2016 Spring Practice - Day 3

RunInRed

DC Kevin Steele

Auburn D-coordinator Kevin Steele says Saturday's third practice of spring was 'the first real day of football' because Tigers were in pads
Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele says linebacker Tre' Williams 'is trying to be a good leader… he's working hard to do that.'
Kevin Steele on his Auburn defensive coaching staff: 'It's just like a team. We've got each other's back.'

@AUGoldMine

Steele on Byron Cowart: "He is a physical talent with great attitude. He's still young."
Steele on LBs: "They're an eager group. ... They're just young and inexperienced."
Jeff Holland is at Buck right now. "I do know he has the physical attributes to be a player."
JUCO transfer Paul James III has not been practicing, according to Steele.
Steele: "I spend way more time with Rodney, Wesley and Travis than I do with my wife."
Steele: "Byron is a young guy but is starting to assert himself."
Joshua Holsey is cross-training more at safety in meeting rooms.
Montavius Atkinson has been working at the Money and Will spots -- so nickel and linebacker.
Steele deflects question as to whether or not DB Rudy Ford (illness) practiced today. Leaving that for Malzahn to discuss.
Auburn spokesman confirms Rudy Ford did not practice again today. Still ill.

@AUBlog

Auburn DC Kevin Steele: Prince Tega is "fun to watch" who is athletic guy
Auburn DC Kevin Steele: Dictionary (terminology) is similar to last year, trying to make latest coaching change an easy transition
Auburn DC Kevin Steele: Still too early to give personal assessment of indiv players after just one padded practice
Auburn DC Kevin Steele: Minute in has mentioned "relentless effort" twice, wants to watch the defense and see it all times

@wareagleextra

Thanks for posting all this, RiR.

I'm actually really encouraged after listening to Steele's interview. He's not over the top intense, like Muschamp; he's more, I guess, seasoned and confident. I really like his emphasis on a couple of things: attitude/effort over scheme, and team over individual.

He also kind of lights up when he talks about specific players, though. Seems to like Prince Tega.

Good stuff.

That second video with Devaroe Lawrence is awesome. I really like where it seems like the guys' heads are -- ready to be coached, ready to play hard, ready to improve.

Sounds like Pettway's pretty excited to be getting some reps at RB. Good report from him on Landon Rice, and his eyes light up when asked about JFIII.

RIR does a far better job keeping us up to date than many of those sites that charge $$$ for up to date and accurate information. Never any complaints from the Doc for sure!

Sorry to bump the post. Nothing to add besides more thanks to RIR.

WDE.

Thanks RIR. Lawrence is a monster, hope he lights it up this year. The potential for our D line is off the charts. Now they need to put it all together and show out as a unit.

Wonder what the illness is with Ford?

I'm predicting a big year with D Lawrence.

Hopefully Tega gets in this year as well

Our DL COULD be one of the biggest surprises in the SEC, if not the country this year--while we're optimistic, Garrett and Jonathan Allen, are getting all the attention.

Our DL COULD be one of the biggest surprises in the SEC, if not the country this year--while we're optimistic, Garrett and Jonathan Allen, are getting all the attention.

I feel like we say this every year. Gotta be optimistic like you said.

Yes but you have to feel better the way Dontavious Russel stepped up and having Byron another year. it appears we may finally have some depth at D-line and that is they key.

Yes but you have to feel better the way Dontavious Russel stepped up and having Byron another year. it appears we may finally have some depth at D-line and that is they key.

Not to mention a healthy Lawson and this incoming class that perhaps was the top DL class in the country

Love all of the info. But what counts are results on the field starting with wins and losses. The DL, based on talent, should be amazing. Let's hope the coaching matches the talent. The LB core is weak, let's hope the coaching can overcome that. The secondary has had one good year of coaching in Gus' tenure as HC. Hope McGriff can continue or build on that. I hope our new DC can at least maintain what the last DC started building.

On O, Gus needs to take over the O. Gus has proven to be a very good OC. We need that to return in a huge way.

wde

So when do we see the results of all that extra bowl practice back in December that coaches like to bs everyone about?

So when do we see the results of all that extra bowl practice back in December that coaches like to bs everyone about?

Probably during the first game...

Archived