6 Women File Title IX Lawsuit Against Tennessee After String Of Sexual Assault Cases Involving Athletes

augolf1716

Could get ugly

http://collegespun.c...ketball-players

According to a report by The Tennessean, a new federal lawsuit against the University of Tennessee alleges that the school “has created a student culture that enables sexual assaults by student-athletes.” Former Tennessee football players A.J. Johnson, Michael Williams, Riyahd Jones and an unnamed fourth player, as well as former men’s basketball player Yemi Makanjuola, are all accused of sexual assault in the suit, brought forward by six unnamed women.

In making its case that the university enabled an environment of bad behavior and used a disciplinary system that favored the players, the lawsuit cited more than a dozen incidents involving football players that included underage drinking, sexual harassment, assault, armed robbery and sexual assaults that did not involve the Jane Doe plaintiffs. Some of the incidents cited have previously never been reported.

The plaintiffs say that UT violated the Title IX laws, which protect students from gender discrimination in federally funded education programs. UT created a hostile sexual environment for female students by showing “deliberate indifference and a clearly unreasonable response after a sexual assault that causes a student to endure additional harassment,” according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit also names Butch Jones as one of the UT higher-ups who acted with “deliberate indifference” when made aware of the accusations.

“UT administration (Chancellor Jimmy Cheek), athletic department (Vice Chancellor and Athletics Director) Dave Hart and football coach (Butch Jones) were personally aware (as ‘appropriate persons’ under Title IX) and had actual notice of previous sexual assaults and rapes by football players, yet acted with deliberate indifference to the serious risks of sexual assaults and failed to take corrective actions,” the plaintiffs said in their lawsuit.

We’ll continue to update this story as more comes out.

Baylor also.......http://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/local-politics/20160208-activists-to-demonstrate-against-sexual-violence-at-baylor.ece

This will get very ugly. Bank it.

This could be similar to Penn St sanctions, and could actually be much worse. While the Penn St accusers were children (which is much worse), it was mostly limited in proof as to who knew about it. This one seems to promote that several influential people at UT were involved in the "culture". So while the accusers are adult women which would draw less of a national spotlight and outpouring of anger than the Penn St case, if they can prove multiple people covered up these haneous acts, the school itself could be hit much harder than PSU. Could get very ugly indeed. If Butch was involved in any way, bye bye coach and the hopes of a good season.

This will get very ugly. Bank it.

If these charges were against my school....I would be terrified.

I'm really glad to see this happen. It's about time that schools face the music when it comes to covering for athletes serious misdeeds. It's one thing to cover a drunk and disorderly or a minor possession charge, but when elite athletes are hurting people and nothing is being done about it, in order to protect winning records, that has to stop. We've seen it too many times, especially in the SEC, where multiple violent offenders are dealt with, internally, so they can keep helping the team win.

Well, that didn't take long to get even nastier.....

http://www.tennessea...ictim/80170032/

Yeah saw that this afternoon its going to get a lot worst

Also mentioned in the suit is a former UT football player, Drae Bowles, who it’s alleged was assaulted by his Vols teammates after he had “taken Plaintiff Doe IV to the hospital the night of her assault and who had supported her decision to report the incident to the authorities.” As it turns out, The Tennessean reports, Bowles was also attacked a few days later at the football facility by the same teammates who had attacked him the first time.

The twin attacks were just part of a pattern of alleged retribution against Bowles by his teammates, as well as what’s been described as “deliberate indifference” on the part of university officials and athletic department personnel. From the paper’s accounting of the lawsuit, with the “Williams” in question being Mike Williams, a former UT defensive back who’s facing trial next month on rape charges:

"There, but for the grace of God, go I." This could happen at any school, anytime, anywhere. We hope it's not possible at Auburn, but who really knows?

"There, but for the grace of God, go I." This could happen at any school, anytime, anywhere. We hope it's not possible at Auburn, but who really knows?

Shhh...can't happen if you don't talk about it...

Wait...I think that is where this problem originated...never mind

It's not just UT or FSU. Research reveals that 23% of college coeds are assaulted at some point during their time on campus, and this is spread over many universities. Not just athletes. Frats are especially noted. But there are likely many more than 23%. Most rapes/assaults are never reported. Why? Because (1) even when reported, nothing is done because "blame the victim" is the way it works, and (2) even women have been brainwashed into believing it's their own fault. Males are unable to control their animal instincts and this is apparently a valid excuse.

It's not just UT or FSU. Research reveals that 23% of college coeds are assaulted at some point during their time on campus, and this is spread over many universities. Not just athletes. Frats are especially noted. But there are likely many more than 23%. Most rapes/assaults are never reported. Why? Because (1) even when reported, nothing is done because "blame the victim" is the way it works, and (2) even women have been brainwashed into believing it's their own fault. Males are unable to control their animal instincts and this is apparently a valid excuse.

I've seen that stat...I just wonder what defines "assaulted". Some women claim assault if they are looked at. Not saying that's the requirement here, just wondering.

Amen.....problems like this could happen about anywhere...and I suspect has happened at lot of schools but the victims have been scared to say anything....cases like these that get national attention will give courage to some students who have been cowered into silence.

• 2 weeks later...

Butch Jones will not survive this. I just wish that it would have came out a couple of months ago and then maybe we could have landed Nigel Warrior.

If he said that to the kid he has serious issues and I wouldn't want him at my school.

Butch Jones will not survive this. I just wish that it would have came out a couple of months ago and then maybe we could have landed Nigel Warrior.

If he said that to the kid he has serious issues and I wouldn't want him at my school.

Think you misunderstood?

Archived