I am sure our coaching staff is watching the Super Bowl. Defense

AUIH1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya, but Carolina's play calling has really sucked (thanks Shula). How many times can you run it between the tackles for no gain on 1st and 10?!? Plus the penalties and turnovers are mostly on Carolina and not Denver. Don't get me wrong, Denver certainly has a great D, but Cam has to check down QUICKLY when you know they are coming. He has been holding the ball way too long on several plays which are obvious quick reads. Carolina didn't play like they have all season today for some reason. Maybe to big on themselves all week. Sucks!

Carolina's D played great too. D wins championships.

wde

And inept offenses loses them.

That too. Cam did all he could but Denver's D was just too good.

wde

wde

wde

And Panthers OL was hot garbage.

This game is all on Shula and the OL.

Ya, but Carolina's play calling has really sucked (thanks Shula)

Shula has been great for them all year long. Good luck calling an offense when your OL is getting destroyed. You say "don't call runs for no gain"...what is the alternative? Letting Miller and Ware rack up sacks every other play?

Shula has been great for them all year long. Good luck calling an offense when your OL is getting destroyed. You say "don't call runs for no gain"...what is the alternative? Letting Miller and Ware rack up sacks every other play?

Shula also threw away the big leads over the Giants and Seahawks late in the season. He's not very creative and seems to lack the ability to adjust on the fly.

wde

wde

Perhaps they were hot garbage because that's the best defense in football and they brought their A game.

Shula also threw away the big leads over the Giants and Seahawks late in the season. He's not very creative and seems to lack the ability to adjust on the fly.

You wouldn't even be bringing his name up if he wasn't a Bama alum/former coach. Admit it. LOL at "almost threw away big leads"...he's one of the hottest HC candidates in the NFL based off of what he did this season with the personnel they have, but he sucks right?

True. Shula was not the problem. Denver's D was just too good.

wde

wde

wde

Perhaps they were hot garbage because that's the best defense in football and they brought their A game.

Perhaps. The OL has been griped about for years, but I had thought they had turned a corner this year. I suppose they just were never that good this year and didn't play against any true defenses. Or whatever.

wde

wde

This is true. Denver is just that good on D. To admit that is not a criticism of Cam at all. Nor is it a reason to bash Shula.

wde

You wouldn't even be bringing his name up if he wasn't a Bama alum/former coach. Admit it. LOL at "almost threw away big leads"...he's one of the hottest HC candidates in the NFL based off of what he did this season with the personnel they have, but he sucks right?

Once a bama player or coach leaves the NCAA ranks, I don't give a s*** about their ties in the NFL. So what is the reason he went conservative in the play calling in the two games I mentioned?

Denver owned the Panthers OL....consistently ran right around the tackles or over the RBs who were supposed to help with blocking. Panther mistakes could not be overcome. If yards and first downs were all that mattered, i think the Panthers would have the trophy now.

wde

wde

This is true. Denver is just that good on D. To admit that is not a criticism of Cam at all. Nor is it a reason to bash Shula.

wde

I will admit some of my sourness comes from living around Broncos fans for the past two years and UT fans for five years before that.

So what is the reason he went conservative in the play calling in the two games I mentioned?

Did you ever think that maybe Ron Rivera, their DEFENSIVE HEAD COACH, maybe called that in? You know, considering that he's the one who would make that decision (going conservative or not) in the first place?

I turned off the game after the review booth failed to overturn the obvious catch for 24 yards. At that moment it became clear that the Panthers were playing against 2 foes; the Broncos and the officiating crew. I went back after the game and watched that catch 52 times, and all 52 times a catch for 24 yards was made. Just bad, bad officiating. That play was a harbinger of what I knew was going to happen.

I hate to be cynical, but that was an absolutely horrible call that set the tone for the outcome of the game.

So what is the reason he went conservative in the play calling in the two games I mentioned?

Did you ever think that maybe Ron Rivera, their DEFENSIVE HEAD COACH, maybe called that in? You know, considering that he's the one who would make that decision (going conservative or not) in the first place?

Yes, that had occurred to me. Would Rivera be so dense to go conservative in the first half of a playoff game? Neither called the dogs off in the Cards game, so I just don't know why it would happen in the two prior games. Who's to be held responsible for the loss to the Falcons, after they blanked them in their meeting just weeks prior?

I'll never understand going conservative one way or another when up by a large margin. Your job is to win football games, sportsmanship be damned.

The SB seemed too big of a stage for the Cats this time. Too many dropped balls, fumbles, and the right side of the line was abused...Not much for Shula, or Cam, to work with when that happens. Give credit to a great opponent.

"Defense wins championships"... nice catch phrase but not entirely accurate. Over the last 16 years, 43% of the 160 FBS teams that finished in the top-10 of total defense lost at least 4 games.

Obviously having a great defense helps but so does having a great offense. Yes, the 2010 Auburn defense played a great game against Oregon but there were 4 times that season, Auburn had to outscore the opponent's 30 or more points scored. If not for a record-setting offense, Auburn would not have been in the National Championship game in 2010 or 2013.

I sincerely believe Gus recognizes the need to improve on defense without having to watch the Super Bowl.

The SB seemed too big of a stage for the Cats this time. Too many dropped balls, fumbles, and the right side of the line was abused...Not much for Shula, or Cam, to work with when that happens. Give credit to a great opponent.

Very well stated.

They should have let Cam sprint out to the left and right, instead of keeping him in the pocket. That would have brought the DBs up and given the receivers a chance to get open. I screamed that all night at the TV and the announcers later confirmed that is what they should have done.

Denver's D was stifling and Carolina's offensive line was getting whipped. The only way to combat a defense with speed is motion.

"Defense wins championships"... nice catch phrase but not entirely accurate. Over the last 16 years, 43% of the 160 FBS teams that finished in the top-10 of total defense lost at least 4 games.

Obviously having a great defense helps but so does having a great offense. Yes, the 2010 Auburn defense played a great game against Oregon but there were 4 times that season, Auburn had to outscore the opponent's 30 or more points scored. If not for a record-setting offense, Auburn would not have been in the National Championship game in 2010 or 2013.

I sincerely believe Gus recognizes the need to improve on defense without having to watch the Super Bowl.

I'd say dropping 44 points on Saban and NOT winning may have been a wake up call. Need to be able to play on both sides of scrimmage. :)

Archived