Navy Rips Iran

Proud Tiger

The Navy has ripped Iran after they released video showing Sailor crying. Some here pooh poohed the capture at the time saying it was no big deal and we would do the same thing. Thank you Navy for ripping these evil bastards. It's about time somebody showed them some gonads rather than vocal cords.

http://www.foxnews.c...ml?intcmp=hpbt3

I don't recall the situation being pooh-poohed by anyone. I do recall however people trying to make political hay out of it and criticizing Obama for not being more forceful in his words on it - which then of course drew a response from others pointing out that the most important thing while the situation is still active and diplomacy seems to be progressing, is to get the sailors back first, not be Mr. Tough Guy and potentially anger them and jeopardize the sailors' release.

Well that is embarressing. I know the sailor had to at least have a SERE class, if not school.

Claiming that you were forced there is one thing but apologizing for being in their waters is another.

It was dismissed as no big deal , we'd do the same , & how we DO the same to drug runners .( an idiotic comparison ) I still question how 2 smaller boats could get lost & forget how to do basic navy stuff.

Good for the Navy to say...something.

I still haven't seen proof that such things were said. Maybe some corner of the internet I'm unaware of, but not anyone of note. The main criticism was that somehow Obama was piddling around and being weak while our sailors were captured by some banana republic in the Middle East and not condemning it harshly enough. Which is utterly myopic and could have potentially wrecked efforts that were progressing to get the sailors back.

But if you can show me where all this pooh-poohing was going on rather than just reasserting the claim, that would be nice. I still doubt it was a position that was widely spoken of or believed.

Nevermind, I found one person (not "some"), who suggested that the way the surrender happened - detaining trespassers by making them put their hands behind their heads and holding them for 16 hours (which is about all that was known at the time) - was probably S.O.P. even for us depending on the circumstances. We didn't know about filming them at the time, for instance.

That's hardly "pooh-poohing" it or any sort of widespread view.

Nevermind, I found one person (not "some"), who suggested that the way the surrender happened - detaining trespassers by making them put their hands behind their heads and holding them for 16 hours (which is about all that was known at the time) - was probably S.O.P. even for us depending on the circumstances. We didn't know about filming them at the time, for instance.

http://www.aufamily....20#entry2419815

If, starting on page one of that thread, you don't see what I call some pooh poohing, then we have a different version of pooh poohing ;D

At the risk of starting a "fight" here i won't go there. But if it makes you happy I will gladly remove the "pooh poohing" comment altogether. IMHO it is a nit in the bigger picture. The thing we should be focused on is the treatment our Navy men and women got from Iran and the fact the Navy is now speaking up about it.

http://www.aufamily....20#entry2419815

If, starting on page one of that thread, you don't see what I call some pooh poohing, then we have a different version of pooh poohing ;D

At the risk of starting a "fight" here i won't go there. But if it makes you happy I will gladly remove the "pooh poohing" comment altogether. IMHO it is a nit in the bigger picture. The thing we should be focused on is the treatment our Navy men and women got from Iran and the fact the Navy is now speaking up about it.

Well, I don't think anyone here would disagree with you on the latter.

3 at least tried to dismiss this as just another day in the Gulf. Complete rubbish.

Yep. I said it. Still mean it. I've driven a 9000 ton warship through the straight of hormuz and persian gulf as well as boarded numerous ships enforcing the oil for food program. One of my Master's degree is in Military Operations and I've studied Iranian influences in the Middle East.

Raptor? Just a lame sh** talker on a sports forum.

And how many times have our sailors been "rescued " or detained by the Iranian military?

How many times the same weekend we give them $150 billion do they make our sailors cry? That might be a fantasy of yours, but I don't think it happens too often.

And how many times have our sailors been "rescued " or detained by the Iranian military?

How many times the same weekend we give them $150 billion do they make our sailors cry? That might be a fantasy of yours, but I don't think it happens too often.

Never said it happens all the time. I said just another day in the gulf.

I never said that you said it happens all the time. Why do you make up these straw man arguments for things that others never said or accused you of saying ?

9/11 was just another day in New York.

I guess this was just rhetorical...

Well that is embarressing. I know the sailor had to at least have a SERE class, if not school.

Claiming that you were forced there is one thing but apologizing for being in their waters is another.

Would someone in this position go thru SERE? My knowledge on who does and does not is pretty dated. In my day (we still used wooden boats), they would not have had that training. Not sure it matters in the end. I still don't understand how we found ourselves in this position...has anyone on here heard a plausible explanation on how this transpired?

Would someone in this position go thru SERE? My knowledge on who does and does not is pretty dated. In my day (we still used wooden boats), they would not have had that training. Not sure it matters in the end. I still don't understand how we found ourselves in this position...has anyone on here heard a plausible explanation on how this transpired?

Not familiar with the captured sailors MOS but SERE is not standard training today for most. The training can become specific to the students. Have laughed my butt off at a pilot recount the story of telling his SERE partner "let's go sit over here in the woods so they will find us quickly and we can get this over with". Then there are stories of well qualified personnel having some disqualifying eye damage after training is complete.

Claiming that you were forced there is one thing butapologizing for being in their waters is another.

Not familiar with the captured sailors MOS but SERE is not standard training today for most. The training can become specific to the students. Have laughed my butt off at a pilot recount the story of telling his SERE partner "let's go sit over here in the woods so they will find us quickly and we can get this over with". Then there are stories of well qualified personnel having some disqualifying eye damage after training is complete.

thanks...I assumed they would not have the training unless they make it theater specific just for this kind of happening. I would still like to understand how it happened. I just haven't seen anything that makes sense.

Claiming that you were forced there is one thing butapologizing for being in their waters is another.

thanks...I assumed they would not have the training unless they make it theater specific just for this kind of happening. I would still like to understand how it happened. I just haven't seen anything that makes sense.

I never went through SERE training. I went through the class room portion twice though. Once here, once over there. These sailors should have too since they leave our docks imo. We were taught what to say to our captors if captive and also which actions were acceptable if we tried to escape, such as stealing enemy vehicles. At that time, we also received our blood chit belts.

Archived