New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

We have brought in many JUCO guys that have come in and sat. Its not uncommon.

If people actually read rl's quote it said he felt he would play, they just weren"t sure where.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never said it wasn't. Coach L said himself they didn't bring in JF3 to sit. Wasn't saying it wasn't uncommon, but the majority of the time you bring in JUCO players to provide depth or to play.

i thought Kenny Flowers would be a automatic starter at LB. I doubt he ever played a meaningful snap in his 2 or 3 years. Some just don't cut it.

Flowers, King, Moncrief..... We hit a bad spot in the road with JUCOs right there.

And yet the best coach in the NFL saw king and was able to make him productive. Moncrief will probably be awesome

never said it wasn't. Coach L said himself they didn't bring in JF3 to sit. Wasn't saying it wasn't uncommon, but the majority of the time you bring in JUCO players to provide depth or to play.

i thought Kenny Flowers would be a automatic starter at LB. I doubt he ever played a meaningful snap in his 2 or 3 years. Some just don't cut it.

Flowers, King, Moncrief..... We hit a bad spot in the road with JUCOs right there.

And yet the best coach in the NFL saw king and was able to make him productive. Moncrief will probably be awesome

This is true ^^^...

In the last 8 years... I've grown to hate draft day. There are some exceptions, but for the most part it just shows the glaring lack of development of talent in the AU football program. Year after year we have OL's, DB's, TE's and LB's with years of experience and pt... that are on nobody's draft board.

McKinzy and Frost started for 3+ years... and their careers might be over.

But, I just saw a LB from Clemson, who sat the bench until his redshirt senior year, and got drafted in the 4th round.

That just goes to show how our player development compares to the Clemson's, bammers, LSU's, Uga's ect...

We have to do better...

A coach will never say he brought Jimmy or Joe in for depth or to just sit on the bench but obviously it happens. If we signed some 1* or 2* recruits maybe we would have a few guys who would be happy to run scout team and play mop-up duty for a free education. However we only sign elite athletes (about 25) each year so we constantly face attrition and attitude/morale issues (like everyone else). We probably don't have enough quality walk-ons for scout team because most of the 2 stars sign with lower level teams or JUCOs to get playing time and free education rather than walking on at a major program. Can't say as I blame them.

That's what they said when we signed him.

And when we got those coaches last year Moncrief took off.

Sometimes the lazy guys do "take off" when money gets involved. We had a "lots of potential, little production" OL guy years ago that did next to nothing at Auburn. Got in the NFL and started for years. Surprising what a motivator several hundred thousand dollars can be.

So on the topic of QBs...I think Clint Mosley and Trotter walked away with some eligibility left hahaha

King Dunlap?

I was initially thinking Frank Warren, but that gives my age away. There have been several that fit the "lazy until the money entered the picture" bill. Barkley is another one that comes to mind.

Realistically...will Tyler Queen ever get a shot? It's a crowded position & I think he'll always be the odd man out like Neil Caudle was. Opinions?

Realistically...will Tyler Queen ever get a shot? It's a crowded position & I think he'll always be the odd man out like Neil Caudle was. Opinions?

Queen's health isn't doing him any favors. He's missed a lot of valuable reps. Instead of being a full year + a spring up on Barrett, he... won't be. Skills wise, who knows? He could be a phenom. We have no idea. But he's only a redshirt FR and he's got time. JJ and JFIII should be gone before his junior year, before which he shouldn't be expecting- and we shouldn't be hoping for him- to start. (Also don't be surprised for JFIII to change positions or only have a package of plays that he runs.)

That leaves:

White- eligibility will be exhausted one year earlier than Queen's

Barrett- still in high school and has shown even less than the nothing that Queen's shown at this level

Gatewood- if we're lucky and his commitment sticks and he stays healthy through another full year of high school ball (even then, he comes in as a true freshman in Queen's redshirt sophomore year)

Those odds aren't terrible for Queen to start a year or two, or even come on midseason for an injured QB1. We should know better than any fanbase that nobody from his competition is a sure bet.

Many people seem to want to ignore that fact. The % of JUCO players that come in and sit isn't much if any different from the % of high school guys that come in and sit.

Facts have no business in this forum.

Until there is some data presented to support that, it is not a fact but an opinion. It very well may be true but just because someone says it does not make it a fact.

Queen's health isn't doing him any favors. He's missed a lot of valuable reps. Instead of being a full year + a spring up on Barrett, he... won't be. Skills wise, who knows? He could be a phenom. We have no idea. But he's only a redshirt FR and he's got time. JJ and JFIII should be gone before his junior year, before which he shouldn't be expecting- and we shouldn't be hoping for him- to start. (Also don't be surprised for JFIII to change positions or only have a package of plays that he runs.)

That leaves:

White- eligibility will be exhausted one year earlier than Queen's

Barrett- still in high school and has shown even less than the nothing that Queen's shown at this level

Gatewood- if we're lucky and his commitment sticks and he stays healthy through another full year of high school ball (even then, he comes in as a true freshman in Queen's redshirt sophomore year)

Those odds aren't terrible for Queen to start a year or two, or even come on midseason for an injured QB1. We should know better than any fanbase that nobody from his competition is a sure bet.

so much can happen. any player especially a qb must press on and expect to get a chance. hell, look at tex anm.

Triple option? Wing T? Power I? There are solutions people!

Unfortunately, none of those are solutions unless your QB is enough of a passing threat to scare the defense into not loading the box.

Unfortunately, none of those are solutions unless your QB is enough of a passing threat to scare the defense into not loading the box.

Additionally, if Gus were to continue to pigeon hole himself as a DT/option QB only coach, in the future we become a school like GT that can't recruit good OL, QBs or WRs at all. Bottom line, Gus is supposed to be an O mastermind/guru. IF that is true, then he can surely recruit and develop and HS QB to make "his offense" work. By "his offense", I mean that all of us AU alumni and fans have bought into the legend that Gus' offensive mind is so masterful that "his offense" is not dependent on any particular type of QB to make it effective in the SEC. So, it will be interesting to see how many drop back type of QBs versus DT QBs we sign in the next few Gus recruiting classes.

wde

Still believe (and I have some inside info), that if the QB job was decided today, Sean White would be the QB.

Does not mean that is the way it shakes out in the end, but I will be surprised if he is not the starter Sept. 3rd.

Still believe (and I have some inside info), that if the QB job was decided today, Sean White would be the QB.

Does not mean that is the way it shakes out in the end, but I will be surprised if he is not the starter Sept. 3rd.

My source says the same thing

You are my source, don't make me a liar ;D:laugh:

My source says the same thing

You are my source, don't make me a liar ;D/> :laugh:/>

That's the general consensus I've gathered. At least through Spring. Doubtful that JF3 has the time to control his arm by Fall practice.

Additionally, if Gus were to continue to pigeon hole himself as a DT/option QB only coach, in the future we become a school like GT that can't recruit good OL, QBs or WRs at all. Bottom line, Gus is supposed to be an O mastermind/guru. IF that is true, then he can surely recruit and develop and HS QB to make "his offense" work. By "his offense", I mean that all of us AU alumni and fans have bought into the legend that Gus' offensive mind is so masterful that "his offense" is not dependent on any particular type of QB to make it effective in the SEC. So, it will be interesting to see how many drop back type of QBs versus DT QBs we sign in the next few Gus recruiting classes.

wde

I forgot my sarcasm font. This was a desperate attempt at showing the desperation of our situation in a comical light.

Archived