NCAA Bans Satellite Camps (Ban Rescinded 4/28/16)

Auctoritas

This is another rich get richer turn for the worst. The rich schools will be able to do this, the financially strapped won't have the means to set up camp in exotic places. I don't think we'll have to worry about many schools invading our turf just out of cost alone.

Not to mention the SEC schools (Tennessee, LSU) that are broke as hell and will probably get terrible PR for attempting to do this. I see no good coming out of it.

LSU is one of the richest. They are far from needing the school to exist.

I think we are looking at the beginning of Super Conferences and a new football division.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/tommy-tuberville-and-auburn-conducting-a-satellite-camp-together

Brandon Marcello

SEC Country Staff

"AUBURN, Alabama — The ban on satellite camps have been lifted and one former Auburn coach wouldn’t mind teaming up with Gus Malzahn in Ohio this summer.

Cincinnati coach Tommy Tuberville tells SEC Country he would be interested in conducting a satellite camp in Ohio with Auburn, his former employer, this summer.

Auburn has not yet returned requests for comments on the NCAA’s decision today to lift the ban on satellite camps. SEC schools will be allowed to conduct satellite camps outside the usual 50-mile radius of their campus May 29.

Malzahn has long been against the idea of satellite camps — and so has the SEC — but he, like others, has thought of contingency plans in case the ban was rescinded by the NCAA.

Would Auburn interested in holding a camp in conjunction with Cincinnati? At least one side is open to the idea.

Tuberville was 85-40 during his 10-year tenure at Auburn, which ended with the 2008 season. His 2004 squad went undefeated."

Just an idea..

Herb Hand should be able to guide Auburn through the satellite camp waters fairlg smoothly...

"Herb Hand is partially responsible for making satellite camps a national issue in college football the past two years, now he could help Auburn capitalize.

Hand, now Auburn's offensive line coach, was on James Franklin's staff at Penn State when the Nittany Lions raised eyebrows in the SEC and ACC by holding satellite camps at Georgia State and Stetson in June 2014.

While the practice was in place previously, with Pac-12 and Big XII schools holding out-of-state camps within their conference footprints, it was Franklin and Hand, having just Vanderbilt for the Big Ten, who first caught the attention of their former SEC coaching brethren before Jim Harbaugh's tour with Michigan last summer, which included a stop in Prattville, took it even further.

"That's how we roll," Hand said in a text after Penn State's satellite camps became the focal point of the SEC's Spring Meetings in Destin, Florida in May 2014.

Now Hand could be part of helping Auburn organize camps as soon as May 29 after the NCAA Board of Directors rescinded the ban on satellite camps, effectively opening the floodgates for the SEC and ACC to take part.

"I know what the rules have been in the SEC, I know what the rules have been around the country," Hand told AL.com earlier this week. "I think the biggest thing is just want everybody to be on the same playing field. I understand the pluses and minuses to that whole issue seeing it first hand.

"The exposure for the kids is a plus, for the kids out there. The time away from only your families as coaches but also your players on campus - you have limited time that you can be around your guys during the summer and so you're spending more time away from campus away from your families as well, so that's a challenge, that's on the minus side."

The time away from home, particularly in June, was a sentiment expressed by many other SEC coaches, notably Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze.

Auburn tight ends and special teams coach Scott Fountain echoed that sentiment, as well as the preference to have players attend camps on campus.

"The biggest deal with Auburn is we get a kid on our campus it's such an awesome place, it's a great selling point," Fountain said. "I have been, years ago I was in the Sun Belt we did some travel camps and that was a good thing too but I just think for us getting kids on our campus is big. I will say satellite camps, probably the biggest negative about them it's that's more time away from home and my personal kids."

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has held ranks with his fellow SEC coaches in wanting the national rule to be the SEC's rule.

"The SEC (ban), I'm in line with that," Malzahn said following Auburn's A-Day game. "I think it's a good call."

It's unclear what Malzahn's plans are now that Auburn can take part in satellite camps but Hand will surely be an instrumental part of formulating the course of action.

"I do think that the exposure aspect of it, there's very few rocks that are unturned anymore," Hand said. "There's so much information out there on kids. The relationship aspect of it, it's an opportunity to start building a relationship or continue to develop a relationship. The other part of it that's a plus side of it is the promotion of the game. You have the promotion of your program where you're going into a region that maybe that's not part of your (recruiting) 'footprint' but just the promotion of the game of football.

