NCAA Bans Satellite Camps (Ban Rescinded 4/28/16)

Auctoritas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course... their number 1 opponent was Saban. Not to say I don't think they were a bad thing, but you knew it was inevitable that they would be banned as soon as he spoke against them.

Of course... their number 1 opponent was Saban. Not to say I don't think they were a bad thing, but you knew it was inevitable that they would be banned as soon as he spoke against them.

Well then good for Saban....

BRAVO Nicky!

The ACC - Big12 - Pac12 - MWC - Sunbelt ALL voted against them. Nick Saban is a pretty powerful fella, but I'm just not willing to give him credit for having power and sway over that many conferences.

BRAVO Nicky!

The ACC - Big12 - Pac12 - MWC - Sunbelt ALL voted against them. Nick Saban is a pretty powerful fella, but I'm just not willing to give him credit for having power and sway over that many conferences.

We all know that those conference commissioners check with Nick before they vote on anything that he might object to....right? :dunno:

IMHO much ado about nothing.

I agree. This should be in the recruiting forum.

Thank you Captain Oblivious...Good natured ribbing.

Harbaugh is ticked about this. Saw some of it on Finebaum while channel surfing. He went after Freeze at Ole Miss and the SEC is being blamed for this.

• 3 weeks later...

Today the ban on satellite camps was rescinded and popular opinion won out.

@BarrettSallee:

"Confirmed that, without a national ban, the SEC's ban on satellite camps will be lifted on May 29."

We should go camping in Georgia and Florida....

@BarrettSallee:

"Confirmed that, without a national ban, the SEC's ban on satellite camps will be lifted on May 29."

@JeremyCrabtree:

"3 SEC coaches talked with since ruling said their schools going to go ahead with plans of #satellitecamps but all think waste of time."

@BarrettSallee:

@JeremyCrabtree:

"3 SEC coaches talked with since ruling said their schools going to go ahead with plans of #satellitecamps but all think waste of time."

I may be in the minority in this, but I totally agree with the decision to allow satellite camps. It's a protectionist move by the SEC and not in the best interest of the student athlete.

@BarrettSallee:

@JeremyCrabtree:

I may be in the minority in this, but I totally agree with the decision to allow satellite camps. It's a protectionist move by the SEC and not in the best interest of the student athlete.

I agree. But Herndon of al.com said it best. Florida camping in Michigan isn't the same thing as Michigan camping in Florida. I don't blame the SEC for trying to hold on to their resources.

We'll just have to see how the state of Texas likes it when an SEC school sets up camp in the middle of their turf.

The Big 12 doesn't want the camps either and they stand with the SEC, but now it will pretty much be a free for all.

We'll just have to see how the state of Texas likes it when an SEC school sets up camp in the middle of their turf.

The Big 12 doesn't want the camps either and they stand with the SEC, but now it will pretty much be a free for all.

Yup... I think that will be the downfall of the idea in the long term. If it was just the SEC vs the world, it would be one thing, but by making it a free-for-all, that means the SEC can fight fire with fire and Texas, above all places, is not going to be happy about that.

They already do...TAMU

There is so much talent in Texas that doesn't get a chance to be looked at by the SEC. If there were an SEC camp held in Texas there would be a lot more signed from Texas into the SEC.

This is another rich get richer turn for the worst. The rich schools will be able to do this, the financially strapped won't have the means to set up camp in exotic places. I don't think we'll have to worry about many schools invading our turf just out of cost alone.

Not to mention the SEC schools (Tennessee, LSU) that are broke as hell and will probably get terrible PR for attempting to do this. I see no good coming out of it.

Archived