2016 Spring Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

2016 Spring Practice Schedule

Gus Malzahn's Spring Intro Presser ...

Auburn's theme this year: 'Earn it,' says Gus Malzahn. 'Our players came up with that, and I think it's very appropriate.'

Today's the day: 'Players and coaches extremely excited. Our guys are ready to get out there,' says Gus Malzahn of start of spring practice

Gus Malzahn says Chris Laye has left the team. LB JaViere Mitchell has graduated and moved on. 'He's ready to start his life and his career'

Auburn DB Tray Matthews will miss spring with a shoulder injury. Kerryon Johnson and Jeremiah Dinson also injured and will miss spring

Gus Malzahn on Auburn QB race: 'They'll have equal reps. We'll give them all a chance to compete.'

Tackling and things: 'I'm not going to rule out the chance of going live this spring,' says Auburn's Gus Malzahn

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on the start of spring ball: 'This is a new team, and there are new dynamics.'

Auburn's Gus Malzahn on defensive coordinator Kevin Steele: 'There is quite a bit of carryover with the foundation of our defense.'

Auburn's Gus Malzahn reaction on Jim Harbaugh's spring practices in Florida: 'Yeah, whatever.'

@AUGoldMine

Deep Gus Malzahn cuts: Rob Coleman is on staff. They worked together in 1991.

No real comment from Gus Malzahn on whether Duke WIlliams will be invited to Auburn's pro day next week. Says he'll update this weekend.

Malzahn confirms what we all know: he and @CoachHand are on different sides of spectrum with personalities. Understand all his jokes? "No."

Does Gus Malzahn have a personality? "No, I don't." #trueanswer

@bmarcello

Gus Malzahn closes his press conference by reminding everyone to vote.

@JFergusonBR

Ccekq9YUYAA3hg-.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well. Not a good report at all. When is it going to get better for us?!

When someone hands you a donut, do you just see the hole?

^Yeah, I guess (I don't even like donuts). Okay, that was just my knee-jerk, overreaction to things. if we have a good year this year, my trust in our program will be restored. But I'll have to see it first. At this point, I feel like every little thing is a cause for panic. A season like last year does that to you. :/

^Yeah, I guess (I don't even like donuts). Okay, that was just my knee-jerk, overreaction to things. if we have a good year this year, my trust in our program will be restored. But I'll have to see it first. At this point, I feel like every little thing is a cause for panic. A season like last year does that to you. :/

Last year was a fluke... a series of unfortunate events that combined made for a bad season, but even as bad as it was, we still competed in all but 1 game. Be happy that the guys who are hurt are already good players who will come back healthy instead of playing through pain. Do something that makes you happy and relax. Things will get better.

Alright! I'm fired up and ready to see this expensive coaching staff "EARN IT"!

well said

"Auburn's Gus Malzahn reaction on Jim Harbaugh's spring practices in Florida: 'Yeah, whatever.'"

Tell it coach! :lol:

Ironic, Gus' self deprecating joke that he has no personality. When interviewed after signing with the Vols, Savage said the hardest college to say no to was Auburn because of...Gus Malzahn's great personality.

"Auburn's Gus Malzahn reaction on Jim Harbaugh's spring practices in Florida: 'Yeah, whatever.'"

Tell it coach! :lol:

Agreed!! Best comment of all.

You listen to too many Bammers.

I bet Gus has a great personality when he isn't in an interview. I think he learned from the Bill B. school for handling the media. Tell them as little as possible and hope it makes them leave you alone. I'm curious to see what Steele's style is. The defensive coaches interviews were about the only ones worth watching from a getting info perspective. If Steele has the same mindset as Gus then you can forget getting any real info on the team before A-day.

Let's take the field, men!

CcfuZObXIAAi_xg.jpg

via @AUBlog

Gus Malzahn looks on as QBs Tyler Queen and John Franklin III take reps...

CcfvuZCVIAAfp7B.jpg

@GregO_ESPN

Both Rhett Lashlee and Gus Malzahn were working closely w/ QBs, Malzahn talked to JFIII about his hand placement when carrying the ball

Jonathan Wallace at practice as GA, positive attitude carried over from time as player, don't think smile left his face

Couple things that jumped out, true freshman WR Kyle Davis has the size to play D1 football right now

First 20 minutes of Auburn practice was open to the media, safety Rudy Ford sat out in addition to players Malzahn listed earlier

JUCO transfer QB John Franklin III's (6-1) lack of size stands out next to Jeremy Johnson (6-5), 6-foot-1 might be bit of a stretch

@wareagleextra

Here's new WR coach Kodi Burns working with freshman WR Kyle Davis, who already has the look of a major contributor.

CcfvgVKW4AIlwGl.jpg

Here's OL coach Herb Hand, one of several new faces out there for Auburn today.

CcfvuJ3W4AA0XeW.jpg

Kyle Davis was also with Stanton Truitt during kick return drills. Marcus Davis, Jason Smith, Ryan Davis, and Javaris Davis were on Punts.

New walk-on QB Devin Adams has the coolest pair of cleats on the team. Love those high tops.

CcfwQJXXEAAuv_t.jpg

@JFergusonBR

Former Auburn wideout and new WR coach Kodi Burns working with freshman Kyle Davis on the first day of spring ball.

CcfvS_iXEAU9Tks.jpg

@EvanMcCullers

• Safety Rudy Ford did not participate in drills. He is sick, a team spokesman told AL.com. This comes on the heels of safety Tray Matthews (shoulder) and defensive back Jeremiah Dinson sitting out the entire spring. Ford led the Tigers with 118 tackles last season. He also had two interceptions.

• First team offensive line, from left to right: Robert Leff, Alex Kozan, Austin Golson, Braden Smith and Darius James.

• First team defensive line, from left to right: Carl Lawson, Devaroe Lawrence, Maurice Swain and Byron Cowart.

• Tim Irvin worked at Nickel with the first-team defense.

• Stephen Roberts and Nick Ruffin worked with first-team safeties.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/03/auburn_practice_observations_s.html

• Safety Rudy Ford did not participate in drills. He is sick, a team spokesman told AL.com. This comes on the heels of safety Tray Matthews (shoulder) and defensive back Jeremiah Dinson sitting out the entire spring. Ford led the Tigers with 118 tackles last season. He also had two interceptions.

• First team offensive line, from left to right: Robert Leff, Alex Kozan, Austin Golson, Braden Smith and Darius James.

• First team defensive line, from left to right: Carl Lawson, Devaroe Lawrence, Maurice Swain and Byron Cowart.

http://www.al.com/au...rvations_s.html

Wow, Cowart must have made strides.

Eh... first day of practice... the line-ups don't mean a thing.

Eh... first day of practice... the line-ups don't mean a thing.

Probably a lot of mixing in matching until season draws closer. Same thing last year.

Agreed. Adams not being out there is telling. That being said, I'm not sure there's another DE that would/should be out there in place of Cowart. He didn't play all that poorly last year, he just wasn't a standout. Being overweight could have had a lot to do with that along with attitude. By all accounts, that's not gonna be a problem anymore.

Archived