"To go out and coach football, that does matter, particularly nowadays with the way things are going in the game and a lot of the challenges that we're facing as an industry and a game."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2016/04/herb_hand_auburn_satellite_cam.html#incart_river_mobileshort_index

*I hope a mod will format these articles for me.*

We'll just have to see how the state of Texas likes it when an SEC school sets up camp in the middle of their turf.

They already do...TAMU

I still see them as outsiders earning their cred... and doing a no so good job of it, thanks to their coach.

There is so much talent in Texas that doesn't get a chance to be looked at by the SEC. If there were an SEC camp held in Texas there would be a lot more signed from Texas into the SEC.

Exactly. If I were Gus, I'd already be planning a camp right smack in the middle of the best high schools down there.

The schools of east and deep east Texas have so much talent it's ridiculous. The issue is most are dirt poor and can't make it to camps. I had a safety sign with LA Monroe this year that could have played at any SEC school. 6'2 195 and ran a 4.4-4.5. The problem was the camps he was invited to he couldn't go because of money. There are 100's like him.

The schools of east and deep east Texas have so much talent it's ridiculous. The issue is most are dirt poor and can't make it to camps. I had a safety sign with LA Monroe this year that could have played at any SEC school. 6'2 195 and ran a 4.4-4.5. The problem was the camps he was invited to he couldn't go because of money. There are 100's like him.

Sounds like you need to have a little chat with Herb Hand.

This is another rich get richer turn for the worst. The rich schools will be able to do this, the financially strapped won't have the means to set up camp in exotic places. I don't think we'll have to worry about many schools invading our turf just out of cost alone.

Not to mention the SEC schools (Tennessee, LSU) that are broke as hell and will probably get terrible PR for attempting to do this. I see no good coming out of it.

Appreciate the sentiment but swing and a miss. Even though Michigan & tOSU are running these camps they are bringing smaller college w/ them that would not normally get to see Southern talent. This gives kids a chance to be seen by mid level P5 teams & as well as no P5 schools. Some will earn the opportunity to play at a bigger school than a local small school for the kids who aren't getting the looks from the big SEC schools.

Appreciate the sentiment but swing and a miss. Even though Michigan & tOSU are running these camps they are bringing smaller college w/ them that would not normally get to see Southern talent. This gives kids a chance to be seen by mid level P5 teams & as well as no P5 schools. Some will earn the opportunity to play at a bigger school than a local small school for the kids who aren't getting the looks from the big SEC schools.

Heard this point made a number of times on Sirus today....but most folks also figured the rich schools will benefit and more FBS teams will fall by the wayside.

My opinion on this whole thing is it's much ado about nothing. The big boys who come down like Michigan & tOSU find talent around the South w/out camps. What the camps will allow is them to find diamonds the Southern Powers are not in on. I have no issue w/ UM & tOSU getting those kids as it's likely a much better opportunity they will get down here. Also these camps can uncover talent the SEC schools had not noticed. If AU & Bama discovers an instate kid they want through these camps I find it hard to believe UM or tOSU would win too many of those battles.

Overall this helps the kids. Johnny Mo who would have had to play for a UAB type or lower down here gets discovered by Iowa St at a camp & gets offer to play in a P5 program.

Heard this point made a number of times on Sirus today....but most folks also figured the rich schools will benefit and more FBS teams will fall by the wayside.

If they fall by the waste side it's because it was going to happen anyway. The camps will not affect that. The camps actually allow the smaller schools to get better talent.

Is this for basketball? If so it might be an advantage for CBP. He could pick out a star recruit and hold a camp at his high school.

And boom. Auburn just announced that they are going to start hosting off-site camps. The article says they are looking at Florida and Atlanta. Schedule will be released next week.

Sounds like you need to get on the phone, Bird.

And boom. Auburn just announced that they are going to start hosting off-site camps. The article says they are looking at Florida and Atlanta. Schedule will be released next week.

Sounds like you need to get on the phone, Bird.

That change was as fast as Bo. AU sources told JLee yesterday Gus did not like the camps & wouldn't do them unless pressured by other coaches.

Article Lion referenced Link

With the NCAA reversing its stance and making off-site football camps legal again in a ruling Thursday, Auburn is poised to host a camp or camps out of state, multiple sources confirmed with AuburnUndercover.

Right now, the Tigers are in the planning stages.

The state of Florida has been mentioned as a possible spot. We are told multiple coaches on staff are hopeful the Tigers will have a camp (camps) in Florida.

It sounds like the Atlanta, Ga., area also is under consideration. That is perhaps Auburn's most important metropolitan area when it comes to recruiting.

A full camp schedule will be released next week.

