2016 Spring Practice - Day 9

RunInRed

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Auburn HC Gus Malzahn was hands-on with a first-team offensive line drill while Herb Hand worked with the reserves.

Cevv-T0W4AEBEA4.jpg

Malzahn also "snapped" to John Franklin III again in a footwork drill with the quarterbacks.

CevwRX1XIAI_F0L.jpg

Offensive lineman Darius James sits out Tuesday practice

The viewing window ended with a pace drill. Auburn is rotating a lot, especially at QB, but here are the 1st and 2nd offenses & defenses...

Cev06bmWAAAAjYh.jpg

@JFergusonBR

Major emphasis on OL blocking progressions based on the opposing fronts. Second level blocking was very inconsistent in 2015.

X Dampeer? I thought he was graduating? One reason i was so bummed about him being knocked out of his last season by a knuckle sammich. Glad i was so far off on that one.

X Dampeer? I thought he was graduating? One reason i was so bummed about him being knocked out of his last season by a knuckle sammich. Glad i was so far off on that one.

Did he get a medical redshirt?

Did he get a medical redshirt?

Yes, for the broken jaw.

I'm liking the thought of moving Golsen out to tackle and X at center. Kind of surprised that we haven't heard more out of Horton at RT.

I'm liking the thought of moving Golsen out to tackle and X at center. Kind of surprised that we haven't heard more out of Horton at RT.

Not me. It results in a less experienced OL this year and next. If this year ends up being a dumpster fire (as it's looking like), I want us as set up to bounce back as possible.

If this year ends up being a dumpster fire (as it's looking like),

based on? DL is the best it's been on paper in forever, secondary is solid, RBs are just as good as last year if not better, receiving core is supremely talented. I don't think you know what a dumpster fire is.

Not me. It results in a less experienced OL this year and next. If this year ends up being a dumpster fire (as it's looking like), I want us as set up to bounce back as possible.

Tell me again how and why this season is looking like a "dumpster fire"?

X is capable, and last year was AGs first year playing Center. Kaleb Kim getting 2nd team reps will prepare him for next year.

Guys remember this is spring training. Coaches are developing depth and preparing the what if so and so goes down. A lot of moving pieces. Even at the QB spot a lot of looks at not only who will start but who will be next of the bench. For example if you lost a RT could you move Golson over and bring X in or should you bring Horton in at RT. OL is all about co-ordination between players. You heard the coaches talking about pairs at RT and RG and LT and LG. Sometimes it is not as easy as just swapping one player. WDE

My outlook does fluctuate a lot (especially based off how stressed I am at the time). So I'll fully admit that I can and will overreact to certain little tidbits.

I hope it was a sucker punch....a big o lineman shouldn't have his season ended because of a fight with a wr....

Sean White with the first team today?! There's no way (it's only spring practice)

I don't know why people make who is at qb during spring a big deal, apparently it's a close battle so people should expect to see every qb with the first team at some time. How else would Gus make a decision without seeing each qb live against the first team?

Actually if you read the article both SW and JJ rotated out at first team. I am sure that JF has also worked out with the first string over the spring. The only person that hasn't was TQ and that is because he is on pitch count. When fall gets here then it will be time to jell the starter with the first team, but even then you still rotate your second string QB in practice to the first team just in case he has to come in during the game. You wouldn't want to have to bring in the whole second string would you ? WDE

SW is our best option at this point... He's much better than Jeremy right now.

John Franklin is the head-scratcher... let's just say he's got to get A LOT better before August. I think he has the potential, but he's not at the same level as Nick was when he reported. He's got time though...

After 9 practices in March, it's quite clear.

And, in no way am I saying Sean has looked like a world-beater either.

Assistant Coaches speak ......... with forked tongue. FIFY

I trust this "speak" a lot more than the speak we get from our reps in Washington....I love these guys.

Archived