New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

I know there are a lot of topics related to QB Position and Spring leaders. However, they seemed to be individually titled or related to a scrimmage and not particularly position related.

Mods, if you think there is an existing thread that works better feel free to move this topic thread here.

Many have stated that Jeremy Johnson has been leading in the overall competition.

Others have stated that it is JF III's to lose.

However, the AL.com beat writers seem to have a different take.

Quote:

Based on hints dropped here and there by Malzahn and other reports that have emerged from Auburn, it appears White is currently in the lead for the starting nod. However, Franklin is still in contention and will have some role as a quarterback this fall.

Unquote

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this....JJ is just too error prone. Talented but too risky to hitch your team too. White although not as talented athletically, does have the ability to manage the offense and give AU the threat of a vertical passing game. The key imo will be offensive line and pass protection. If he has time coupled with the receiver talent AU has I think he

can have an awesome season.

If it comes down to Johnson or White, White would get the nod...

If it's between White and Franklin, White would still be the QB. Franklin is just too far behind the curve right now...

Weakest part of SW game is his vertical passing. But I think it's safe that everybody knows who are the guys who agree with SW.....

Weakest part of SW game is his vertical passing. But I think it's safe that everybody knows who are the guys who agree with SW.....

Of the 31 Auburn QB's to attempt at least 100 paases during a season from 1992-2015, Sean White had the 5th best ratio for producing pass plays of 15-yds or more. Nick Marshall in 2013 was #19 on the list.

And he remarkably only had one TD pass despite his ability to throw it past the sticks. Have you broken down our red zone offense yet?

Of the 31 Auburn QB's to attempt at least 100 paases during a season from 1992-2015, Sean White had the 5th best ratio for producing pass plays of 15-yds or more. Nick Marshall in 2013 was #19 on the list.

Well, that debunks that talking point

And I guess vertical is subjective but I don't feel like arguing with stat to be honest, it means I have to argue with too many minions.....also a screen pass can go for 15 yards sometimes, but really a rock solid stat for vertical passing. And what is that ratio exactly? I'm assuming most came in the arky/Kentucky games.....yet we just compared his ratio to Nick Marshall Smh

If you don't think about it, it sure does....

If you don't think about it, it sure does....

Yeah, that's it.

And you're correct, screens can go for 15+, but not many of ours did last year.

Yeah I know this is where we do the you have to be stupid to not agree with stat because he posted a stat and that's that but you're pretty much taking two games from two of the worst defenses in the SEC, ....comparing him to guys who played every game in a season....

But what's most funny to me is the picking and choosing what stats to look at. If there was an argument about if SW was a good qb and I said he only threw one td that wouldn't mean anything....

If I was to talk about completion percentage we'd mention drops....But when it's something good well that's that. Something like this and the 250 yards in two or three games or something like that? Oh well then the stats speak for themselves....

But anyway in my statement I was talking about deep stretch the defense downfield passing being a weakness. I don't think SW was too accurate deep downfield. Really wasn't talking about 15 or even 20 yards throws, I think he's just as accurate on those as a ten yard throw personally

On watching him play and him only connecting on a few deep plays....I remember miss st was his first game and they pretty much kept his passes short and to the outside, I didn't have any idea why they didn't really let him throw against San Jose st. Kentucky game was the best our o line played. And the arky game where Louis dropped a long one that was right there but he also caught a long one that was behind him. I think I remember white completing only two of those statue of liberty plays. And that's about it. I didn't get to see him in the bowl game

My point though, I shot around 80% from the free throw line in high school. If you caught the right three or four games in a row it may have been in the 90's.

Yeah I know this is where we do the you have to be stupid to not agree with stat because he posted a stat and that's that but you're pretty much taking two games from two of the worst defenses in the SEC, ....comparing him to guys who played every game in a season....

Since I wasn't talking to you in that statement I guess I don't care if you don't care, I figured you don't care. No need to capitalise I know exactly what I said and I still believe it based on the reasons I said. So what do you believe is the weakest part of his game?

On watching him play and him only connecting on a few deep plays....I remember miss st was his first game and they pretty much kept his passes short and to the outside, I didn't have any idea why they didn't really let him throw against San Jose st. Kentucky game was the best our o line played. And the arky game where Louis dropped a long one that was right there but he also caught a long one that was behind him. I think I remember white completing only two of those statue of liberty plays. And that's about it. I didn't get to see him in the bowl game

My point though, I shot around 80% from the free throw line in high school. If you caught the right three or four games in a row it may have been in the 90's.

Could you also post the number of attempts and completions with your percentages? The coaching staff says lots of things but it's not just getting the ball downfield it's getting down field when you don't get to step all the way in your throw, or having to make the throw right after you were crushed or making it in the fourth after a decent pick up and you're winded, or maybe even making it and the wind against you.....He's only played a few games can't really say one way or the other as far as his arm strength, I'm more talking accuracy though, at least down field

As most redshirt freshmen in the SEC who start, Sean struggled starting out. By the end of the Ole Miss game he had improved as had the offense as a whole. JJ did a good job filling in for an injured SW against TAMU. Unfortunately against the better defenses the offense stalled under JJ.

I could see Sean starting the season with JF3 coming in periodically to shake things up. Knowing Gus, he'll only let JF3 run the ball and no one will worry about his throwing ability. If the offense stalls under SW and things start going south then I could see JF3 coming in toward the end of September as the starter.

Why every time we talk you are so defensive? I saw all his highlights when we signed him and I never questioned his arm strength, I wonder about hos down field accuracy in college. But I asked you a question so I figured you'd answer it but you posted this so that's why I was confused.

Could you also post the number of attempts and completions with your percentages? The coaching staff says lots of things but it's not just getting the ball downfield it's getting down field when you don't get to step all the way in your throw, or having to make the throw right after you were crushed or making it in the fourth after a decent pick up and you're winded, or maybe even making it and the wind against you.....He's only played a few games can't really say one way or the other as far as his arm strength, I'm more talking accuracy though, at least down field

Archived