2016 Spring Practice - Day 7

RunInRed

Rhett Lashlee

Lashlee: "Tuesday was fairly sloppy." -- as expected on the first day back from spring break.

Lashlee on QBs: "I've been pleased so far, but again we've had seven practices and they've been wearing orange jerseys the whole time."

Lashlee says coaches haven't decided yet if QBs will go live on Saturday, but said it's still possible.

Lashlee on JF3 comparisons to Nick Marshall: "I don't know yet ... There are definitely parts of his skill set that would compare favorably"

Lashlee on @CoachHand: "Some guys always got jokes. He's always got jokes" Said Hand has got some smiles out of Gus, but Gus won't admit it

Lashlee says biggest difference with Jeremy Johnson this spring is his body language. Total change from last year after rough start

Lashlee: "We're using the tight end a whole lot more in practice right now. We know we need to. We want to."

@AUBlog

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says he's been impressed with the 'attitude, effort and energy' of spring practice

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee on his QBs: 'I think all guys are better than when we started.'

Auburn's Rhett Lashlee says quarterback John Franklin III 'is picking up the offense fairly well. He's shown he has a great work ethic.'

Auburn quarterback Sean White 'is healthy again. He's the old Sean,' says offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee

Auburn QB John Franklin III has gained 10 pounds since he's arrived. In the 180-185-pound range, says Rhett Lashlee

Auburn's offense? 'We'll know a lot more after we scrimmage on Saturday,' says offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says new receivers coach Kodi Burns 'is a great fit for us.'

@AUGoldMine

Lashlee: "We're using the tight end a whole lot more in practice right now. We know we need to. We want to."

I hope this is true.

I hope this is true.

:dunno:

It probably means they "might" throw it once in the red zone, the pass to the corner, ala CJ vs Miss State. Or the old throw back.

Its going to take a lot more to convince me. Consistently using the TE.

I hope we use them if we have the personnel. I don't want to force a TE onto the field if it means taking away a better option. Since I've never really seen Jalen Harris or Landon Rice play, I don't know whether we really have the personnel to utilize a TE.

If we're talking about using our H-Backs in multiple positions, that sounds like a very good idea. Pettway and Cox look like really good young football players.

There's more reward than loss in my opinion to letting the QBs go live tomorrow. After last season I'd open it up every scrimmage during spring to gain a better assessment of the QB position.

I hope we use them if we have the personnel. I don't want to force a TE onto the field if it means taking away a better option. Since I've never really seen Jalen Harris or Landon Rice play, I don't know whether we really have the personnel to utilize a TE.

If we're talking about using our H-Backs in multiple positions, that sounds like a very good idea. Pettway and Cox look like really good young football players.

I have a feeling that Landon Rice is so good that he is forcing Lashlee's hand. If you have weapons, you have to use them. I have a feeling we won't see much of Jalen Harris on the field.

needs to be a weapon people have to worry about. one that has the chance to give qb a high percentage target.

Maybe like a guy who is 6'5, steady hands, and good enough to be on an NFL roster? I wish our staff had experience working with someone like that

coughCJUZOMAHcough

The dude didn't even get to 30 catches in his entire career but he's on an NFL team that values his skill set enough to keep him on the roster even though they already have 2 really good TEs.

Basically...count me in with Randman. I'll need to see us utilize a TE before I start buying into presser generated hype which is 98% BS 100% of the time.

There's more reward than loss in my opinion to letting the QBs go live tomorrow. After last season I'd open it up every scrimmage during spring to gain a better assessment of the QB position.

Agree 100%

TE is the most underutilized position in our offense. As many NFL teams have proven, it can be a tremendous offensive weapon. Neither Lutz or Uze were used enough, far from it. So when it comes to the TE, don't talk about it coach, show us.

Lutz was the man, he was used effectively imo but CJ was clearly not......sidebar they can't show us until the games are played...patience grasshoppers...maybe they have are going to hit us all with new kinds of smoke...

Lutz was the man, he was used effectively imo but CJ was clearly not......sidebar they can't show us until the games are played...patience grasshoppers...maybe they have are going to hit us all with new kinds of smoke...

I disagree just a little. I agree Lutzy was the man. He had the best hands on the entire team. He should have gotten 4 times the number of catches he got. Hard to complain too much when you win the national title, but for his talent, Lutzy was underused.

Lutz wasn't used enough either. On the sidebar, that is the larger point I'm making. All the talk means nothing, just show us at game time.

I disagree just a little. I agree Lutzy was the man. He had the best hands on the entire team. He should have gotten 4 times the number of catches he got. Hard to complain too much when you win the national title, but for his talent, Lutzy was underused.

Hard to argue with the overall results. I think he was used appropriately considering the circumstances (running game and Cam in general). That's not to down Lutzy at all, in a different time he could have been used a ton more.

It worked - you had playmakers all over the field...Cam, Dyer, Adams, Blake, Omac, and others. Had to spread the wealth. The year after it was a bit more difficult because teams could key on him without those elite playmakers around him....

Archived