2016 Spring Practice - Day 6

RunInRed

Auburn returned to the practice fields today after time off for Spring Break ...

CeLucaLWIAAfA5-.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CeLuhiFWwAAnzCL.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CeLumM7WoAE1Aqr.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CeL_SAYWoAETvPB.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CeL_UoLWwAAZz8y.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CeL_Wt1W4AAe1XF.jpg

via @AUGoldMine

CeLuFUSXIAAVyvC.jpg

@FootballAU

CeLuFDlWEAAtn7B.jpg

@FootballAU

CeLuFKtWIAIPOvl.jpg

@FootballAU

CeLuFIiW0AAJ1yW.jpg

@FootballAU

Gus Malzahn

Auburn started tackling today. Thursday will be shells and RZ work. Saturday will be a scrimmage.

Malzahn says there was a little bit of rust today. Team had 11 days off between practices.

Malzahn confirms report that OL signee Brodarious Hamm was diagnosed with cancer. "Thoughts and prayers are w/ his family."

Malzahn on Rudy Ford returning today: "It's good. We have a lot of information on Rudy. ... That leadership ... just means so much."

Malzahn: "These last nine practices we really need to keep improving."

@AUBlog

Gus Malzahn said Auburn did 'real tackle football' Tuesday for the first time this spring.

@AUGoldMine

Gus on QBs: "I thought in the individual period, they were very crisp."

The OL's been shuffled around a bit in practice, including Austin Golson taking reps at LT. "Spring's always a good time to mix and match."

@_sam_butler

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Plans to have scrimmage Thursday at JHS

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Quarterbacks could go live Thursday, hasn't made decision yet

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn: Will tell QBs night before if they are going live later this week, wants them to be prepared

@wareagleextra

Malzahn on freshman WR Kyle Davis: "You can tell he's really sharp. He really knows his football."

Malzahn reaffirms the staff wants to get a two-deep depth chart set by the end of spring camp.

@JFergusonBR

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Braden Smith

Auburn OL Braden Smith: Working mainly right guard, worked a little bit at right tackle

@wareagleextra

"It's always great to get back out there and start hitting people again."

@JFergusonBR

Braden on new OL coach Herb Hand: "He's got a lot of energy, and he's a technician."

@_sam_butler

Nick Ruffin

"For the secondary, it's been a really good spring... getting back into the flow of things, the physicality."

Nick Ruffin on new Auburn DB coach Wesley McGriff: "He's very animated. He's hilarious. He expects the same out of every player."

Nick Ruffin is a pre-wireless engineering major. His dad was an IT guy, which made him want to do something similar. "It's a lot of coding."

@JFergusonBR

Auburn DB Nick Ruffin on Jamel Dean: "A big, lanky corner. Having somebody w/ that length is something not every school has."

@matthewcstevens

Auburn DB Nick Ruffin: "A safety is a safety in any defense" talking about differences in scheme from this year to last year

@wareagleextra

Tony Stevens

Tony Stevens, who is joining us now: Says one of his strengths is his speed. One of his weaknesses? Leadership. Needs to improve that area.

@AUBlog

Stevens: "I have to be more vocal at there. I know people are looking up to me out there."

@matthewcstevens

Auburn WR Tony Stevens: JFIII texted all the receivers when he got to campus last month asking if they wanted to throw

@wareagleextra

Auburn WR Tony Stevens said new position coach Kodi Burns said his main focus right now is for the wideouts to be more physical.

Tony Stevens on new QB John Franklin III: "He's so fast. Good luck trying to catch him in a scrimmage."

@JFergusonBR

Nick Ruffin is a wireless guy huh. Wonder if it's software or hardware option? Probably software if doing s lot of coding. I'd advise him to pull a double major. For hardware option it's like 1 more semester of classes to get a major in wireless and electrical engineering.

Nick Ruffin is a wireless guy huh. Wonder if it's software or hardware option? Probably software if doing s lot of coding. I'd advise him to pull a double major. For hardware option it's like 1 more semester of classes to get a major in wireless and electrical engineering.

He could do that as a side note I believe his older brother went to MIT

That's a lot of QB's...I don't know who all those guys are....

15...Tyler Queen

6....Jeremy Johnson

5....JF3

13....Sean White

18....Devin Adams??

thanks for the assist....JF is a lot bigger than I thought...but then again, so is Queen.

Hope everything works out for Hamm. Not really knowledgeable in such a thing, but is the type of cancer he's got relatively survivable? Thanks.

I like what Stevens has to say about JF3. Again, maybe I'm grasping at the straws, but it sounds like he's JF3's trying to take on a leadership role.

He's software

That's a lot of QB's...I don't know who all those guys are....

15...Tyler Queen

6....Jeremy Johnson

5....JF3

13....Sean White

18....Devin Adams??

thanks for the assist....JF is a lot bigger than I thought...but then again, so is Queen.

you must have thought he was t tiny.

Malzahn says

Overall, I like where we're at.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032216aaa.html

Which we heard from Malzahn after every practice last spring and after every practice last fall.

I want to be happy where we are at after the 12th game. What I want to hear right now is, We've got a lot of work to do if we are going to win any games next season. A lot of work. Time for men to be men and children to get out of the way.

Are the practices held in JHS the only ones viewable by the public?

In other words, is the only way (at this point) to find out who is taking first team/majority of first team reps by hear say and inside info?

Terrible news about B. Hamm. Prayers sent and here's wishing him a speedy and full recovery.

Glad to see a focus on WR's being more physical. Many plays in the traditional Gus arsenal rely on receivers holding a block for at least a couple seconds. Even some of our bigger receivers have been dicey blockers on the edge the last couple seasons.

I like what Stevens has to say about JF3. Again, maybe I'm grasping at the straws, but it sounds like he's JF3's trying to take on a leadership role.

Leadership is something I thought was missing at QB last year. I was skeptical about JF3 coming in and taking the starting job, now I'm beginning to think he just might.

Malzahn says

Overall, I like where we're at.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032216aaa.html

Which we heard from Malzahn after every practice last spring and after every practice last fall.

I want to be happy where we are at after the 12th game. What I want to hear right now is, We've got a lot of work to do if we are going to win any games next season. A lot of work. Time for men to be men and children to get out of the way.

You still read/watch Gus interviews?? Interesting....please let us know if he says something other than I like the effort, good intensity today, and we gotta keep improving.

I hope we get some good word on the D-line esp Cowart and a healthy Lawson, the o-line, the QBs, LBs, receivers, kicking game, RBs. Wow, I guess that is pretty much the whole team. We need lots of improvement this year, in lots of areas. I hope our spring game shows some improvement.

Pretty encouraging to hear Ruffin's analysis of Jamel Dean. If he's legit, we'll have the longest set of CBs in the SEC, and Stephen Roberts gives us a Safety that can shift down into man coverage with ease. That secondary has a chance to be special if the DL can put together a solid pass rush (no secondary can be special without it).

Archived