For Auburn, a satellite camp will give the Tigers a chance to evaluate out-of-state/region prospects who might not have the means to travel to Auburn. Additionally, it's a chance to expand the brand to the most important people of all to a program -- recruits.

Auburn offensive line coach Herb Hand hinted this was coming in a Tweet on Thursday morning.

If they fall by the waste side it's because it was going to happen anyway. The camps will not affect that. The camps actually allow the smaller schools to get better talent.

Probably so but you can't pile but so many straws on a camel's back. ....IMO...this is just another one......and IMO the contention that the small schools will benefit is just "cover" for the decision.

If there were no benefit (primary benefit I'm talking) to the Power Five, nobody on the big school governing board would give a crap about it. This idea that I've heard argued, that this is some kind of an altruistic decision to help more kids find schollys or to help the smaller schools recruit is laughable.JMO

When was the last time the Power Five schools did anything to make life easier for the next level schools? Mostly right now they are looking for ways to cut their income by virtue of pushing for fewer OOC games and penalizing schools that play FCS teams......all in the best interest of the FCS no doubt.

Probably so but you can't pile but so many straws on a camel's back. ....IMO...this is just another one......and IMO the contention that the small schools will benefit is just "cover" for the decision.

If there were no benefit (primary benefit I'm talking) to the Power Five, nobody on the big school governing board would give a crap about it. This idea that I've heard argued, that this is some kind of an altruistic decision to help more kids find schollys or to help the smaller schools recruit is laughable.JMO

When was the last time the Power Five schools did anything to make life easier for the next level schools? Mostly right now they are looking for ways to cut their income by virtue of pushing for fewer OOC games and penalizing schools that play FCS teams......all in the best interest of the FCS no doubt.

1st anyone thinking the P5 schools are doing this for altruism is out of their mind. They are doing it for themselves. However that in no way makes this a wrong move. Who gives a rat's butkis what the motive is as long as it's a positive overall?

Now as for your straw statement I just don't see it so if you can explain why you see it that way it would be appreciated.

IMO this is one of those few occasions in life where everybody wins. P5 schools get to look for diamonds in the rough. It may help some local talent get noticed by local P5 schools. It allow non P5 schools to see a bigger & likely better talent pool w/ little or no added impact on their recruiting budgets. The return of that is it will allow some kids to travel to play for bigger schools instead of local smaller ones. I just don't see a negative here.

1st anyone thinking the P5 schools are doing this for altruism is out of their mind. They are doing it for themselves. However that in no way makes this a wrong move. Who gives a rat's butkis what the motive is as long as it's a positive overall?

Now as for your straw statement I just don't see it so if you can explain why you see it that way it would be appreciated.

IMO this is one of those few occasions in life where everybody wins. P5 schools get to look for diamonds in the rough. It may help some local talent get noticed by local P5 schools. It allow non P5 schools to see a bigger & likely better talent pool w/ little or no added impact on their recruiting budgets. The return of that is it will allow some kids to travel to play for bigger schools instead of local smaller ones. I just don't see a negative here.

I agree.....but only partly.....listened to a few of the bigger school coaches talking about this. Basically they already know who they want....the trips to Fl or Texas just give them opportunities to check out a few kids they are interested in without being bound by the NCAA contact limits. Technically they can't talk recruitment...but if Nick or Gus or Jim is out there helping coach some prospect, giving him hints, etc.....you mean that's not recruiting?

This is just the old "brush contact" that Nick specialize in made legal. Most of these school are just hoping to sway one or two top players away from their home area schools and this is a good way to do it without being limited to official visits and such. What better way to develop rapport with a prospect than spend some time showing the young guy "how we do things at Big State U"

Up until recently as I understand it, the coaches attended camps but did it on the own dime are were paid modest sums by the camp organizers to lend their names to the camp promotion pieces. These camps are money-makers for whoever conducts them and they had limited funds to bring in college coaches. Now the salaries and expenses for coaches "helping out" at these camps can be paid by their school so the camp sponsors apparently don't have to pay the coaches. This means (as I understand it) that coaches from smaller schools who might have picked up some extra money at these camps wont' be able to sell their services and if their schools want to be represented, they will have to pay their own expenses.

If anyone other than the Power 5 schools and some occasional unknown HS player benefits, it just an accident. Sorry to be so cynical about it but I get tired of hearing the shills for the Power Five schools ( ESPN, etc. ) make it sound like big time college football is all about doing for the "kids"....when we really know that its ....all about the money.

I agree.....but only partly.....listened to a few of the bigger school coaches talking about this. Basically they already know who they want....the trips to Fl or Texas just give them opportunities to check out a few kids they are interested in without being bound by the NCAA contact limits. Technically they can't talk recruitment...but if Nick or Gus or Jim is out there helping coach some prospect, giving him hints, etc.....you mean that's not recruiting?

