He also leads the team in percentage of minutes played (85.4) and ranks among national leaders in that category.

The Harlem, N.Y., native has been slumping lately. Canty is 5-of-34 from long range during the Tigers' past four games, all of which ended in an Auburn loss.

Pearl doesn't have another scholarship point guard on the roster. He'll likely go with a platoon of Patrick Keim and Zach Allison, a pair of walk-ons, to administrate things on the scoring end. Freshman New Williams, who signed as a point guard but has been working at shooting guard this season, may be able to provide some assistance the point as well.

The Tigers' game at UGA tips at 4:30 CST and will be televised by the SEC Network.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp this season is done. Think we've known that for a few weeks. Ton of talent on this team but nobody buys in to the same common goal. Hate it that we had a rough season in football and had to deal with all the duke stuff then basically deal with the same crap in basketball when so many people were excited for it this year.

WTF.....the whole team is a basket case.....don't think I've ever seen so much public disrespect shown a coaching staff.

LOL Bowers is running the point today. This is going to be hilarious

Don't know why you think it will be funny.

I can either cry or laugh. Its a game, man.

If he plays it straight he could be OK...just needs to play under control and not go wild because he has the ball in his hands all the time.

Really stinks. Season is in the tank.

Good for Pearl for taking a stand. This is what happens when you have to try to piece together talent as best you can when the cupboard is bare. I hope our commits stay with us-- if so, we'll eventually get there.

Don't understand not seeing Allison on the floor yet.

Does this go under the snake bit category or is it attributed to character issues?

If it follows the SOP for the last 10+ years, he transfers and goes on to have an immensely successful NBA career. And we are left to shake our heads.

Surely he will grow from this and CBP can get the ball rolling next year.

I am frightened by the thought of CBP being blamed for this season. I hope he doesn't see how snakebit AU basketball is and sticks it out with us.

Does this go under the snake bit category or is it attributed to character issues?

If it follows the SOP for the last 10+ years, he transfers and goes on to have an immensely successful NBA career. And we are left to shake our heads.

I am frightened by the thought of CBP being blamed for this season. I hope he doesn't see how snakebit AU basketball is and sticks it out with us.

100X more likely to leave on his own than be run off. He's a bargain for AU basketball. It's the same product but AU can now charge $45 for seat and sell them.

100X more likely to leave on his own than be run off. He's a bargain for AU basketball. It's the same product but AU can now charge $45 for seat and sell them.

That's what I'm afraid of.

That's what I'm afraid of.

I think he doesn't want to walk away defeated, as long as he gets support.

football season can't come fast enough.........................................................

Lets just enjoy baseball and deal with the stress bomb that is Auburn football when that gets here Lol.

football season can't come fast enough.........................................................

Lets just enjoy baseball and deal with the stress bomb that is Auburn football when that gets here Lol.

Now there's a plan I can latch onto. Baseball should be something to cheer about.

WTF.....the whole team is a basket case.....don't think I've ever seen so much public disrespect shown a coaching staff.

^^^ This. If there has ever been a definition of losing a team, this staff has done it. We are officially done for the year. If things don't drastically change, next year won't be any better. Something is wrong here.

Now there's a plan I can latch onto. Baseball should be something to cheer about.

And softball. These girls are good.

^^This^^ thank god

+1

Archived