@AUFamily, please stop

AUEngineer2016

The tweets that @AUFamily sent yesterday and today regarding the AUMB hurt feelings and left a bad taste in peoples mouths, whether it was intentional or not. I think it would have just gone away, but today the account was back at it again, asking if anyone would be interested in a SB style halftime show at AU.

This type of tweeting is turning people against each other and needs to stop. Tweeting at AUMB members and GA's who donate hours upon hours of time VOLUNTARILY for ALMOST NO RECOGNITION is immature and frankly is not something that account should be tweeting. I am ashamed to even be a member of this site right now.

I understand this post is probably going to be deleted/moved, and I really don't care. It's time to post an apology, personally DM people and apologize, and move on.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me too....and the last thing would look forward to is a Super Bowl halftime.

As for the AUMB....it brings chill bumps to me every time they break out onto the field at the beginning of a game....the drum majors strutting out and the band quick-stepping behind .....

We have a great band and I'm hoping that anyone sending tweets endorsing a SB approach to half-time was suffering from too many adult beverages.

Here is the tweet that started it all: https://twitter.com/...508947742769152

It says:

We love the @AUMB and all but the halftime show at JHS could take some notes #justsayin#SB50SB50.png

Multiple AUMB members replied, all basically saying the same thing: If you want to help, get your checkbook out and support the band. @AUFamily replied "WDE".

Today, @AUFamily runs a poll:

"Would you be in favor of #Auburn augmenting halftime shows at JHS w/ outside entertainment (e.g., Super Bowl-style)?"

What does that do other than to piss of the band members who just responded at you saying that if you want to help, we are currently underfunded? Do you want to know the fastest way to ruin a marching band? Make them background performers and give them even less recognition than they already get.

I thought the halftime SB show sucked giant monkey balls.

I did used to love the AUMB and Aubie halftime shows from 80s and 90s when they would do skits. Those were always fun to watch. I don't see anything disrespectful by that tweet, asking a legit question about halftime shows at JHS. Frankly, I don't watch halftime and never really did when I was at AU or after, once the skits stopped. I've always looked forward to the AUMB opening the game with the fight song as they march down the field, but other than that, .....meh.

It seems band folks are getting worked up over much of nothing and making more out of it than is there. If you wanted recognition for your musical abilities being the in the band playing at major D1 football is not the place to get that recognition, imo. The only ones watching the band at halftime are band parents or former band members.

I am clueless as to all things Twitter.

I find no one in our member list that goes by @AUFamily

WDE AUMB!

WDE AUMB!

It's a Twitter run by the admins of this site.

I thought the halftime SB show sucked giant monkey balls.

I did used to love the AUMB and Aubie halftime shows from 80s and 90s when they would do skits. Those were always fun to watch. I don't see anything disrespectful by that tweet, asking a legit question about halftime shows at JHS. Frankly, I don't watch halftime and never really did when I was at AU or after, once the skits stopped. I've always looked forward to the AUMB opening the game with the fight song as they march down the field, but other than that, .....meh.

It seems band folks are getting worked up over much of nothing and making more out of it than is there. If you wanted recognition for your musical abilities being the in the band playing at major D1 football is not the place to get that recognition, imo. The only ones watching the band at halftime are band parents or former band members.

Do you understand how sad this is for band members though? They go through summer workouts, practices, weigh-ins, 2-a-days, and they practice 10 hours a week during the fall semester, plus practices at 5am on gamedays, all so that they can play on that field.

I understand that you may not enjoy the AUMB, but there are a lot of us out there that do. I have friends in the band, friends who I've seen sacrifice study time, social events, and the opportunity to really relax and enjoy any football games as a student just so that they can perform at halftime and pre game, and now the people who should be supporting them are telling them that they aren't good and that they should "take notes" from the SB halftime show, which a) took months upon months of planning, 2) involved 3 of the greatest performers/performing groups in the world, and 3) cost millions of dollars to put on. Then they have the audacity to suggest that Auburn should replace the AUMB with a similar performance? Nice.

WDE AUMB!

Understood.