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong & will be happy to admit it but these camps are going on in the evaluation period which means they can talk recruiting to the kids. I have followed recruiting intently for a very long time & I have never heard coaches could not recruit kids in the eval period, Even if you are right there are plenty of ways around it w/in the rules. Coaches can give a kid a lot of positive coaching feedback or just notice him. Later the coach tells the HS coach the school is offering the kid. The HS coach tells the kid. The kid & college coach follows each other & DMs on twitter. Presto! You have a recruitment w/in the rules.

Most of these school are just hoping to sway one or two top players away from their home area schools and this is a good way to do it without being limited to official visits and such. What better way to develop rapport with a prospect than spend some time showing the young guy "how we do things at Big State U"

Yes & there is nothing wrong w/ that. It's recruiting. The out of state schools will not beat in state major schools often for players the in state team wants.

if their schools want to be represented, they will have to pay their own expenses.

And as I already stated this will have little affect on those coaches recruiting budget. They are already going around recruiting. They can see more prospect in one area this way and from a better talent pool when talked about Northern small schools.

I get tired of hearing the shills for the Power Five schools ( ESPN, etc. ) make it sound like big time college football is all about doing for the "kids".

You must be watching different games or programs then because other than allowing the top ranked non P5 school to get an auto Big 6 Bowl Bid I have never heard anyone try to make what the P5 schools do to be benefit for smaller schools. & it's not their responsibility to.

If anyone other than the Power 5 schools and some occasional unknown HS player benefits, it just an accident.

Whether it's planned or not does not matter. It does benefit the kids even if it's slightly. Can't you just be happy for the kids, especially in the South, who are going to earn opportunities to play for mid to low level P5 schools at various places instead of being relegated to playing for a local small D1 or lower level school?

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong & will be happy to admit it but these camps are going on in the evaluation period which means they can talk recruiting to the kids. I have followed recruiting intently for a very long time & I have never heard coaches could not recruit kids in the eval period, Even if you are right there are plenty of ways around it w/in the rules. Coaches can give a kid a lot of positive coaching feedback or just notice him. Later the coach tells the HS coach the school is offering the kid. The HS coach tells the kid. The kid & college coach follows each other & DMs on twitter. Presto! You have a recruitment w/in the rules.

Most of these school are just hoping to sway one or two top players away from their home area schools and this is a good way to do it without being limited to official visits and such. What better way to develop rapport with a prospect than spend some time showing the young guy "how we do things at Big State U"

Yes & there is nothing wrong w/ that. It's recruiting. The out of state schools will not beat in state major schools often for players the in state team wants.

if their schools want to be represented, they will have to pay their own expenses.

And as I already stated this will have little affect on those coaches recruiting budget. They are already going around recruiting. They can see more prospect in one area this way and from a better talent pool when talked about Northern small schools.

I get tired of hearing the shills for the Power Five schools ( ESPN, etc. ) make it sound like big time college football is all about doing for the "kids".

You must be watching different games or programs then because other than allowing the top ranked non P5 school to get an auto Big 6 Bowl Bid I have never heard anyone try to make what the P5 schools do to be benefit for smaller schools. & it's not their responsibility to.

If anyone other than the Power 5 schools and some occasional unknown HS player benefits, it just an accident.

Whether it's planned or not does not matter. It does benefit the kids even if it's slightly. Can't you just be happy for the kids, especially in the South, who are going to earn opportunities to play for mid to low level P5 schools at various places instead of being relegated to playing for a local small D1 or lower level school?

E...I don't follow recruiting but I do follow college football in a "macro" .sense and have a pretty good idea what coaches and ADs are saying about the game and NCAA governance. So my next to favorite answer is..."time will tell"

And so it begins ...

Breaking News: Auburn Football will be guest coaches @MCAOFGA Fball Academy on June 9-10 @PlayBookAthlete

@MCAOFGA

Auburn just joined this satellite camp in Georgia at Woodland High School

image.jpg

How long before other conferences start wanting them banned because the SEC came and took over their stomping grounds?

The SEC and a few other schools have the ability and money to dominate the process....put staff at every significant "camp".

How long before other conferences start wanting them banned because the SEC came and took over their stomping grounds?

The SEC and a few other schools have the ability and money to dominate the process....put staff at every significant "camp".

Exactly. Before long, I bet there will be rules governing these camps so that all schools can visit and/or conduct the same amount of camps.

Archived