Scholarships Available Next Year & Misc. Questions

AuburnNTexas

NCAA Div1 Teams are allowed 13 Scholarships. I believe we currently have 11 Players on scholarship. We have three Seniors graduating and Canty leaving. That should mean we have 6 Scholarships available next year. We have signed 3 players so should still have 3 more players available. That is assuming Shamsid-Deen is able to return. I am assuming one will go to Reed if he qualifies.

I am assuming we will be looking for Graduate Transfers or Juco players if any are available. Anybody have any idea who we might be looking at?

Does anybody know if there are still some quality HS players at PG or a PF/C that we might still be trying to get?

Finally what happened with Mike Cohen I remember when he committed but he never signed then I thought I heard he would be a walkon but haven't seen anything on him in a while.

If your numbers are right, I'd expect to need 4. I hope they don't ask SSD to play again. I knew coming in to this season he shouldn't be out there...and what did he make it...6 games? I hope he succeeds in life, but he has the worst shoulders I've ever seen. He literally ended his season this year because someone bumped in to him. He separated his shoulder last year because he reached for a ball and his finger got tugged a little. He needs to stop while he can still lift his arms safely.

That said, we are in bad need now of at least 1 pg if not 2 and an experienced big man. I hope we bring in a minimum of 3 players, either by JUCO or GT. If everyone we expect to have qualified and stays healthy for next year, the other positions may be good to go. That's a big IF at this point though.

On these late HS commitments, JUCO and transfer guys, it's not just a question of what we need. The talent pool is extremely limited. Are players with the skills we require even out there? If they are, do they have the slightest interest in Auburn?

We do have the slots, but getting quality kids to fill them is quite another matter.

Just wonder about putting one year bandages over our problems.

Sometimes you can strike gold but mostly it seems when we bring in the one year players....even the good ones like last season, the coaches spend most of the year trying to help them become a "team" rather than a collection of individuals.....often doing their own thing.

Sometimes you can strike gold but mostly it seems when we bring in the one year players....even the good ones like last season, the coaches spend most of the year trying to help them become a "team" rather than a collection of individuals.....often doing their own thing.

Pearl is doing what he can. It's hard to recruit good HS recruits when our basketball product is piss poor. And it's hard to make the product better when injuries and other unforeseen circumstances keep popping up. Pearl doesn't have a magic wand or anything like that that can make up for our lack of depth, height, and talent right now. I'm pretty sure Pearl doesn't want to rely on GT players, but he has to until our situation gets better.

Pearl is doing what he can. It's hard to recruit good HS recruits when our basketball product is piss poor. And it's hard to make the product better when injuries and other unforeseen circumstances keep popping up. Pearl doesn't have a magic wand or anything like that that can make up for our lack of depth, height, and talent right now. I'm pretty sure Pearl doesn't want to rely on GT players, but he has to until our situation gets better.

I accept all of that .... but every time a slot is filled with a "one and done" you are back to the same situation of having two or three key guys leave about the time they get BP's system figured out and the team has some cohesion.

Meanwhile, BP is supposed to be able to recruit good talent because HE is the coach, not because AU has any kind of basketball reputation. That is what turning a program is all about....the coach...not the school....JMO

So when does the strategy change....perhaps with the incoming class....or the one after that one ?

I accept all of that .... but every time a slot is filled with a "one and done" you are back to the same situation of having two or three key guys leave about the time they get BP's system figured out and the team has some cohesion.

Meanwhile, BP is supposed to be able to recruit good talent because HE is the coach, not because AU has any kind of basketball reputation. That is what turning a program is all about....the coach...not the school....JMO

So when does the strategy change....perhaps with the incoming class....or the one after that one ?

"So when does the strategy change....perhaps with the incoming class....or the one after that one"

Strategy changes once we are not desperate for serviceable depth. We are desperate for a big and a PG right now so we have to recruit one from either HS, juco, or GT. Beggars cannot be choosers. The upcoming class should help our depth and then Austin Wiley's class should help exponentially as well. By then, we should not be relying on transfers and what not. If so, something went wrong.

If be more than happy to get another Ross-Miller for one year to fill a hole. The depth issue will resolve itself in 2-3 years. Until then, plug and play.

But with Bowers, Canty, Harris, Granger and probably TS-D gone.....Dunans is the only solid player returning IMO though Spencer, Brown, New and Lang should be better after a year of SEC....but four of them are listed as Guards....and I'm not sure what it will take to get Spencer to the point that he can play 30 minutes in a game.

Bringing in another guard just leaves some of those guys on the bench. Not a pretty picture for certain.

If be more than happy to get another Ross-Miller for one year to fill a hole. The depth issue will resolve itself in 2-3 years. Until then, plug and play.

But with Bowers, Canty, Harris, Granger and probably TS-D gone.....Dunans is the only solid player returning IMO though Spencer, Brown, New and Lang should be better after a year of SEC....but four of them are listed as Guards....and I'm not sure what it will take to get Spencer to the point that he can play 30 minutes in a game.

Bringing in another guard just leaves some of those guys on the bench. Not a pretty picture for certain.

I mean a PG. Not a guard. We could also use a GT big man, then Spencer wouldn't have to play 30 minutes a game. I expect he'll be better next year regardless, but he could use a true center to learn the game from. Ideally we pick up 2 pgs and 2 Cs and we'll be set til the next class comes in (assuming SSD doesn't have some miraculous surgery between now and next season). Then we may have 1 or 2 holes to fill for the next year the same way. After that likely no holes remaining. Either way, we need 3 or 4 this next season, preferably all PGs and Cs.

I hope we hang on to Pearl. However his results have been very similar to the last two coaches. We seem doomed.

While his on-court results have been similar, there is reason for optimism because he's bringing better talent in. Give it three more years and if we're still scrapping around for a bunch of JUCO and transfer players, then we're DOOMED! :)

I hope we hang on to Pearl. However his results have been very similar to the last two coaches. We seem doomed.

While his on-court results have been similar, there is reason for optimism because he's bringing better talent in. Give it three more years and if we're still scrapping around for a bunch of JUCO and transfer players, then we're DOOMED! :)

OK...that's acceptable....well, three more might be pushing it unless there is some noticeable improvement on the W-L record which should be easy to do. . Most of us have agreed (I think) that the SEC from the middle to the bottom is not that tough and it is/was supposed to be pretty easy to jump over a some/most of the teams at the bottom of the league and get to the middle by now. But for whatever reason....here we are ranked #13....one step below last season and one step above he year before.

Sure we're worse right now, but this time there are clearly identifiable reasons. With both Lebo and Barbee there were nothing but transparent excuses.

Archived