Jax State QB

tmjiv

Spurrier had trouble getting big time QB's at USCe. It happens.

Yes, well logic would say that USCe is not a big time program.

Logic also dictates that SCe is a good enough program, especially in an East division that was often weak, that Spurrier should have been able to get big time QBs given his track record.

How come Lou Holtz couldn't get big time recruits to USCe then? I don't give a damn how stellar of a reputation you have as a coach, if you aren't at a traditional powerhouse, you aren't going to continuously attract big time recruits whether you are in a weak division or not.

Ole Miss says How you doin?

Benjamin Franklin says Hi back. Find me a program, who is on par with USCe, from any of the power 5 schools, that is recruiting national prominent players consistently. The only two I can think of at USCe that was big time was Clowney and Marcus Lattimore, both being from South Carolina.

My point is Ole Miss is not a better program than SCe but they have done nicely bringing in big time talent under Freeze. It can be done @ mid teer P5 schools like Ole Miss & SCe. I would have agreed w/ you before Freeze.

You might want to pump the brakes on that one until we figure out what the NCAA finds. SMU was recruiting better than the big boys in the SWC too at one time.

That was the 1980's before P5 conferences had the power & money they have now. Like I said in another thread given today's athletic environment I don't think the NCAA will do anything to a P5 team besides pull a few schollies & at max a 2 year Bowl ban. For most teams that's just a slap on the wrist.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is Ole Miss is not a better program than SCe but they have done nicely bringing in big time talent under Freeze. It can be done @ mid teer P5 schools like Ole Miss & SCe. I would have agreed w/ you before Freeze.

I think the point that DAG and others are trying to make is that all signs are pointing to the fact that Freeze has been cheating to land those big prospects.

While I agree, it can be done, more often that not, it happens because they already have ties to the school. Outside of the potential money changing hands being investigated at Ole Miss, they landed their biggest prospects by either already having their lesser talented siblings on the roster or hiring their brother to be on the football staff. As DAG also pointed out. South Carolina's biggest gets have been in state prospects who get A LOT of local pressure to stay home. I can't think of an example where a top prospect went to a mid-tier school just because they liked it.

And my point on that is everybody cheats when looking at NCAA's outdated rules. Still donb't think they'll do much. They lost their stroke.

I think the point that DAG and others are trying to make is that all signs are pointing to the fact that Freeze has been cheating to land those big prospects.

While I agree, it can be done, more often that not, it happens because they already have ties to the school. Outside of the potential money changing hands being investigated at Ole Miss, they landed their biggest prospects by either already having their lesser talented siblings on the roster or hiring their brother to be on the football staff. As DAG also pointed out. South Carolina's biggest gets have been in state prospects who get A LOT of local pressure to stay home. I can't think of an example where a top prospect went to a mid-tier school just because they liked it.

Thank you. You put it in a much better manner than me.

And my point on that is everybody cheats when looking at NCAA's outdated rules. Still donb't think they'll do much. They lost their stroke.

I don't disagree with this.

I guess it's time for all of those insiders to start back tracking on the Eli predictions

Are there any songs titled "I guess it'll be sean" ??

The info did not pan out. It happens. No need to take shots at people who are nice enough to post the info they get. Especially considering the are not upity in posting their info.

It's comments like his that have driven away people from sharing information. Seems like that was a topic of conversation on the recruiting board not that long ago.

Comments like mine or hair's?

Not yours. I know you know the drill.

In this case I'm torn, just because Ole Miss beat Saban... twice... and the whole Saban/Emmert connection. I could see the NCAA using Ole Miss to try to make themselves look relevant again.

In any case, the point still stands that Ole Miss had to use tactics ranging from questionable to flat out against the rules to land their big name classes. The big schools, while their still might be cheating, don't have to do to land a handful of top talent. Of course, if you are in West Alabama, and want the #1 class every time along with far more than your share of top talent, then you just turn cheating into an art form.

I guess it's time for all of those insiders to start back tracking on the Eli predictions

The info did not pan out. It happens. No need to take shots at people who are nice enough to post the info they get. Especially considering the are not upity in posting their info.

By his senior year, if developed right Sean could be an Aaron Murray-level passer, as he'll likely have two senior HBs and a veteran corps of talented receivers (KD, NCM, ES).

