2017 4* CB Malcolm Askew (AU 6/4/16)

ellitor

Update I: Recruited to play CB or Nickel @ AU.

Updated II (06/04/16): Malcolm commits to AU!

Jeffrey Lee ‏@JLeeAU21 Malcolm Askew visited Auburn Thursday and left with the Tigers as his leader.

CSfMfNvUcAEvsyW.jpg

Malcom Askew, ATH
McCalla, AL (McAdory)
Ht: 5'11 | Wt: 183 | 40: 4.50

• Recruiters: Garner (P), McGriff (S)
  • Askew took snaps at quarterback while growing up and remained behind center through freshman year of high school. He switched over to wide receiver and defensive back full-time as a sophomore.
  • McAdory High School routinely runs a base cover-3 defensive package, according to Askew. This game plan requires him to cover significant ground at safety, though he's enjoyed cornerback reps during camp settings.
  • Auburn is recruiting him to play CB or Nickel

247Sports: 4*
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4*
Scout: 4*

Offers: Alabama, App State, Arkansas State, Auburn, Cal, Cincinnati, Clemson, Colorado, Duke, East Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Fresno State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Miami (FL), Michigan, Mississippi State, NC State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, Purdue, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Troy, Tulane, UAB, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Wake Forest, among others.

Cbn_Youe_WAAAWd_PG.jpg

Ck_JClz_SWUAANie2.jpgCje8kn4_WYAAf8_Sz.jpg

Ci_Xn_Xmf_Uo_AA8n_UD.jpgimage.jpg

Ch_GA9t_XUUAED5_Vj.jpg

Edited by ellitor

A couple of notes. MA plans to commit by late Summer & plans to be an EE wherever he goes. Likely a take for AU right now.

Edited by ellitor

Which side of the ball are we recruiting him for? Or is it too early to know that?

CB or Nickel.

I watched his film. A lot of the highlights were as a WR. He looks really good. Not the tallest, but he is a very good football player. I thought his football team was good too. He is definitely a playmaker.

Meant to post this a few days ago but forgot. AU leads

McAdoryfour-star athlete Malcolm Askew made his second trip to Auburn in three weeks on Thursday, and now the Tigers are in front for his services.

Askew is ranked as the No. 12 athlete nationally in the 247Sports composite and as the No. 176 overall recruit. He has more than 40 offers, though he likely projects as a cornerback at the next level.

The 6-foot, 175-pound Askew had Georgia as his leader last fall until the coaching changes there. Ole Miss, Clemson and Alabama have also been thought to be major contenders, but Askew had remained wide open. Now, Auburn with new defensive coaches Kevin Steele and Wesley McGriff, has taken over.

"They are the realest coaches that my family and I have spoken to," Askew said.

Askew listed several reasons for why Auburn now leads.

"Everything from the campus life, to the family feel with all the coaches, my chances at playing early, contending for champions and great support staff," Askew said. "It's one of the best schools in the south for what I'll be majoring in which is Computer Engineering. Really, the whole nine yards.

"I don't know why, but Auburn almost seems perfect."

Askew said that Alabama, where he visited last weekend for Junior Day, is still in his top group of schools. That group also includes Clemson, Ole Miss and Florida.

But Auburn is now on top for Askew, who plans to be a December graduate.

• 2 weeks later...

Ole Miss & Clemson chasing AU

BUFORD, Ga. — Malcolm Askew hasn’t hidden from the fact that Auburn has been in the lead for his services for most of March. On Sunday, however, he revealed what has kept two other teams in the chase.

Relationships are key. The four-star athlete from McAdory High School (McCalla, Ala.) will also consider immediate playing time in his recruitment. The latter helps Ole Miss’ chances.

“Ole Miss, I can come in and play wide receiver or defensive back,” said Askew, who is the No. 11 athlete in the nation and the No. 10 overall prospect in Alabama. “They just need me. They’re also a real (coaching) staff with me. I have a great relationship with (running backs) coach (Derrick) Nix and all those guys.”

Ole Miss isn’t the only school challenging Auburn for Askew. Clemson is also close behind, thanks to a strong bond with the program’s coaching staff, namely head coach Dabo Swinney.

“Great relationships,” the 6-foot, 175-pound Askew said. “Coach Dabo, he’s a great coach and he’s got great things going up there.”

Regarding Clemson hanging tough, Askew added:“It is because they’re like a family. Any time they come in, they’re going to treat you like you’re their son. That’s what I like about them. Every coach can be like a dad to me. That’s just the great thing about it.”

Askew doesn’t have long to make up his mind. He plans to announce his decision in August with plans to enroll at whichever school he chooses in January.

“That way I can get those transcripts over and things like that,” Askew said.

Despite other schools being in hot pursuit, Askew reaffirmed Sunday at Nike’s The Opening camp what he told SEC Country earlier this month.

“Auburn is my leader right now,” he said. “I’m going to come up with a top five. I know two that will be in that list, Ole Miss and Clemson. I know they’ll definitely be in my top five. The other two, I’m just trying to figure everything out.”

• 2 weeks later...

Almost committed Saturday... Said AU had huge lead. May commit soon.

Covered in the A Day visitor thread, article included.

Guy sounds like a good get to me! I like DBs that were really good receivers in high school. Come on home Askew!

I think Askew will be a multi-year starter. Kid is really coordinated and has great hands.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whoo hoo! Welcome to the family. McAdory guys come here to become legends!

To say this guy has an impressive offer list is an understatement. WDE Melcolm!

Agreed. When Duke and Vandy are on a prospect's offer list he probably won't have a problem maintaining grades or picking up football schemes.