AU To SEC East?

SphyNxXx

Seeing some rumblings on the Twitter machine tonight about possible discussions of Auburn moving to the SEC East. Looks like Gus may have said in an interview that it is being discussed.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was some talk about an SEC realignment and Gus made the comment when asked, that he would not be opposed to moving to the east. What holds that up is the Iron Bowl. In order for us to move to the east, Alabama has to lose either Auburn or Tennessee. I dont know if that will be allowed.

Don't know if this is just someone's hypothesis or what, but something I am see is both AU and the turds moving East and Missouri and Vandy moving West.

Don't know if this is just someone's hypothesis or what, but something I am see is both AU and the turds moving East and Missouri and Vandy moving West.

Well LSU would dominate and be in SEC title game every year

Well LSU would dominate and be in SEC title game every year

Yup. The division would be renamed the SEC LSU or Corndog Division.

Apparently there will be talk about reallignment at the next SEC meeting but I don't expect they get anywhere.

Apparently there will be talk about reallignment at the next SEC meeting but I don't expect they get anywhere.

Yeah. Would have to dump schedules, reschedule all the way into 2025 years.

Not that it isn't possible.

Just not sure what it means when people say, "Auburn is more of a SEC east team anyways"???

Could see Alabama not wanting to get rid of Tennessee out of spite but WHO knows.

Wonder where this all came from?

When the rivalry was at its worst (around Toomer's Oak poisoning time), there was a LOT of discussion about moving to the East. And it made literally no sense for Missouri to be added to the East when they entered, if geography means anything (which apparently it may not). I am all for it...rivalries be hanged. Most SEC states have a professional team to unite behind, but we have none. That may make a difference in the "volatile" nature of our in-state rivalry even though the Egg Bowl and all of the rest of the "in-state" rivalries like to claim the seriousness of their rivalry. They haven't seen net. I don't mind nor am I afraid of the competition or how the nature of schedules, staffing, and recruitment affect any team's performance record over time cycles. I am talking about gameday experience and, more importantly, what it's like to cohabitate the other 364 days of the year.

:jossun:

I miss the annual games with Tenn. and Florida. I don't expect my opinion to carry much weight in the meetings :) They cannot move both UAT and AU to the east. That would create a terrible imbalance between divisions.

We could drop bama as a yearly opponent and I'd be fine. I don't care if we start winning against them again, I have grown to dislike the fivalry since moving back to Alabama.

Move us to the East and keep Bama in the west. Much rather have annual games with the likes of UF and TENN anyway. Plus we still have the deep south's oldest rivalry with the pups.

We're not dropping Bama. The issue would be that we'd play Bama on Iron Bowl week, then could potentially play them again in the SECCG.

We could drop bama as a yearly opponent and I'd be fine. I don't care if we start winning against them again, I have grown to dislike the fivalry since moving back to Alabama.

I share your same disdain. I could live without the iron bowl.

did you guys grow up outside of Alabama?

Don't worry big fella, AU doesn't have to coincide with Alabama in every single thing it does. It won't melt and the University won't go into the dark ages. I promise. And yes, I have actually had the chance to cross out from the Bama borders. I might do you some good. If anything, we would face them in the SEC Championship game, which is more meaningful anyhow. I am looking at what is best for AU, here.

I have lived half my life in Alabama and half of it out of it. Honestly win or lose it is nice to be away from them. It was nice living in Chicago with the ND, Michigan, and Ohio State fans, cause they all can't stand Bama because of its fan-base also. One of the things I am looking forward to in my move to Austin.

I am with those that don't care if the Iron Bowl goes poof. Just sitting inside their stadium listening to them chant **** Auburn **** Auburn **** Auburn over and over really made me just go this just needs to end. I even wrote their athletic department a letter over that about how embarrassing and hostile their campus felt.

Yeah. Would have to dump schedules, reschedule all the way into 2025 years.

Not that it isn't possible.

Just not sure what it means when people say, "Auburn is more of a SEC east team anyways"???

Easy. AU has longer & deeper Rivalries w/ SEC East teams except for Bama in the West, Notably Florida, Tennessee, & UGA all over LSU which is our #2 Rivalry in the West.

We've had this discussion hundreds of times. Everybody says the same things every time. Why not jut wait and see if it happens rather than parroting all these what if scenarios for the 100th time? Links are always required when making those kind of statements that are in the OP.

found some links...NONE of which are remotely credible to any possibility. But that's never stopped some from running with it..

NCAAFootballGossip@NCAAFballGossip 8h8 hours ago

Gus Malzahn thinks there will be talk of SEC realignment: If the SEC decides to realign its divisions for foot... http://foxs.pt/1SBnHXf

C51TGtmk_bigger.jpg College Spun@CollegeSpun 9h9 hours ago

Auburn To The SEC East? Gus Malzahn Thinks There Will Be A "Discussion" About Realignment http://collegespun.c...realignment …

We've had this discussion hundreds of times. Everybody says the same things every time. Why not jut wait and see if it happens rather than parroting all these what if scenarios for the 100th time? I'm on twitter and haven't seen one mention about a realignment discussion anywhere. Links are always required when making those kind of statements that are in the OP.

Then you are not following a handful of AU reporters plus 3 AU news outlets now have a story out from Gus's comments yesterday. Here are the tweets I saw

@RyanABlack 9h9 hours ago

Gus Malzahn believes 'discussion' will be had on potential Auburn move to SEC East http://auburn.247spo...st-44799520 …

@ClowESPN 12h12 hours ago

If the SEC shuffles things, @CoachGusMalzahn wouldn't be opposed to Auburn moving to the East. "I think there will be discussion on that."

@ClowESPN 12h12 hours ago

Only way anybody at Alabama or Auburn would be for Auburn moving to the East is if they still played every year.

@bmarcello 10h10 hours ago

Auburn to SEC East? Gus Malzahn says there could be ‘discussion’ https://www.seccount...d-be-discussion

@JamesCrepea 10h10 hours ago

Auburn in the SEC East? Gus Malzahn believes "discussion" will be had for possible move, per report http://www.al.com/au...st_gus_mal.html

I agree we are beating a dead horse but you gotta understand that when our coach discusses it a thread about reallignment will pop up on the site.

We're not dropping Bama. The issue would be that we'd play Bama on Iron Bowl week, then could potentially play them again in the SECCG.

The game could be moved to earlier in the season, maybe towards the beginning. While some recent games have decided the national champ picture in some epic games, if the teams were both top teams they would meet again in Atlanta.

This is too good to be true. Don't hold your breath. We will be stuck in the loaded division of the SECw.

This is too good to be true. Don't hold your breath. We will be stuck in the loaded division of the SECw.

I'm not convinced that the two Mississippi programs can maintain this level of competition indefinitely.

I'm not convinced that the two Mississippi programs can maintain this level of competition indefinitely.

Miss St is fluky right now. The Rebs will maintain as long as Freeze is there & they are not under NCAA Penalty.

Archived