^I was trying to think of any successful pro-style QB. Regardless of whether he was our first choice in that recruiting cycle, he was not just some guy we settled for at the last moment. Sooner or later we've got to find a good ranked guy who works out (which I think we can).

If we have games in which we can put in some backups, it might not be a bad idea to give WB small bits of playing time to slowly prepare him for an eventual starting job--unless the coaches want to have him for five years, either choice I can understand.

how is Eli not being able to graduate on time new though, I feel like this is something the coaches would have known about a while ago. Unless he failed his spring classes or something. In that case, I don't see how it's inside info. Seems more like small talk from people "close" to the program that really didn't know what was up.

The confidence those insiders had about him coming was quite high, makes me wonder why you'd talk it up like fact when there's no chance it was going to happen.

Granted these are many of the same people I see bickering at others about brining up already asked questions and other silly stuff like that.

Guess it's time for you to crawl back under a rock.

.......good one?

how is Eli not being able to graduate on time new though, I feel like this is something the coaches would have known about a while ago. Unless he failed his spring classes or something. In that case, I don't see how it's inside info. Seems more like small talk from people "close" to the program that really didn't know what was up.

The confidence those insiders had about him coming was quite high, makes me wonder why you'd talk it up like fact when there's no chance it was going to happen.

Granted these are many of the same people I see bickering at others about brining up already asked questions and other silly stuff like that.

Remember, the few people that actually know Eli personally said he wouldn't leave Jax State. How/why all the message board talk got and maintained legs I don't know. From what I saw on this message board, it was 99% wishful thinking by fans that don't like our current QB situation. It's possible that our coaches didn't care when he graduated because they had moved on long ago, if they were indeed ever interested.

how is Eli not being able to graduate on

time new though, I feel like this is something the coaches would have known about a while ago. Unless he failed his spring classes or something. In that case, I don't see how it's inside info. Seems more like small talk from people "close"

to the program that really didn't know what was up.

The confidence those insiders had about him coming was quite high, makes me wonder why you'd talk it up like fact when there's no chance

it was going to happen.

How would the coaches know his status/grades outside of what he told them? Coaches do not have that access to other schools grades. Jenkens could have easily not passed a course this spring. Kids don't qualify all the time even after they have signed to come.

time new though, I feel like this is something the coaches would have known about a while ago. Unless he failed his spring classes or something. In that case, I don't see how it's inside info. Seems more like small talk from people "close"

The confidence those insiders had about him coming was quite high, makes me wonder why you'd talk it up like fact when there's no chance

it was going to happen.

How would the coaches know his status/grades outside of what he told them? Coaches do not have that access to other schools grades. Jenkens could have easily not passed a course this spring. Kids don't qualify all the time even after they have signed to come.

Very rare w/ 4 year transfers.

Lol. Now the coaches may not have ever been interested lol

Who said that? They were definitely interested. Gus as much as said they were interested in the last couple AU club meetings when he said we were exploring all avenues @ QB.

Who said that? They were definitely interested. Gus as much as said they were interested in the last couple AU club meetings when he said we were exploring all avenues @ QB.

I said they may not have been interested in Jenkins. Gus may have said they would take a transfer QB if the right one came available. If he ever said they'd take Jenkins I missed that session.

I said they may not have been interested in Jenkins. Gus may have said they would take a transfer QB if the right one came available. If he ever said they'd take Jenkins I missed that session.

yes he would have committed serious problems. Eli was all speculation.

He didn't but it was clear based on all the surrounding info he was in part at least referring to Eli. He can't mention him specifically remember.

I guess it's time for all of those insiders to start

back tracking on the Eli predictions

The info did not pan out. It happens. No need to take shots at people who are nice

enough to post the info they get. Especially considering the are not upity in posting their info.

time new though, I feel like this is something the coaches would have known about a while ago. Unless he failed his spring classes or something.

In that case, I don't see how it's inside info. Seems more like small talk from people "close"

The confidence those insiders had about him coming was quite high, makes me wonder why

you'd talk it up like fact when there's no chance

it was going to happen.

How would the coaches know his status/grades outside of what he told them? Coaches do not have that access to other schools grades. Jenkens could have easily not passed a course this spring. Kids don't qualify all

the time even after they have signed to come.

Very rare w/ 4 year transfers.

You can be a great student but if you mess around and not pass a required course in your final semester then you dont graduate. My point is you are either on track to graduate or your not. Unless the kid supplies his transcripts,

coaches don't know.

Archived