OP - Agreed. Poor form, even if unintentional.

If the poll is run here I will vote against it.

WDE AUMB!

WDE AUMB!

Understood.

OP - Agreed. Poor form, even if unintentional.

If the poll is run here I will vote against it.

WDE AUMB!

This

One of our daughter's friends is in the AUMB and I can vouch for the amount of hard work that goes into it. Suggesting that we should have "guest performers" at half-time is ridiculous. Is there any other Div. 1 school that does that? Not that I know of. It is totally unpractical and unnecessary. Our band is awesome. This year, they prepared for 3 different half-time shows at once. Imagine how hard that is.

I enjoyed the Super Bowl halftime show, but it was for one game. Silly to think we should have that at our halftime. Maybe the tweet was in jest? :dunno:

I agree, this is yet another example of this forum turning to **** stop trying to evade the profanity filter. From thread hijacks, useless bickering, tired jokes, etc..., and now criticizing the band because they can't get superstars to entertain us at halftime. This used to be a sight to have good discussions and get useful information, guess I'm starting to sound old and longing for the good old days

I agree, this is yet another example of this forum turning to ****. From thread hijacks, useless bickering, tired jokes, etc..., and now criticizing the band because they can't get superstars to entertain us at halftime. This used to be a sight to have good discussions and get useful information, guess I'm starting to sound old and longing for the good old days

Nice 42nd post.

I saw those and as someone with two former band kids I was a bit "chaffed" by it. Didn't understand the AUMB addition of the tweet. It could have left that out and still gotten the point across. The AUMB IS the best part of the halftime show at JHS and they are a big part of the Spirit of Auburn on game day.

Hopefully this won't continue.

I agree, this is yet another example of this forum turning to ****. From thread hijacks, useless bickering, tired jokes, etc..., and now criticizing the band because they can't get superstars to entertain us at halftime. This used to be a sight to have good discussions and get useful information, guess I'm starting to sound old and longing for the good old days

Alrighty then

For those who took the tweets as any kind of a slight at the AUMB, they took it the wrong way, I can promise you that. In fact, halftime shows infused with outside entertainment is nothing new, many are already heading in this direction ...

http://www.al.com/sp...l_styled_h.html

Again, people can react however they want to but this is all a lot of (misunderstood) sound and furor signifying nothing, IMO. And if we can't openly interact and share thoughts, what's the point of even having any of these mediums?

For those who took the tweets as any kind of a slight at the AUMB, they took it the wrong way, I can promise you that. In fact, halftime shows infused with outside entertainment is nothing new, many are already heading in this direction ...

http://www.al.com/sp...l_styled_h.html

Again, people can react however they want to but this is all a lot of (misunderstood) sound and furor signifying nothing, IMO.

I know it is.....but you can see why some might see it as a slight swipe when the AUMB is attached to the tweet itself.

Yeah, in hindsight ...

Again, I understand that the initial statement was never intended as a slight against the band, but to those in the band it was taken as such.

I have enjoyed being a part of this forum, and my post was meant to help steer the aim of the site back to its original intention, which is discussing and supporting Auburn University.

Even in hindsight, tagging the band could be viewed as asking the AUMB to chime in on the discussion as it would affect them whenever such shows were put in place. It certainly wasn't done maliciously. So to throw out words like "embarrassed", "ashamed", and "audacity" is just over the top. Before putting the site on blast, you could have asked RunInRed directly on PM instead of ascribing motives you couldn't possibly know were true or not.

I agree, this is yet another example of this forum turning to $h!t. From thread hijacks, useless bickering, tired jokes, etc..., and now criticizing the band because they can't get superstars to entertain us at halftime. This used to be a sight to have good discussions and get useful information, guess I'm starting to sound old and longing for the good old days

You've been around since 2010 and have 42 posts. Not to say anyone with a low post count doesn't deserve to be heard, but good grief this is the most over the top bunch of whiney nonsense I've seen in a while.

It's apparent that even before it "turned to s***" in your words, you couldn't be bothered to actively contribute. You know where the door is. Nobody's chaining you to the radiator and making you stay.

Archived